PDA

View Full Version : Best way to sell a car?

tacklejunkie
05-30-2009, 09:06 AM
OK so I paid the honda down to $13k from $36K +taxes.
I have it on craigs list and have had four people come to look at it.
The car bluebooks at like 16- 18,000. depending on condition. They are getting a steal! I'm trying to slang it for what I owe (13K)

Why is nobody buying?

I've listed this car before as well and had people come look but no sale.
Is it just the times? What's the best way to sell a used car now days? I thought everyone was doing the craigslist thing to hock stuff off?
I'm sick of the bonesheads who know nothing about this car coming over and test driving it. They don't even know how to use a 6speed transmision or a clutch! Don't people research how to work a car they might buy that they don't know how to drive?

If I would have been like this when I went to buy my first street bike I might have totaled it before I got it out of the sellers driveway!

Fisherman57
05-30-2009, 09:40 AM
Casey,

If the car is indeed a steal and priced great........ park it across the street from a Honda dealership and hang a for sale sign on it with the price and your phone number....

Now the Honda dealer probably wont be too happy...... BUT

You'll sell it. LOL!

With the major automakers working to just stay afloat & dealerships closing left and right, its a buyers market right now, so I would expect a tougher sell these days as there's lots of good deals to be had on new & used cars right now.

Good luck with the sale.

Dana

tacklejunkie
05-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Man I think we owed something like 18K on it 6-7 months ago last time we tried to sell it. It's just sitting here in the garage while I pay registration and insurance and put new tires, brakes and had the tiny windsheild nick fixed.

The only thing wrong with it is a dent that could be patched for under 1K I'm positive. (a whole new bolt on fender is only like $500) It happened when my GF was backing out with her truck and barely tapped it with her bumper because it's so small she couldn't see the car in her rear view over the huge new style square F-150 truck bed.

Hence why we are selling the car 3-5K off! The dent is pretty minor, does not effect the way the car drives or any of the lights. The paint is all still there on the dent even and the dent is pictured and advertised so nobody should be surprised when they come to see it. Just needs to be pulled and maybe painted again on the front left fender. No biggie! With the money they saved they can go get it done in a day and still have money for lunch and rent.

I would think this car would be gone by now. Others are selling theirs 2002 with modifications and 100,000mi for 20k while mine is 2006 bone stock no racing on this one (that's what the last one was for!) and only 48,000mi on it for $13,8K

Clean title and reg paid till next april!

Crazy world out there I guess. Tough times indeed. Not so much of a market for the 2 seater convertible at this point in time I guess either.

Putting it out front of the dealership is starting to sound like a good idea.
I'll get a truck one of these days! Can't say I haven't been trying for months. :LOL:

GeordyBass
05-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Man I think we owed something like 18K on it 6-7 months ago last time we tried to sell it. It's just sitting here in the garage while I pay registration and insurance and put new tires, brakes and had the tiny windsheild nick fixed.

The only thing wrong with it is a dent that could be patched for under 1K I'm positive. (a whole new bolt on fender is only like $500) It happened when my GF was backing out with her truck and barely tapped it with her bumper because it's so small she couldn't see the car in her rear view over the huge new style square F-150 truck bed.

Hence why we are selling the car 3-5K off! The dent is pretty minor, does not effect the way the car drives or any of the lights. The paint is all still there on the dent even and the dent is pictured and advertised so nobody should be surprised when they come to see it. Just needs to be pulled and maybe painted again on the front left fender. No biggie! With the money they saved they can go get it done in a day and still have money for lunch and rent.

I would think this car would be gone by now. Others are selling theirs 2002 with modifications and 100,000mi for 20k while mine is 2006 bone stock no racing on this one (that's what the last one was for!) and only 48,000mi on it for $13,8K

Clean title and reg paid till next april!

Crazy world out there I guess. Tough times indeed. Not so much of a market for the 2 seater convertible at this point in time I guess either.

Putting it out front of the dealership is starting to sound like a good idea.
I'll get a truck one of these days! Can't say I haven't been trying for months. :LOL:Try putting it on autotrader.com or on beepbeep.com....I bet you'll have better luck there....Try doing what Dana said too!

