PDA

View Full Version : Airline Baggage Help Please

calico killer kevin
05-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Hey everyone, I'm going to Kauai on the 11th and was wondering if anyone here has transported a surfboard through any airlines before. We'll be flying United and I just called the baggage peeople, but it's so hard to understand what they're saying. What I got out of the phonecall is that the board must be under 109", under 50lbs, must check in 30 minutes earlier than normal, and that it will cost $175. They said it would cost $175 EACH WAY! That's just nuts.

Is there any other way to ship a 7'2" board without having to choke your wallet cold?

ghetto dad
05-30-2009, 04:16 PM
damn kid, is there anything you DONT do??? Fish, Surf, build rods, child prodigy, etc.......:ROFL:

have fun and be safe man

GD

Troutman65
05-30-2009, 04:27 PM
How about you rent a board when you get there, or buy one ? That just seems like too much money to bring your surf board along.

troutdog
05-30-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm not sure if this is a fair comparison because I don't surf, but when I would ski outside of Cali I would just demo a killer pair and forget about having to deal with transporting my own skis and risk them being damaged. For $350 I bet you could rent something pretty sweet and not deal with hassle...just another option to consider if you already haven't. have a great trip Kev.

TD

calico killer kevin
05-30-2009, 04:45 PM
damn kid, is there anything you DONT do??? Fish, Surf, build rods, child prodigy, etc.......:ROFL:

have fun and be safe man

GD
And that's when I'm not doing geometry honors homework, playing basketball, lacrosse games, and curing cancer lol. Thank for the comment GD.

How about you rent a board when you get there, or buy one ? That just seems like too much money to bring your surf board along.
That's what I'm gonna end up doing if I can't tansport my board. I just hate the soft tops that most of the rentals are. Thanks TM65

I'm not sure if this is a fair comparison because I don't surf, but when I would ski outside of Cali I would just demo a killer pair and forget about having to deal with transporting my own skis and risk them being damaged. For $350 I bet you could rent something pretty sweet and not deal with hassle...just another option to consider if you already haven't. have a great trip Kev.

TD
$350 is more than what we're paying for the whole week's worth of hotel there lol. Yeah, seems like I'm gonna have to rent a board. Thanks TD

tacklejunkie
05-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Watch that coral bro!
That stuff hurts! Almost lost my life in the hawaii surf! Be careful for me!

Skyler
05-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Have you thought about UPS, Fedex, or USPS? I'm thinking it would be quite a bit cheaper than $175 each way (I could be wrong). Just make arrangements ahead of time and have it shipped to the hotel. Either way, I'm sure you'd have a better time riding a board you are familiar with than some beat-up rental.

Sue
05-31-2009, 07:36 PM
And that's when I'm not doing geometry honors homework, playing basketball, lacrosse games, and curing cancer lol. Thank for the comment GD.

That's what I'm gonna end up doing if I can't tansport my board. I just hate the soft tops that most of the rentals are. Thanks TM65

$350 is more than what we're paying for the whole week's worth of hotel there lol. Yeah, seems like I'm gonna have to rent a board. Thanks TD

Smart *** :LOL: Have a good trip!

calico killer kevin
06-01-2009, 12:11 AM
Watch that coral bro!
That stuff hurts! Almost lost my life in the hawaii surf! Be careful for me!
Wow, I will for sure. I have no idea what the water temps are out there right now so I'm gonna bring a spring suit and a full suit just in case. Appreciate it TJ.

Have you thought about UPS, Fedex, or USPS? I'm thinking it would be quite a bit cheaper than $175 each way (I could be wrong). Just make arrangements ahead of time and have it shipped to the hotel. Either way, I'm sure you'd have a better time riding a board you are familiar with than some beat-up rental.
The board is way too oversized to ship it through any of those and I've had a few rods broken through FedUp, so even if I could, I'm a little weary. Yeah, I hope they have some nice rentals out there, cause foam tops are boring as hell. Thanks Sky.

Smart *** :LOL: Have a good trip!
I try lol. Can't be the smartest one in the class cause I've got a B+ and I'm still the 5th lowest grade in the class lol. THanks Sue.