PDA

View Full Version : State Park Closures

sweetfish
05-29-2009, 11:34 AM
I just read this following article where the"Terminator" is going to cut funding to Parks. I hope this plan doesn't pan out again.

Local gems on list of parks that state could shut down
By Michael Gardner, U-T Sacramento Bureau
2:00 a.m. May 29, 2009
LOCAL PARKS TARGETED
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger will propose shuttering 220 parks statewide, including these in San Diego County:
Anza-Borrego Desert State Park
Border Field State Park
Carlsbad State Beach
Cuyamaca Rancho State Park
Palomar Mountain State Park
San Pasqual Battlefield State Historic Park
Silver Strand State Beach
Torrey Pines State Beach
Torrey Pines State Reserve
(Also targeted for closure is the Salton Sea State Recreation Area in Imperial and Riverside counties.)
Online: For the complete list of proposed state park closures, go to uniontrib.com/more/parkslist

SACRAMENTO – Cash-starved California may be forced to close some of its most treasured state parks, including Anza-Borrego and Torrey Pines in San Diego County.
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's budget-cutting plan would take more than $213 million away from parks over the next two fiscal years, leaving little choice but to shut down 220 of 279 statewide as early as this fall.
Iconic parks where visitors gasp at towering redwoods, gaze into the emerald hues of Lake Tahoe and learn how life was lived in the Old West could be off-limits to the public. Several state beaches along San Diego's world-famous coast are on the list, as are some mountain campgrounds.
Parks officials yesterday released what they called worst-case-scenario closures. The governor has targeted parks for budget cuts before with little success.
Last year, Schwarzenegger proposed temporarily shuttering 48 state parks and beaches. The plan drew stiff resistance in the Legislature and elsewhere, and was withdrawn.
But the state's budget picture has become much worse since then. Schwarzenegger and lawmakers are staring at an estimated $24.3 billion deficit.
“This is an unprecedented crisis, and things that were previously dead on arrival are a lot more viable in a crisis like this,” said Assemblyman Jared Huffman, D-San Rafael.
Assemblyman Mike Villines, R-Clovis, warned, “Parks are just not going to be a priority over public safety and education, as much as we hate to see them close.”
The governor had warned that more painful cuts were on the way after California voters rejected several budget-related ballot measures last week. Schwarzenegger and the Legislature are just beginning weeks-long negotiations over the cuts. In addition to the parks proposal, Schwarzenegger aides yesterday revealed he will seek an additional 5 percent pay cut for the state's 235,000 employees to save nearly $900 million.
The lower salaries would come on top of a 9.2 percent reduction – through two furlough days per month – already imposed on much of the state's work force. This time there will be no additional furlough days, spokesman Matt David said.
Visitors to the San Diego region could discover closure postings at some of the region's most popular parks.
In addition to Torrey Pines State Reserve and Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, Cuyamaca Rancho and Palomar Mountain state parks are targeted. Others on the list are Silver Strand and Carlsbad state beaches, Border Field State Park and San Pasqual Battlefield State Historic Park.
Officials said the parks targeted for closure, in general, do not generate enough visitor turnout to offset ongoing costs.
The early-warning list does not specifically address what would happen to rangers and lifeguards, but as many as 2,000 could lose their jobs. The state recently sent layoff notices to 5,000 other workers.
Beaches cannot be fenced off, but the state would probably not maintain restrooms or day-use picnic facilities. Ranger programs would be curtailed and lifeguard towers left empty.
Some local parks that generate more revenue than expenses will remain open.
Old Town State Historic Park in San Diego will keep bustling, thanks to concession fees generated by the restaurants and shops there. Local state beaches that would remain open include Cardiff, San Elijo, San Onofre and South Carlsbad.
Also, off-roaders will still be able to take their vehicles to Ocotillo Wells State Vehicular Recreation Area and to Oceano Dunes on the Central Coast, two popular parks that would remain open because entrance fees cover operational costs.
Statewide, Hearst Castle is the most notable park on the saved list, along with many popular state beaches. The Palm Springs Aerial Tramway is considered “likely” to keep operating, according to the list.
But threatened closures include several well-known parks, such as Bodie, Humboldt Redwoods, Point Lobos, Governor's Mansion, Pfeiffer Big Sur, Jack London and Año Nuevo.
The closures would be temporary, but no timeline for reopening was provided.
Various proposals to raise revenue to supplement park funding have surfaced in recent years. But the governor has been cool to increasing fees and taxes, contending that voters sent a clear message in the May 19 special election not to raise any more taxes.
State parks spokesman Roy Stearns said day-use fees could double in many locations that stay open. That decision would be left to local park superintendents, who would determine “what the traffic will bear.”
“What we're looking at now is cuts and cuts,” Stearns said. “We have reached the end of the fuse.”
Stearns said the threat to close parks is not a scare tactic, despite last year's reversal.
“We have a worse recession and a worse budget deficit” this year, he explained.
As the governor raised the notion of cutting park funding last week, the California State Parks Foundation issued an alarm.
“The governor's harsh proposal to take general fund support away from California's state parks – even if done over time – will have a profound and devastating impact on parks and on all Californians,” foundation President Elizabeth Goldstein said in a statement.
“Closing parks not only loses the potential to earn revenues that support that park, but it also causes revenue losses to the local economies in communities that surround state parks,” Goldstein said.
“This is not the time to be causing further economic turmoil in communities around the state.”

