PDA

View Full Version : where to get mackerel

pasadenafishin
05-31-2009, 08:53 PM
Where should i go to get fresh mackerel? i am to lazy to go catch them off a pier and just want to buy some. I have heard asian markets have some, but i have also heard not to get it from those markets because they have pure white meat? where do you guys buy your fresh mack?

Troutman65
05-31-2009, 09:02 PM
Where should i go to get fresh mackerel? i am to lazy to go catch them off a pier and just want to buy some. I have heard asian markets have some, but i have also heard not to get it from those markets because they have pure white meat? where do you guys buy your fresh mack?

Your right about the white meat. It's because they bleed them so people eat them. I have used the Asain Market Mackeral and fish for CATFISH and caught many. The Mackeral is oily and that helps attract them. ( CATFISH ) Plus , You may catch some nice bass while your CATFISHING too. For some reason the bass at Irvine Lake like the other white meat. :LOL: You can buy mackeral at Irvine Lake also. Frozen ( Great bait ) & the Du Mongs ( pre cut and sented, Garlic, Shrimp, etc. ) Hope this helps you out.:Big Grin:

pasadenafishin
05-31-2009, 09:06 PM
Your right about the white meat. It's because they bleed them so people eat them. I have used the Asain Market Mackeral and fish for CATFISH and caught many. The Mackeral is oily and that helps attract them. ( CATFISH ) Plus , You may catch some nice bass while your CATFISHING too. For some reason the bass at Irvine Lake like the other white meat. :LOL: You can buy mackeral at Irvine Lake also. Frozen ( Great bait ) & the Du Mongs ( pre cut and sented, Garlic, Shrimp, etc. ) Hope this helps you out.:Big Grin:

so i can still use the white mackerel?

samgann93
05-31-2009, 09:14 PM
when do you need the mackerel by?

pasadenafishin
05-31-2009, 09:18 PM
when do you need the mackerel by?

no specific time, i was just wondering for catfish season

Troutman65
05-31-2009, 09:24 PM
so i can still use the white mackerel?

Yes, I use it and it works fine. I do spray some Bang Garlic on it.

Troutman65
05-31-2009, 09:26 PM
One other thing, when its fresh like that I keep the Mackeral on Ice. ( Real Imporant ) I just cut a pice off that I am going to use then I put the rest back on Ice.

Ifishtoolittle
05-31-2009, 09:36 PM
By white macks and sun it for a little while to stink them up and bam! Superpowered bait.

samgann93
05-31-2009, 09:37 PM
i might be going down to newport this friday and could hook you up with any leftover macks. im not forsure if im going though.

jlgarciaiii22
05-31-2009, 10:12 PM
I believe this is called spanish mackerel .The white works just fine.... Just spoil it in the sun while fishing! But the stink is hard to get off your hands.

dixoncider
06-01-2009, 06:32 AM
Seems to me once they have been frozen they don/t stay on the hook as well.

DocHolliday
06-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Ive had good luck using the asian market mack, but the best is hitting up the local pier and slaying it right there.