JediMindTricks
05-30-2009, 11:15 AM
$36k honda?
what do you have?!
s2000?
mugen si?
ridgeline?

First of all, geordy is finally right, list it on autotrader and all the other big websites.
Craigslist attracts people trying to get a steal, on an already steal deal.
i wouldn't try to sell something on there for over a couple grand, too much hassle.

If the dent is whats holding u back, get it fixed and bring the price up a hair, people dont want the hassle of fixing someone elses dent, it sucks plain and simple, and most people will never get it fixed........ and they know that. so why buy it? right?

or go trade that thing in for something u like.

Skyler
05-30-2009, 11:28 AM
$36k honda?
what do you have?!
s2000?
mugen si?
ridgeline?

First of all, geordy is finally right, list it on autotrader and all the other big websites.
Craigslist attracts people trying to get a steal, on an already steal deal.
i wouldn't try to sell something on there for over a couple grand, too much hassle.

If the dent is whats holding u back, get it fixed and bring the price up a hair, people dont want the hassle of fixing someone elses dent, it sucks plain and simple, and most people will never get it fixed........ and they know that. so why buy it? right?

or go trade that thing in for something u like.

Yeah, it's an S2000, and it's sick fast! That thing is on rails on the turns. First time he took a turn at full speed I almost pissed mytself, lol. 13 K is a steal IMO. Casey, I'll bet you could sell it easier with a simple bolt-on intake and exhaust? Upgrades usually make people think the car was well taken care of. Plus they think they are getting a race car, lol (At least the youngsters who are interested in such a car).

NoHo ART
05-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Yeah, it's an S2000, and it's sick fast! That thing is on rails on the turns. First time he took a turn at full speed I almost pissed mytself, lol. 13 K is a steal IMO. Casey, I'll bet you could sell it easier with a simple bolt-on intake and exhaust? Upgrades usually make people think the car was well taken care of. Plus they think they are getting a race car, lol.

WRONG
if you are buying a car you hope the car was driven by a old lady
no somebody that has pushed the car to its limits.
so keep it as stock as possible.
and tell them its your girlfriends car you got it for her birth day or some bs like that.

every car i have sold was only driven by my mom :ROFL:

if you can get the dent fixed for a few hundred get it done
spend around $250 and get a paging alarm installed on it. people love that

then check the local market for the s2000's
list your price around $700 -$1200 higher then the highest add around your area.

every one knows you get what you pay for.

add to your craigslist posting: if you want to test drive it bring the cash
with you.

that way you wont have to deal with the kids that just want to drive a s2000

trust me i sold my s600 about a year ago and i got blue book for it :LOL:

tacklejunkie
05-30-2009, 01:06 PM
Yeah next time I list it for sure I'm putting the "Must have cash in hand to test drive"
Some of those guys were nuts! :LOL: Frustrating watching other people who don't know how to drive drive it, to say the least. I have babied the clutch and tranny in that puppy. I took it all out on the brakes like a good stick driver would, and just had them replaced with receipt papers from honda last month.

I may have rounded a corner or two fast in it, but never enough to break it loose or even skreetch. Never unecessarily hard on the engine and followed through with proper break in. Never any bolt on mods. No dragging. always factory serviced. That sucker sticks to the ground like crazy with the new TCS they added to this year over the last years model I had. Of course you can turn that off too with a button press..

Looks like I'll have to pay it off or pop the dent.
I still wonder why they come to look and veer off from the dent, when it was listed and shown in the ad.

fish_sauce
05-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Have you tried listing it on AutoTrader Casey? I think they list it until it sells if you buy that option. It might also attract the more serious buyers.

Or you can try listing it on local Honda performance forums. It might draw customers who know what they're getting into.

I agree with NoHo Art, don't do any mods to the car if you're seriously planning to sell it for the highest value. Aftermarket accessories are a red flag to buyers and mechanics alike that the vehicle is probably owned by someone who likes to tamper and abuse it.