PHISHnutS
05-29-2009, 12:26 PM
How about looking at goverment waste and some of the ridiculous wages people make for sitting on these useless goverment boards.

Now were paying even more taxes for less services, makes sense to me :Rolls Eyes:

WARRIORMIKE
05-29-2009, 01:29 PM
:Angry:Seriously the state is getting desperate. We should really consider tax marijuana !

joe man
05-30-2009, 06:55 AM
:Angry:Seriously the state is getting desperate. We should really consider tax marijuana !

While I do not think legalizing marijuana is a good idea you are correct that the state is getting desperate. The government needs to work more like the average household. When you do not make enough to pay for what you want you cut your spending to a level that you can afford. I think the government has proven time and time again that no matter how much tax they collect they will find a way to use it all. More taxes is not the answer, less spending is.

The stimulus bill has many earmarks that make no sense. I saw that they were spending millions in stimulus money to stabilize a bridge that is going to be demolished. There are many like cases of waste in the bill. It is not a one party problem as both are guilty of the earmarks and pet projects. The fact is that the government is not good at responsible spending so why give them more money? It is like giving a crackhead cash; you know it will not be spent wisely.

txcurry
05-30-2009, 08:18 AM
While I do not think legalizing marijuana is a good idea you are correct that the state is getting desperate. The government needs to work more like the average household. When you do not make enough to pay for what you want you cut your spending to a level that you can afford. I think the government has proven time and time again that no matter how much tax they collect they will find a way to use it all. More taxes is not the answer, less spending is.

The stimulus bill has many earmarks that make no sense. I saw that they were spending millions in stimulus money to stabilize a bridge that is going to be demolished. There are many like cases of waste in the bill. It is not a one party problem as both are guilty of the earmarks and pet projects. The fact is that the government is not good at responsible spending so why give them more money? It is like giving a crackhead cash; you know it will not be spent wisely.
At best a marijuana tax might be able to generate a billion and a half. Not enough to help a 22 billion shortfall!
There are going to have to be cutbacks in handouts too! All that free money to various peoples will have to be reduced. Many people who actually work have had to take cuts in pay in order for their companies to survive. It only seems fair that the various government welfare recipients take cuts too, it is, after all, a RECESSION!
California has been way to generous and lets face it, you guys can't afford it any longer.

matt duarte
05-30-2009, 11:49 PM
At best a marijuana tax might be able to generate a billion and a half. Not enough to help a 22 billion shortfall!
There are going to have to be cutbacks in handouts too! All that free money to various peoples will have to be reduced. Many people who actually work have had to take cuts in pay in order for their companies to survive. It only seems fair that the various government welfare recipients take cuts too, it is, after all, a RECESSION!
California has been way to generous and lets face it, you guys can't afford it any longer.

hate to burst your bubble but pot is a multi billion dollar industry, if legalized throughout the US it would defently fill that 22 billion $ hole...but thats a whole other thread...its a real bummer there closing carlsbad and silver strand...

will they be closing or just stop funding?

The Angler
05-31-2009, 12:42 PM
IM going camping the 1,2,3 At South Carlsbad state beach, The funny thing is they say there closing it cause it dont generate enough money? But the place is ****** hard as hell to get reservations cause its always booked up like 6-7 months advance? It dont make any sence to me.:???:

txcurry
05-31-2009, 12:58 PM
hate to burst your bubble but pot is a multi billion dollar industry, if legalized throughout the US it would defently fill that 22 billion $ hole...but thats a whole other thread...its a real bummer there closing carlsbad and silver strand...

will they be closing or just stop funding?
We're talking California's budget here, not the U.S. budget, so a nationwide legalization isn't going to send all those billions to CA, no bubble burst there from your flawed logic! Also , you have seen what happened to the billions the state lottery was supposed to bring in, or actually, you didn't see the billions, CA schools are still hurting. What makes you think the state would be any more responsible with MJ taxes? They'd just find a way to spend it all and then some more just as they have done with all other revenues!
Also the billions made in pot is because it's illegal, what happens when you legalize it? It's worth is diminished severely!
The only logical way to balance the budget is to.......balance the budget. I.E. Cuts and lots of them. Closing psrks is only a droip in the bucket. They need to look elsewhere.

