PDA

View Full Version : HATE MISSION!!!

Ambassadorhawg
06-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Decided to do the GAR thing this morning with my buddy on his Dauntless.
It took us a while, but we evntually found where the "Spanish Armada" was gathering and we joined in, actually beating most of the boats there.

Dead, dead, dead today. We were on the Huntington Flats and my buddy got one Gar on the first cast of the day and we got nothing else at all. I actually got my first SKUNK in years! Hello skunk!

There wasn't much surface action until later in the morning when the birds started diving on bait and even that was not like what one would expect from a ravenous Gar school. We did meter plenty of bait and a good amount of Gar around. The fish seemed planted at 25-30 feet down. I had one swipe on the iron and one swipe on the plastic. That's it.

The weather came up in the late morning and we bailed then. The landing reports I have read for today seem inflated again. We watched the whole fleet closely and did not see anyone catch more than a handfull on any boat.

Far and away the most gill nets set out in the area that I have ever seen before!

victor101
06-20-2007, 09:00 PM
yeah its been dead out there last few days. i was out on sunday on a moo moo for nothing. 1 rockfish. where did the cudas go? :evil: just hope they come back soon and bring some white sea bass with them.

fishnbuddy
06-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Went out of MCRD sunday. Just past all the kelp, we was tearing them up. Find the cattle boats and park next to them. The chumming definetly helps on slow days!!
...fishnbuddy

Ambassadorhawg
06-21-2007, 06:00 AM
We were with the cattle boats. Around them, next to them, on top of them, under them, inside them, away from them, close to them...

The cattle boats were chumming up a storm and attracting lots of birds but not much Gar.

IslandBoi
06-21-2007, 06:03 AM
I got my Cuda'z ... It was WFO!!!!! yesterday morning .... enough cuda for everyone to catch 3 or 4

Ambassadorhawg
06-21-2007, 06:06 AM
3 or 4 Gar isn't worth the effort for us. We went out because the counts the day before said limits. I myself am not satisfied unless I catch a minimum of 25-30 fish, and even that is just barely enough.

Brad100
06-21-2007, 07:09 AM
3 or 4 Gar isn't worth the effort for us. We went out because the counts the day before said limits. I myself am not satisfied unless I catch a minimum of 25-30 fish, and even that is just barely enough.

No offense intended... you need to relax, man! Enjoy the moment... catching fish is only part of the fun of fishing.

Funjunkie74
06-21-2007, 07:12 AM
You know there's a 10 Cuda limit per person...right?
So if you bag 3 or 4, you're batting a nice average.

Oh, how do you eat the Cudas??

FJ

Wingnut
06-21-2007, 10:35 AM
You'll kill em' next time! :wink:

Ambassadorhawg
06-21-2007, 01:55 PM
I don't eat fish. YUK! I work with fish so eating fish would be cannablistic for me. I don't like the taste, fish are "fishy" tasting.

I let go 99% of the fish I catch unless I have injured it so far that it will not recover or to keep to give to my friends to eat. So with the Gar, I use a fixed single hook and turn the jig over and they fall off and swim away. As for the fish getting a sore lip? That's what they get for biting my lure!

And... I don't like "fishing", I ONLY like CATCHING!!!

I guess I got spoiled once catching 101 Gar and then leaving them while they were still biting! Now that's my idea of CATCHING!

sonarbp
06-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Oh, how do you eat the Cudas??
FJ

I found this info on the web about cuda and how to cook them!!!! Sound good to me.

Barracuda are excellent eating but they have to cleaned quickly and iced down on the spot. If they are left in a gunny sack all day, they become very strong, and fishy tasting. Barracuda is one of the better fish for smoking.

Barracuda Tacos
Fish tacos are THE hot new recipe. Try this one!
3/4 cup Lawry's Mesquite Marinade with Lime Juice
1 pound barracuda fillets
3/4 cup lowfat sour cream
1 1/2 tablespoons Lawry's Taco Spices & Seasonings
2 cups shredded cabbage
8 flour tortillas
Aluminum foil
Nonstick cooking spray
Salsa
Lime wedges
In resealable plastic bag, combine Mesquite Marinade with Lime Juice and fish; seal bag. Marinate in refrigerator 2 hours. Combine sour cream and Taco Spices & Seasonings; chill. Remove fish from marinade. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray. Grill fish on aluminum foil over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until fish just begins to flake. Cut fish in bite-size pieces; spoon into warm tortillas. Top with cabbage, sour cream mixture and salsa.
Makes 4 servings (2 tacos each)
Prep time: 15 minutes Marinate time: 2 hours
Cook time: 10 minutes

Mesquite Barracuda with Green Tomato Salsa
- This recipe is a special event, but you will want to serve it often.
1 1/2 pounds barracuda, cut in 4 pieces
3/4 cup Lawry's Mesquite Marinade with Lime Juice
1 1/2 cups diced green tomatoes
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 jalape-o chile, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
1/2 teaspoon Lawry's Garlic Powder with Parsley
1/2 teaspoon lime juice
1/8 teaspoon cumin
In re-sealable plastic bag, combine fish and Mesquite Marinade with Lime Juice; seal bag. Marinate in refrigerator 1 hour. In blender or food processor, combine remaining ingredients; blend until finely chopped. Set aside. Grill fish in a grill basket or on foil over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until fish just begins to flake. To serve, spoon salsa over grilled fish.

Makes 4 servings

HINT: Fresh tomatillos may be substituted for green tomatoes. Remove husks, rinse and quarter.

Prep time: 15 minutes Marinate time: 1 hour
Cook time: 10 minutes

Pescado Vieja (Fish Stew)
Catch it while it's hot!
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 medium onions, chopped
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 package (1.5 ounces) Lawry's Original Style Spaghetti Sauce Spices & Seasonings
3/4 teaspoon Lawry's Garlic Powder with Parsley
1/2 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes
1 large red potato, cubed
1 can (14 1/4 ounces) beef broth
1/3 cup dry red wine
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1 pound calico bass, sand bass or barracuda (varieties can be combined to equal 1 pound), cubed
In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion and bell pepper; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients except fish. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes. Add fish. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes longer until fish is cooked.

Makes 10 servings

Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes

I have just bled them when I caught them before and place on ice till I got home.....fillet and cooked in foil with butter pepper and garlic!!

sonarbp

BBL2Baja
06-21-2007, 02:22 PM
Cuda is GREAT when smoked. Use an "asian" brine (teriyaki or soy) and it turns out real good.

Later,
Scott

WalePescado
06-21-2007, 05:53 PM
'Cuda are fun to catch, but you can have mine. Just like bonito, I don't care how you cook it, it still tastes like dookie :!:

ghetto dad
06-21-2007, 09:50 PM
yeah its been dead out there last few days. i was out on sunday on a moo moo for nothing. 1 rockfish. where did the cudas go? :evil: just hope they come back soon and bring some white sea bass with them.

those damn giant squid that are STILL HERE ( :evil: :evil: :evil: ) at em all victor...notice the sand bass counts??? :evil: