PDA

View Full Version : Lake silverwood highest toxins in state

ghost2uu
05-29-2009, 02:35 PM
Toxic fish found in Inland lakes

Fish samples from some lakes show contaminants beyond accepted safety thresholds

07:29 AM PDT on Tuesday, May 26, 2009

By JANET ZIMMERMAN
The Press-Enterprise

Fish from Silverwood Lake contain some of the highest levels of mercury and toxic PCBs of 152 sites studied by state water quality experts, placing the reservoir in the San Bernardino Mountains among a growing number of contaminated California lakes.

Silverwood is one of 40 lakes where concentrations of mercury exceeded the point at which authorities recommend that people avoid eating certain fish caught there.

Also lurking in Silverwood's deep blue waters are bass with "exceptionally high" levels of PCBs, polychlorinated biphenyls. The heat-tolerant chemicals, used in electronics, are linked to cancer and other health problems, according to a report released this month by the state Water Resources Control Board.

The lake is a man-made reservoir that stores drinking water for San Bernardino and Metropolitan Water District, the wholesaler for Southern California.

Monthly tests of lake water show no heavy metals or PCBs and it is considered safe to drink once it is treated for delivery to consumers, said John Kemp, water quality supervisor for the state Department of Water Resources, which oversees Silverwood.

However, even tiny amounts of contaminants that fall or flow into a lake can concentrate as they move up the food chain from plants and microorganisms to small fish and then larger fish.

Several other Inland fishing spots also have pollution levels that could warrant warnings to limit consumption, the report says. One of the local lakes tested, Salton Sea, already has cautions in place based on previous tests that found other contaminants.

It's unknown, however, when such advisories could be issued for the affected lakes, because more testing is needed, said Sam Delson, spokesman for the state Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment.

"The lakes survey includes data only for the most-contaminated types of fish. ... Even in lakes with high contaminant levels in some species, there may be other species that can safely be eaten. To issue advice for a lake, we need a comprehensive survey of the other fish species," Delson said.

Harmful substances accumulate in fish tissue. Children who repeatedly consume high levels of the contaminants can suffer cancer, kidney damage and brain damage.

Among the lakes surveyed, largemouth bass from Lake Pillsbury in Northern California tested highest for mercury; a health advisory already warns people not to regularly eat fish caught there.

Brown bullhead from Pyramid Lake north of Valencia was the worst in the state for PCBs; tests showed more than three times the amount that triggers a warning not to eat the fish.

The affected lakes could be placed on a list of impaired bodies of water under the federal Clean Water Act, which could require responsible parties or stakeholders to help pay for cleanup. Authorities haven't determined the sources of contamination yet.

Caution Advised

In addition to Silverwood, lakes tested in San Bernardino and Riverside counties were Big Bear Lake, Lake Elsinore, Salton Sea, Lake Mathews, Spring Valley Lake in Victorville and Prado Lake in Chino.

Big Bear Lake already is being monitored for elevated mercury levels detected in largemouth bass as far back as 2001. The most recent study also found PCBs in carp at levels where the state recommends limiting consumption to no more than two servings per week.

Lake Elsinore carp also had elevated levels of PCBs.

Salton Sea tilapia samples showed selenium, a naturally occurring element that in high doses can cause developmental problems in children, in a range that normally warrants limiting consumption to no more than three servings a week. But a warning issued earlier this year already advises the public not to eat more than two servings a week of any fish caught in the Salton Sea.

"It is sad that any of these waters would have contaminants that would preclude eating the fish. That's not the American ideal," said Harry Morse, a spokesman for California Department of Fish and Game, which stocks lakes with fish.

Lake Mathews had a mercury measurement just over the minimal safety threshold, and a sample from Prado showed PCBs about twice the lowest acceptable level.

Fisherman John Beuttler hasn't eaten a striped bass in years because it is notorious for mercury. As conservation director for the California Sportfishing Protection Alliance near Sacramento, he's aware of consumption warnings, but many anglers aren't, he said.

The notifications are contained in the back of Fish and Game regulation booklets given out where fishing licenses are sold. Few people read them, Beuttler said.

His group wants lake-specific warnings, in numerous languages, posted on the banks around the water. Many disadvantaged people depend on sport fishing for a protein source they might not otherwise be able to afford, Beuttler said.

