PDA

View Full Version : Salton Sea

tkm127
05-30-2009, 05:49 AM
Anyone know what kind of fish there are at the Salton Sea? Where to go and what to use?tia

Nessie Hunter
05-30-2009, 08:10 AM
Talapia in spring & early summer.....
Then Nothing.....
Its a dead sea now except for the Talapia Spawn before the heat, algae bloom and oxygen depletion...

ichthus
05-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Try along the east side. The state park jetty is the most popular and usually pretty good if the wind isn't blowing too much. Use pieces of night crawler on about a size 8 - 10 baitholder hook. Lots of folks like to fish it on the bottom but I've had my best luck with a bobber 3-4 feet above the bait. Good luck

James<626>
05-31-2009, 12:09 AM
Went out here about 2 1/2 weeks ago n caught around 130+ tilapia's between me & my cousin in about 5hrs. "Way 2 hott 2 stay longer" 40 keepers the rest were smaller in size. Used night crawlers on no.6 hooks. Fished off the jetty. Non stop action from the moment we got there till when we left. Recommend taking a live fish floating basket if u plan on keeping any fish. "$8.99 @ walmart" Or if u got the b@ll$ to eat them. J/K.

FISHINGBEE
05-31-2009, 09:43 AM
Anyone know what kind of fish there are at the Salton Sea? Where to go and what to use?tia Eveyone who eats the fish out of the sea will die soon anyways. Talk about polluted fish. Whats wrong with people. Tilapia of all fish. This fish thrieves here for a reason. Trash fish for sure. The two other species that lived in the sea a now gone. Corvina white croaker does this not bring up a red flag. Plus you can smell the Sea from Palm Springs. YUK!

FISHINGBEE

James<626>
05-31-2009, 02:40 PM
Agree with fishing bee. Yeah u will probably die if u eat the fish, RAW... It kills all bacteria once u cook the fish. As long as u limit ur self 2 about 3 servings a week on that tilapia from salton sea. There is no harm 2 a humans health. Atleast that's what I've read on the internet. Sounded good 2 me. Yeah that place does smell horrible. If the smell or all the dead fish around u don't bother u, then u should be alright.

fishmounter
05-31-2009, 04:21 PM
The smell is not bad now. There are no big piles of dead fish (at least right now) It pretty much smells like the ocean. Years ago there also was some very nice Sargo in the Sea. We even used to catch Sailfin Mollies and lots of Mudsuckers in the south end shallows. The Orangemouth Corvina loved them! We would get a bunch of Mudsuckers at the Sea, and then drive back up to Lake Henshaw and just kill the Largemouth Bass with them! Awesome live bait.

TEAM CASTIN
06-10-2009, 01:59 PM
cOME on guys. u gotta admit fishing is excelent in the spring and summer..tilapia on n/c...ull get a bite about every 2 minutes

Ifishtoolittle
06-10-2009, 03:28 PM
cOME on guys. u gotta admit fishing is excelent in the spring and summer..tilapia on n/c...ull get a bite about every 2 minutes

In a major bite more like 30 seconds LOL!

Jig-Guy
06-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Getting bit works. A bite every 30 seconds sound good to me. CPR and bring a lunch. I don't know if I would eat any of the fish these days. Up to 1988 I did fish the sea and eat all the fish I caught. It sure was fun and the fish tasted good. Anyway enjoyed the report.