PDA

View Full Version : Lake Mary Help

Captainklinger
05-29-2009, 06:42 AM
I am going to lake Mary mid June for a week a wondered if anyone had any fishing tips trolling, bait fishing, Also are the Twin Lakes, George or Mamie a better option

D-PESCADOR
05-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Nite crawlers and garlic power bait. Have fun .

Joshua
05-29-2009, 08:47 AM
I am going to lake Mary mid June for a week a wondered if anyone had any fishing tips trolling, bait fishing, Also are the Twin Lakes, George or Mamie a better option
I was up there last week. I was told by a local that Mary has been dead all year. Not fishing very well. But that can change.
We hit up George and did well. You will have to walk around to the back side. The front side had ice. But that can change as well.
We tried lower twin for about 45 minutes. Not much of a drop of at the shoreline. Looks like a nice spot for a float tube, but shore fishing looks like you need to get way out there to get any depth. We pulled up our lines and headed to June Lake Loop

YellowSuge
05-29-2009, 08:53 AM
We were there in August last year. We did fairly well with Spring Green Powerbait from a boat about a few hundred feet off of the marina.

greg
05-29-2009, 12:36 PM
I've been fishing the Mammoth Lake Basin for nearly 20 years and Lake Mary is, by far, my most favorite lake. Absolutely beautiful scenery. Excellent fishing. The largest lake in the Mammoth Lake Basin. Decent prices on tackle at the Lake Mary landing. Speak with Don Barrett (owner and spent many summers since the 1960's running the family store) and he can show you how and where to get the fish. Fishing is best from a rental boat. There are many "holes" on this lake like "the flat rock", "criss-cross trees", "Ted Reeds' Hole", "the pond", "Freddie's Hole" (but Fredddie died a few years back), etc. Don knows them all. My biggest Sierra trout came out of this lake at 7.5 pounder and my wife nailed a 9.5 pounder (if your wife fishes, she will always catch the bigger fish). Mine was on an inflated crawler and hers on basic yellow powerbait. You can rent a power boat, row boat, pontoon, kayaks from Don.

I like to float tube all three Twin Lakes. These shallow lakes get very weedy and challenging to shore fish. The deeper holes are further off shore but good shore fishing can be had in deeper waters by the waterfall on the upper Twin and the boulders from the rock slide on lower Twin (walk over the bridge to get here). For some reason, the pink powerworm is the ticket on these lakes.

Mamie is another great float tube lake (the smallest in the Mammoth Lake Basin). Both the inlet and outlet are excellent spots. Good shore fishing can be had along the eastern shore (to the left when looking at this lake from the road). Nailed many Alpers in the outlet. Set my personal record here with 6 Alpers (C&R) in one day. Only row boats rentals here.

George is the second largest of the Mammoth Basin Lakes. Excellent shore fishing along the eastern shore (to the left of the parking lot). I like fishing at the inlet near the "big rock" at the very south end of the lake. I believe they only rent row boats here.

With all the Mammoth Lake Basin, you will get several visits a day by the local bears. These are smart bears who walk along the shoreline looking for stringers in the water to get their easy trout meal. They will also open your ice chests for your sodas and beer (just like some of the FNN posters ...).

Have fun. More info - PM me!

fng
05-29-2009, 01:17 PM
The alpine lakes around mammoth are some of my favorite places to fish due to the scenery. Pink gulp eggs seem to work well there. Sometimes it really doesn't matter what you use but when the bite gets slow, they do seem to get bites when other stuff doesn't.

Troutman65
05-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Hey Chuck, make sure those Bears don't get into your " Frostys " :LOL::Wink:

Hope you and the G/F have fun. Looking forward to your report & pics.

Patrick

Captainklinger
05-30-2009, 07:23 AM
Ill keep them under lock and key

brando123
06-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Hey just fished Mary this evening, i caught a beautiful 5.5 rainbow on american pie power bait. We always did good on the twin lakes with american pie. Seems to be doing the best right now.

billy b
06-05-2009, 09:48 AM
How does it compare to Captain America pbait?

Big Country
06-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Light line = lots of fishing

Light flourocarbon = lots of big fish

2 lb mono or 6 lb floro

brando123
06-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Hey billy, you know i am not sure i have never seen that PB. But we have been killing it on american pie!