NICKYMOUSE8
05-31-2009, 01:30 PM
Yet again the state government display's apathy for the good percent of the general public's interest by over looking these beneficial forms of revenue during these difficult times people seek local recreation more now then ever before as a solution to the much needed escape from the grime and repetitive life style in the city. oh yeah and to Matt D's comments ''pure genius ' alcohol cigarettes are in higher sales of course? get taxed because the sales are up don't surprise me during these hard times we should just make high times too and watch us grow others will follow that is true just like over coming a racist LEGALIZE IT 420

joe man
05-31-2009, 04:00 PM
Yet again the state government display's apathy for the good percent of the general public's interest by over looking these beneficial forms of revenue during these difficult times people seek local recreation more now then ever before as a solution to the much needed escape from the grime and repetitive life style in the city. oh yeah and to Matt D's comments ''pure genius ' alcohol cigarettes are in higher sales of course? get taxed because the sales are up don't surprise me during these hard times we should just make high times too and watch us grow others will follow that is true just like over coming a racist LEGALIZE IT 420

I am sure some tax revinue would come in from Pot but it is so easy to grow that the black market would still be the biggest market. We are talking about a weed that will grow from coast to coast in America.

txcurry
05-31-2009, 07:52 PM
I think Y'all are mnissing the point here. When you have a drunken sailor that spends all his money and then goes into debt too, you don't go figure out a way to get him more money to spend. You have to penalise him, spank him! You need to vote most of your idiot representatives out, they got your state into this mess. You need to get rid of them, starting with the Spendinator Governor Arnie! Oh what a great idea he has to close parks, he's just another idiot in office!! They will tax you into oblivion and still ask for more! Your economy is in the tank and your state government is out of control with spending!
So when you got a bunch of spendthrifts who represent you, what is the solution? Well, Matt Duarte wants to legalize pot so they can have more money to waste! And many of you agree!!!!! Holy Cow!!!Give them more money to waste, what a great idea!!!!
I thank God I moved to Texas so I won't be giving the idiots in Sac any more of MY money to waste!!!!

Troutman65
05-31-2009, 10:22 PM
This is a sad time for many people and cuts have to be made. I think that the cuts should start at the top. The Gov. Don't get money but all the others do. They all should take a pay cut.( Major pay cuts ) Cut out all the fringe of their jobs. Its just wasted money. They need to start with that and leave the working Man's escapes alone.

sweetfish
06-01-2009, 08:25 AM
I agree with the idea of cutting pay and eliminating certain jobs. However, closing State parks, especially in this economy when families can't afford to travel to other coutries or states because of the fuel and travel costs, they need to keep certain activities open where they generate more revenue. I agree with the "Angler" that certain State beaches have to be booked months in advance to go camping is a money pot. To close them and lose that money is idiotic.

By the way Angler, double check your reservations and talk to someone live. To my understanding the proposal of these closures is to lock the gate and leave the property for environemntal studies. I could be and hope it is a mistake. I hope they are planning on using iron rangers instead and keep these parks open for our enjoyment.

joe man
06-03-2009, 08:10 PM
I think Y'all are mnissing the point here. When you have a drunken sailor that spends all his money and then goes into debt too, you don't go figure out a way to get him more money to spend. You have to penalise him, spank him! You need to vote most of your idiot representatives out, they got your state into this mess. You need to get rid of them, starting with the Spendinator Governor Arnie! Oh what a great idea he has to close parks, he's just another idiot in office!! They will tax you into oblivion and still ask for more! Your economy is in the tank and your state government is out of control with spending!
So when you got a bunch of spendthrifts who represent you, what is the solution? Well, Matt Duarte wants to legalize pot so they can have more money to waste! And many of you agree!!!!! Holy Cow!!!Give them more money to waste, what a great idea!!!!
I thank God I moved to Texas so I won't be giving the idiots in Sac any more of MY money to waste!!!!

Well said. Not wanting to hijack this thread I will leave out my recovery plan but it does not include shutting down state parks as a top priority. History does support your view that no matter how much tax money the government collects they will find places to waste it all.

A few things that should not be on the cut list: Police, firemen, schools, national defense, border patrol, and in some cases highways. If they started by cutting the pet projects and the abuses of social services we would break about even in the next year. Illegal immigration cost Ca, about 19 billion a year and our deficit is roughly 24 bil. Even if they do not close the border they should stop allowing illegal immigrants from recieving any tax funding.