PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Lagoon 5-31-09

swimbait101
05-31-2009, 07:25 PM
Hey everybody, i got up to hit the lagoon on sunday. This time i didnt bring my boat. The weather looked good and i hpoed it would drive some fisherman off the lake but it was pretty crowded. So i started fishing the area left of the ramp for trout. i fished there for one hour with no bites but i saw a 15 sec boil in the middle of the lake. Later, i moved to the left of the weeds on the rocks. As soon as i got there i see a huge bass come by. I call my dad to go bring alll our stuff over there. I started to try to catch bait, sunfish, i caught 2 good bat size and one tiny one one a trout magnet in white. So for the next 4 hours im trying to cath that bass. It followed all my swimbaits i threw out but never striked it. I switch to the sunfish but he just comes up and looks at it. i got really frustrated at that bass. He wcame right in front of me at least 20 times that day. I saw some guys catching trout on PB

Later

EdSakabu
05-31-2009, 10:30 PM
Hey swimbait, sounds like you were on a bass that was on his bed. The only way to get them to bite is to irritate them enough to grab your lure (best bet if something like a lizard, plastic crawdad, zipper or even a worm). From the shore you can very slowly drag something across the bed and twitch it. It will pick it up to get it out of there and thats when you set the hook. Just make sure to release it at the same location and it's protecting eggs. Many think this is unethical because they are such easy targets. It can take hours to get the fish to "strike".

--Ed

Captain Castaic
06-01-2009, 05:25 AM
Just an FYI Swimbait...it is illegal to use Sunfish or any other fish except for shad as "bait". Dont get caught...HEAVY FINE.

C.C.

swimbait101
06-01-2009, 05:12 PM
I think you are right ed because the cold water inflow from the upper lake has delayed the spawn. Now that i think about it, it makes sense. When i saw the bass it was chasing away bluegills that probably wanted to eat the eggs.

Ill try not to use 'gills for bait again (: :)

jonshibata
06-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Do or do not! There is no try!

-- Yoda

swimbait101
06-02-2009, 02:42 PM
"Do Not", is what i pick (: :)