PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Licence Question

dmk112
06-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Did a search on this but couldn't find anything useful (Maybe I'm spelling it wrong??).

I just want to clarify if and/or where do I need a fishing licence to fish in the California ocean. Surf, boat, etc.

Thanks! (Just moved here from New Jersey and we don't need one there for any type of saltwater fishing)

Fisherman57
06-20-2007, 11:19 PM
California Fishing License WITH a "ocean enhancement stamp" is required for all you mentioned.

Welcome to the board!

Click below for more detailed info:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/fishing ... scrip.html (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/fishing/fishdescrip.html)

Fish Dog
06-20-2007, 11:24 PM
The only place you don't need a license is fishing from an OCEAN FRONT public pier or a HARBOR MOUTH jetty. Bay front piers & docks and sand retention jetties, (such as in West Newport) you DO need a license. Any fishing from a boat you need a license. The only way to get away without a license is if your under 16 years old. Just buy one so you don't have to worry...I hear the fine is something like $650.

Funjunkie74
06-21-2007, 07:32 AM
Including all the above information, you can purchase the LICENSE at most sporting goods stores and giant retailers (Walmart, KMart..etc) as long as they have it in stock.

If you think or know that you're not going to do a lot of fishing, you could always purchase a "One-Day License" at the landing.

Most of us "maximizers" will buy the license either on December 31 (if we're lucky) or January 1st so we can feel like we're maximizing the usage of our $40+!! LOL!!

I recommend going to a tackle shop and talking to the people there. Not only will they carry the license to sell, they should also have the DFG handbook that explains all of the regulations in some kind of encoded English. 57 gave you a link that you can DL the same guide, I find that the guide makes for good reading while sitting on "the throne".

GET OUT AND HOOK UP!! :twisted:

FJ74

dmk112
06-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the info. What about party boats that go out? Still need one for that?

Funjunkie74
06-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the info. What about party boats that go out? Still need one for that?

ABSOLUTELY!
DFG have been boarding more boats this year checking for licenses and bag limits. And the landing will ask you and require you to have one.

As I mentioned previously, all of your questions can be answered in the handbook, so pick one up.

And as mentioned by Fish Dog, get one with the Ocean Enhancement and you'll never have to ask another question again.

FJ74

BBL2Baja
06-21-2007, 02:39 PM
I'd concur with Funjunkie. Anyone new to Pacific Coast fishing should have one of the reg books in full. There are off-limit species and length and bag limits to know as well.

In addition, if you fish Mexican waters (where some of the best fishing is) you'll need to get a Mexican license as well. Those are sold by the landings when you depart into Baja waters.

Good Luck! Welcome to the Left Coast and to FNN!!!

8)

Later,
Scott

dmk112
06-21-2007, 07:17 PM
Too many rules in this state! Why can't we just have a United States licence...that would make much more sense.

sansou
06-21-2007, 07:26 PM
Too many rules in this state! Why can't we just have a United States licence...that would make much more sense.

Bad idea.....unless of course you're stoked some mindless bureacrat in D.C. has a say on how/when/where & how much fishing you get to do. I like my mindless bureacrats to be local, where I have a little more say on the matter. :wink:

Daus
06-21-2007, 07:26 PM
dmk112,

If you think just california rules/regs are confusing.. imagine trying to memorize 50 state's worth of rules and regs for a single federal fishing license.

If you fish often, the rules are not at voluminous as you think. But the single most important rule is... you need a fishing license.

SanDimasLMB
06-21-2007, 10:23 PM

ABSOLUTELY!
DFG have been boarding more boats this year checking for licenses and bag limits. And the landing will ask you and require you to have one.

As I mentioned previously, all of your questions can be answered in the handbook, so pick one up.

And as mentioned by Fish Dog, get one with the Ocean Enhancement and you'll never have to ask another question again.

FJ74

Speaking of the DFG, me, Hakeveli, Zzang and his friend Alex were on the Spitfire(see report) and we were signaled to pull over although we were not boarded, so be sure to have your license ABOVE waist guys

Cangler
06-22-2007, 07:17 AM
[quote="Fish Dog"]The only place you don't need a license is fishing from an OCEAN FRONT public pier or a HARBOR MOUTH jetty.

That explains why ive always wondered why i was
the only one wearing a licence ...

xahx
06-23-2007, 10:07 PM
will cost ya like $40-$46 from BIg 5! or any fishing specialty store!

Jager
06-23-2007, 10:34 PM
That explains why ive always wondered why i was
the only one wearing a licence ...

:rofl:

FishNutz
07-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Hi, Me and my friend have a debate if we need a ocean enhancement stamp for surf fishing, fishing on the beach. Thanks to this post, I was right that we don't need ocean enhancement for jetty and breakwall. But we are still a lil bit confuse about surf fishing on the beach and does it require the ocean enhancement stamp??

sansou
07-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Hi, Me and my friend have a debate if we need a ocean enhancement stamp for surf fishing, fishing on the beach. Thanks to this post, I was right that we don't need ocean enhancement for jetty and breakwall. But we are still a lil bit confuse about surf fishing on the beach and does it require the ocean enhancement stamp??

Yes on the enhancement stamp for surf fishing.

Not to confuse you too much, but not just any jetty or breakwall is considered "public" for the purposes of not needing a fishing license. Please read the DFG rules (available online) carefully.

Fish Dog
07-12-2007, 12:32 AM
Anywhere you need a license south of Point Conception you need the stamp.

rusty6
07-12-2007, 03:53 PM
yeah, i was up in morro bay at virg's landing and was told that up there the license doubles in salt and fresh...glad im going to school up there, saves me 5 bucks when i get my license