PDA

View Full Version : Bluegill lures

fishmounter
05-30-2009, 02:10 PM
This little Balsawood Firetiger Bagley Bang-O-Lure suspending bait (on the right) has been just an awesome Big Bluegill lure at Lake Perris. It has caught several over 2 lb fish and the old lake record 3 pounder. They slow trolled it in 15 ft of water outside the "Twin Palms" area. I have a couple of these baits, but I am afraid to use them, because they stopped making them around 1994, and I know I'll loose it on a snag or big fish.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m121/fishmounter/BGlures.jpg

SkipperDick
05-30-2009, 02:56 PM
Hey Jeff, I have one of the ones on the left. But all you need is a Fat Ika! Jedi caught a "healthy" Blue Gill on one the other night. The sucker engulfed it!

SkipperDick

Skyler
05-30-2009, 05:30 PM
Run that bad boy on 10-12 pound test. The water is so stained at Perris I don't think the 'gills will notice anyways. If those shore guys on the east end with big surf rods and 30 pound test can catch 'em all day on a high low rig, I don't think lineshyness is an issue, lol.

JediMindTricks
05-31-2009, 10:53 AM
Hey Jeff, I have one of the ones on the left. But all you need is a Fat Ika! Jedi caught a "healthy" Blue Gill on one the other night. The sucker engulfed it!

SkipperDick

indeed i did. you ever known anyone to catch a bluegill on a fat ika, Jeff?
lol

JediMindTricks
05-31-2009, 11:30 AM
Run that bad boy on 10-12 pound test. The water is so stained at Perris I don't think the 'gills will notice anyways. ...

Berkley VANISH.
If the line is invisible, why not use a larger test?

I have had this arguement with many people. I use 12 to 14. I have never had a problem catching fish with it, feeling a bite, or anything else. Maybe i cast 5-10 feet shorter, but i can still launch my **** pretty damn far.

Most people are stubborn, and think you HAVE to use 8lb test or smaller to catch a bass. Or you wont feel the bite as good, or blah blah blah. thats BS! Only time im not using Vanish, is when im using top water baits because Vanish sinks. OR if im fishing heavy heavy cover, than i'll use braid.

fishmounter
05-31-2009, 11:30 AM
That's crazy Jedi! A Fat Ika is a big piece of plastic! I'll bet it was a chunky Green Sunfish. (it's kinda hard to tell them from Bluegill in the dark) Those more aggresive Greenies have a larger mouth than the 'Gills do and they will even try to inhale a good sized bass plug!

That Dang Guy
05-31-2009, 12:15 PM
Seen them caught on tiny ikas, but never fat ikas. That bluegill would have to be a beast to eat that thing!

Crawler
06-08-2009, 07:29 PM
I caught a small gill on a perch colored thomas buoyant at Irvine once. :LOL:

No way in hell was he going to get his mouth around it. :ROFL:

calico killer kevin
06-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Fat Ika! If it was a gill, it was a very lucky catch and will for sure not be a consistent lure. The smallest(tiny?) ika is pretty good for the bigger gills because it imitates a small craw very well and they can usually take it in one slurp. Some of the new Yamamoto panfish lures are very good.

As for Vanish being "invisible", that's what almost all fluorocarbon line manufacturers advertise. Some fall for it, some don't. It's false advertising. Fluorocarbon as a whole is less visible than mono, copoly, or braid, but it has far more memory, so its life is much shorter.

Fishmounter, have you tried eBay'ing it? They're usually pretty good for hard to find lures, but you could also try to carve one out of balsa. Seeing as you're a panfish aficionado, you could take all of the attributes you like for bluegill lures and compose it into a complete package. Or you can have TJ hand craft one for you haha.

DarkShadow
06-09-2009, 12:55 PM
There are plenty of hard baits available for bluegill and obtaining them is half the fun.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/6388/63112533.jpg

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/6924/74202698.jpg

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3397/88428527.jpg

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/6404/92166098.jpg

etc, etc, etc....

Skyler
06-09-2009, 01:02 PM
I caught a small gill on a perch colored thomas buoyant at Irvine once. :LOL:

No way in hell was he going to get his mouth around it. :ROFL:

The gills at Irvine are pretty optimistic when it comes to what they can and can't fit in their mouths. I once caught like ten of 'em on 2 inch cubes of mackeral, fished on a c-rig for catfish. They wouldn't leave the stuff alone, lol.

Socal Bassman
06-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Them 'gills at perris can be aggressive when the sun goes down. I've caught several 'gills and greenies in the 2lb range yo yo-ing a 1/2oz spinnerbait. The Lucky Craft Pointer 65 and 78 has it's share of panfish catches as well.

tacklejunkie
06-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Caught a gill at Perris late in the day on a little bass jig once!
When they're on, the gills are crazy there. :LOL:

Troutman65
06-12-2009, 12:08 AM
Fishmounter, The picture with the lure on the right was made in 1944 ? :Shocked: Wow , its in great condition. I don't think I would fish it any more either.:Wink: Thanks for the pic. & post.

DS, Those are some :Cool: looking lures too. :Big Grin:

fishmounter
06-12-2009, 05:54 PM
1944? Huh? You better get new glasses. It says 1994... NINETY FOUR