As for test drivers who don't know how to drive a stick--i wouldn't even take that chance. It doesn't take much to blow a clutch on an s2000...god knows how many of those clutches i've had to replace already with the odometer being significantly below 10k!

If it's been serviced regularly by factory, make sure you keep a folder of all past receipts, or ask your dealer to print out the service history for keepsake. That will create more "value" for the potential buyer instead of them relying only on your word.

If you really think your pricing is below KBB by that much, i say just stick to your guns. The right buyer will come in time, regardless of the economy.

Good luck with the sell!

trashetanush
05-30-2009, 10:21 PM
OK so I paid the honda down to $13k from $36K +taxes.
I have it on craigs list and have had four people come to look at it.
The car bluebooks at like 16- 18,000. depending on condition. They are getting a steal! I'm trying to slang it for what I owe (13K)

Why is nobody buying?

I've listed this car before as well and had people come look but no sale.
Is it just the times? What's the best way to sell a used car now days? I thought everyone was doing the craigslist thing to hock stuff off?
I'm sick of the bonesheads who know nothing about this car coming over and test driving it. They don't even know how to use a 6speed transmision or a clutch! Don't people research how to work a car they might buy that they don't know how to drive?

If I would have been like this when I went to buy my first street bike I might have totaled it before I got it out of the sellers driveway!

U got any pics of it? I'm not intrested, but I wanna see it. I'll ask around if anyones intrested. My cousin got a S2k just a month ago.

brando123
05-30-2009, 10:31 PM
I sold my last truck on autotrader about 2 months ago, It was on the website for about an hour i sold it 3 hours later.

farleyd
05-31-2009, 09:23 AM
Try Ebay set a reserve at what you want for it and the buy it now 500.00 over that. photot all parts of the car. set the terms up front
500.00 deposit 24 hrs. after biding ends. post a car fax too.
I was doing like you with no luck. Then I did Ebay and sold my 99 s-10
Xterem to a guy from mo.

WARRIORMIKE
05-31-2009, 09:33 AM
Heres a couple of tips on how to sell your car, and also what not to do :Shocked:

what not to do
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sgw6hqQR6c

better options
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5LrBqWYuHE

just keep asking and getting the word out there,someone will eventually buy it

tacklejunkie
05-31-2009, 09:51 AM
I actually thought about ebay too. I could write all the terms out right there.

Maybe an S2K forum as others have suggested through PM.

I do have one kid interested finally. He came out with his mom to check it out. Didn't even ask to test drive it but we let him around the block 'cause he seemed level headed. Got back to me last night. When we get back from vacation he's gonna come work out a deal with us. I'll see how it goes! So far this is the best prospect yet, but things could always change. He sounds pretty serious! He's already seen it once and said he wants it. Willing to go to the dealership/loan office/DMV with us and take care of all the paperwork properly.

DccFISHerMan
05-31-2009, 10:34 AM
I have been trying to sell my camaro for about 5 months now and i get tons of people who seem very interested but it never seems to go through, The market has everything all jacked up

Ricky-Ray
05-31-2009, 10:47 AM
I second or third or whatever number we are at for autotrader, beepbeep or carmax.

GeordyBass
05-31-2009, 02:49 PM
First of all, geordy is finally right
You suck!!!:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

ElementX
05-31-2009, 03:07 PM
Carmax is your best bet if your car is stock or near stock (unmodified). If you are selling for that much below bluebook, you should be able to sell your car to Carmax and get more than you wanted.

Wanted to add...the process is pretty painless. You bring the car in, they examine it and give you an offer. You have sojmething like 24 hrs to think about it. No haggling involved. Offer will be higher than if you traded it in, but around low to mid bluebook. It's worth checking out.

ElementX
05-31-2009, 03:12 PM
JediMindTricks[/B] http://fishinghotpage.com/forum4/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?p=350272#post350272)
First of all, geordy is finally right

You suck!!!:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

"moded" ? :ROFL:That was pretty funny. Geordy has a good sense of humor, but yuu are still going on his ban list.