PDA

View Full Version : NPH 5/27 Kayak - Lots of Sandies

ldsaylor
05-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Got home around 2:00 today and wanted to get a little kayak fishing before the Laker game.. So had about 2 1/2 hours on the water by the time I got everything ready. Tide was heading out when I launched so I tried for some spotties around the docks on the front of Balboa Island with no luck for the 1st hour. The tide was drifting me out of the harbor fast so I was quickly in front of the coast guard. Then the tide started going slack and about 200 yards past the coast guard I hooked my first fish. A little sandie.

Then the bite was on and hot!! I landed at least 15 sand bass in the next 90 minutes.. At one point I literally caught 4 fish on 4 straight casts. All fish were caught on a variety of 4" Big Hammers. They bite definately picked up when I switched to the chartreuse jig head though. Almost every fish hit on the cast on the initial fall right before I hit bottom.

Here are pics of a few of the sandies. I measured the biggest fish at 18". You can see from the pics one of them got nailed by something (sea lion or something) but he still put up a good little fight. You can also see the pic of what these Sand Bass did to my jig after awhile.. On one of my last casts of the day I hooked something with some size!! It started ripping drag and then nothing. Line was cut clean by whatever it was.. Bummer. Every fish was safely released to fight another day..

Posting this during the Laker game so I gotta run. Go Lakers!

TShaffer
05-27-2009, 07:14 PM
Man nice carnage...hope that bass survived. Those big hammers rock!

DEADROOTS
05-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Well done.

camman
05-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Looks like you nailed them...Couple questionss

wheres the best place to launch?

Cost of parking?

kgselect
05-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Very nice sandie slay. Looks like you found an area where they were stacked up. And, thank goodness the Lakers won.

Tesserz
05-28-2009, 02:37 PM
15 sandies in 90 minutes, wow! Those are some good-sized ones too. I always wondered if there was a difference between jig head colors... it surely made a difference for you! Nice job out there. :Big Grin:

ldsaylor
05-28-2009, 05:09 PM
I actually live down on the penninsula so I launch at a little beach near my house on the harbor. Not really sure about public launching and parking. Sorry..

KEL40
05-28-2009, 06:44 PM
excellent Bud Nice slayage!!!!!! Awesome pics!! THanks for the report:Envious:

Jaysuuun
05-28-2009, 08:41 PM
Nice report and WTG on the Sandies. That first one's a hog!

boxl0bster
05-28-2009, 11:58 PM
awww yeahhh those are some sweet grumpies! dont you love it when they tear up your swimbaits!?!?! well as long as you have more of course...haha