"Those are the people who run the greatest risk, and those are the ones least likely to check for health warnings," he said.

The study included tissue samples from thousands of bass, carp and other species that were taken in 2007. More samples were taken from another 130 lakes last year and will be reported in 2010. It is the largest screening study of its kind in California.

Only 21 of the lakes tested -- including Spring Valley -- had fish with no pollutants that exceeded minimum safety standards, but researchers warned that they probably are not without problems. At most of those "apparently clean" lakes, researchers couldn't catch the fish species that tend to have the highest concentrations of the toxins, the report states.

Most of the fish tested contained methylmercury, a form of mercury created when it reacts with bacteria in the water. Mercury can be carried to the lake in air emissions from cement plants and in runoff from old mining operations. It can affect the neurological development of fetuses and children.

PCBs showed up in the highest concentrations in Southern California lakes. The chemicals are linked to learning deficits, low birth weight and problems with the immune, nervous, endocrine and reproductive systems.

Scientists also tested for the banned pesticides DDT, dieldrin and chlordane, which cause reduced fertility, genital birth defects, cancer, asthma, depression and damage to developing brains; and for selenium, a naturally occurring element that causes reproductive harm and deformities in fish and aquatic birds.

Worrisome Findings

Silverwood Lake, off Highway 138 north of San Bernardino, is known for its trout, catfish, bluegill and largemouth bass. Nestled among Douglas firs and oaks, Silverwood was formed in 1971 by construction of the Cedar Springs Dam. At more than 3,300 feet elevation, it is the highest reservoir in the State Water Project.

About 10 percent of the lake's 300,000 annual visitors are anglers, state parks officials said.

Tissue samples of bass from the lake contained PCBs at 131.4 parts per billion, more than three times the threshold for limiting consumption to twice a week and close to the 120 ppb at which the state recommends that people don't eat the fish.

Mercury in fish at Silverwood was measured at .49 parts per million; concentrations of .44 ppm trigger a warning that the fish should not be eaten by minors and women of child-bearing age.

"That's going to worry anybody," said Teresa South, manager of the marina store that sells bait, fishing licenses and snacks.

South fishes the lake often but always releases her catch. She doubts that study results will drive away anglers, many of whom also release their fish back into the lake.

Officials at Silverwood Lake State Recreation Area were unaware of the findings but will follow all recommendations, said Kathy Weatherman, district superintendent in Lancaster.

The Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment stressed that people should not stop eating fish, because it provides many health benefits.

General guidelines, available on the Web at www.oehha.ca.gov, say people should fish from different lakes and vary what they eat, focusing on less contaminated species such as trout and sunfish. Eat the filet portion of smaller fish, avoiding the organs and skin.

"People wonder, 'Should I stop eating fish from all the lakes in California?' Our answer to that is, 'No, that's not necessary,' " said Robert Brodberg, senior toxicologist with the office.

tacklejunkie
05-29-2009, 02:56 PM
So when do I start glowing from all them "strippers" I ate outta there?
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/glowing.jpg

sansou
05-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Sad sad sad.

Makes a reasonably intelligent person think twice about serving ANY SoCal striper to their kids. Mother-in-law definately, but kids....nah.

Skyler
05-29-2009, 04:54 PM
So that's why the last striper I caught there looked like this:
http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/Blinky%2Bthe%2Bthree%2Beyed%2Bfish.jpg

NICKYMOUSE8
05-29-2009, 05:02 PM
**** that is sad,Every time I go to silverwood I would look at how clear the water was sometimes, it was like I wish my water back home was clean like this im shocked but,not surprised S.B has a rapidly growing population so is the pollution I guess man that sucks!:Angry:

Skyler
05-29-2009, 05:07 PM
**** that is sad,Every time I go to silverwood I would look at how clear the water was sometimes, it was like I wish my water back home was clean like this im shocked but,not surprised S.B has a rapidly growing population so is the pollution I guess man that sucks!:Angry:

It's all the lake lice most likely. Only 10% of the park visitors are there for fishing. The rest are burning fossil fuels and leaking oil all over the lake (while bumping crappy music and running over my lines).

PHISHnutS
05-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Other lakes with the lake lice do not have these high of levels (so far anyway) so my theory is the aquaduct is just collecting all sorts of bad juju from the air and from illegal dumping. Silverwood is the first stop for that water and it's the most toxic, why would that be, it has to have something different from the other lakes.

Either way, I won't be eating any more stripers from there, might just need release the big stripers and throw the dink stripers I catch for the coyotes to help keep their numbers in check. Anglers no longer removing those smaller fish to eat will have a big impact on the whole fishery.

Billy Bass
05-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the heads up!
From now on I'll only eat fish from safe bodies of water such as Legg Lake!

:ROFL:

HelloBendo420
05-29-2009, 09:23 PM
the stripeys from skinner taste bomb!

where's skinner on this list of toxic assets??

formosa
05-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Sad sad sad.

Makes a reasonably intelligent person think twice about serving ANY SoCal striper to their kids. Mother-in-law definately, but kids....nah.

man you are classic. hahaha.

The Angler
05-29-2009, 11:06 PM
man you are classic. hahaha.

Yea that was something else. I forgot to make a thread about this when i read it in the paper the other day. Good looking out I was shocked to see Lake Matthews since its the main drinking water supply for souther california:Confused:

brando123
05-30-2009, 02:03 AM
This is really sad news to me, This is my favorite place to fish. Man what a bummer.

tacklejunkie
05-30-2009, 09:40 AM
This is really sad news to me, This is my favorite place to fish. Man what a bummer.
Well, continue fishing there!
Just let the fish go. Or feed them to animals or give some away. Cut them up and throw them back out for the catfish.
One or two won't hurt anybody.

The sad part is, like Phisnuts says..
the little striper boogers are gonna take over the foodsource. Bye Bye LMB growth.

tpfishnfool
05-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Aint no thang ... Eat em up yum..

Skyler
05-30-2009, 11:04 AM
Well, continue fishing there!
Just let the fish go. Or feed them to animals or give some away. Cut them up and throw them back out for the catfish.
One or two won't hurt anybody.

The sad part is, like Phisnuts says..
the little striper boogers are gonna take over the foodsource. Bye Bye LMB growth.

Indeed. Those schoolies are gonna run rampant in a year or two. Here's an idea, everybody donate your wood stripers to Matt D. for fertilizer, he he he. I'm sure his garden would explode with a bit of fish mulch.

inthroughtheocean
05-30-2009, 06:15 PM
ate a trout from silverwood for dinner last night :(

p.s. the fish were biting like crazy yesterday

occschemguy
05-31-2009, 12:23 AM
i noticed it had mathews listed, thats funny seeing its illegal to fish there bcos its a drinking water resivor.

FISHINGBEE
05-31-2009, 09:34 AM
i noticed it had mathews listed, thats funny seeing its illegal to fish there bcos its a drinking water resivor.Ah were all gonna die. Man this crap is every where. Just think about all the stuff we eat. I doubt a Big Mac is better for you. Plus what no one else has mentioned. 90 percent all toxins are in the liver. Very few toxins actually in the meat. Who here eats the fishes liver. As for the drinking water part. The water is tested over nd over purified and doused with other chemicals to clean out toxins. Everything we eat breath drink has some kind of toxins. There is also a study letting you know how much of this fish you can eat before getting sick. If the Lake hits certain toxin issues ther will be signs posted. Then the lake becomes the best Catch Release Lake around and the fish grow bigger chnge colors and other fun things.

FISHINGBEE

holymolar
05-31-2009, 10:06 AM
Mercury is the most toxic non-radioactive heavy metal of all. Extremely toxic, even more toxic than lead or arsenic. Only plutonium-like heavy metals are more toxic than mercury and that's only because they're radioactive.

Are you aware that the silver fillings that dentists have been putting into peoples mouths, for about 200 years, are made up of 50% mercury and only 25% silver? Where is the logic behind that? Also, when a dentist places a silver filling, there is always extra material that gets washed down the drain into the water systems. And when the dentist removes an old silver filling, all of it gets washed down the drain. Duh!

Are you also aware that the new curly-cue lightbulbs have mercury in them? If you break one in the house, the mercury spills out and you have to call HazMat to come out and clean it up at a great cost to you? And if you put one into the trash, it ends up in the garbage landfills and contaminates the land and eventually the water and finally the fish. More duh!

Is it any wonder that the fish are getting contaminated with mercury?