PDA

View Full Version : 6.9 LBs at the lagoon

SND
05-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Found this fish hanging out on the bouy line in about 3 feet of water.
30 minutes later, she hit my 7" pumpkinseed curly tail Rattlesnake.
she went 6.9 on the digi!!!

this is my fourth one from the lagoon this year to go over 6.5 lbs.
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/picture.php?albumid=278&pictureid=2235
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/picture.php?albumid=278&pictureid=2236

mudskipper76
05-27-2009, 09:05 AM
yES! good catch!

KID-FISH
05-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Nice fish, way to go! There are some big ones in there, I've seen some big ones cruising the shallows lately. I've also seen shad near the fishing pier in the early morning and bass right behind them.

Tight lines.

KF

Powerfisher
05-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Hi! Noob here.

By lagoon, do you mean lower Castaic?

plastics
05-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Awesome fish, SND. Looks like she's full of eggs? Do you think they are just now getting around to spawning at the Lagoon? Seems like they've been poring water in forever now, so it wouldn't surprise me if the Lagoon bass are still running late to Spring.

Congrats on yet another toad! I honestly believe the Lagoon has as good a chance of any body of water in the world to ultimately beat the world record ... now that Dotty passed away of old age, you figure that evens the playing field again between Dixon and the Lagoon. Casitas might have a record breaker swimming around in it as well.

SND
05-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Not a noob. 5 years running...but I moved to North Carolina for a spell and back again.
Some of the fish spawned already, but the water level has risen a bit and cooled off a bit, so there are a LOT of fat fish that haven't quite finished their business. They bluestoned the "Lower lake at Castaic" last Tuesday, so the water is still a bit mirky, but the bite is already back-on!

rrawstron
05-27-2009, 11:31 AM
nice work out there...she's a fattie!

troutdog
05-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Great report....sharing good info and a cool picture to boot. I wish more reports were like yours, congrats on a nice catch!

TD

SND
05-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Great report....sharing good info and a cool picture to boot. I wish more reports were like yours, congrats on a nice catch!

TD

Nothing to hide. We're all fishermen, so why not share?
Y'know what I mean!

it was actually the FIRST time I've ever caught a fish on the rattlesnake.(7" salty fly worm) so I was pretty pumped. These plastics are about 3 years old and I just grabbed one to throw something different at the thing (cuz it would take the other things I threw at it).

The lower lake (Lagoon) has been the BEST action that I have ever had there. I've fished this lake for 16 years, and this year was by far the BEST for TOADS!

I've seen more nearly double digit bass out of the lagoon this year (probably 12-15 so far)...and that is just between myself and 5-6 other tubers that I know...so the lake is REALLY hittin this year!

Pizz (one of the other 5-6 guys) nabbed a 10 pounder a few weeks ago and posted it on here.

The lagoon is on FIRE!

GO FISHING!

Stormcrow
05-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Wow nice catch man! I Havent caught fish on those big rattlesnakes in some time.

plastics
05-27-2009, 12:48 PM
SND .... thanks for the info man. Why in the hell would they blue stone the lagoon? It's not a drinking water supply is it? LET THE DAMN WEEDS GROW, Stop poring in water from the depths of the upper, Open the west side to 24 hour fishing since you can only swim there on weekends now anyway, and why not install some aerators close to the inlet so we can keep from suffocating the poor fish with all that cold, dead water from the upper. If you think about it, fishing is by far the number one reason to visit the lagoon, so why not pay some attention to managing the habitat and improving the fishery? That's my lagoon soap box. I'll get off of it now.

At the end of the day, it's still the best place to catch a huge bass so we're fortunate to have access to it. I don't float tube (not sure why, probably need to change that based on how great you guys are doing out there, SND), so I go out there at night and shore fish. Typically along the north side in the rocks. I haven't been doing much good so far this year ... got about 4 dinks on the drop shot weekend before last, but that was it.

I'm hoping once the weeds grow in and the fish move into post spawn, the senko bite will kick in and give me a good shot at a big fish. Back in the summer of 2004, I whacked 'em every night but I haven't seen it that good ever since. Based on what you guys are already catching from the float tubes, I'm hoping this will be another great summer.

pizz
05-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Shawn, nice fish!! you didnt show me the pic last night, but it was worth the wait.

"thats a huge *****!!"

The Lagoon has been better this year than any other year by far!

Keep it up Shawn, hopfully ill get that fish when she ways 7.2lbs :D

Panfish Junior
05-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Wow! I hope I catch one of those someday. Way to go and Thanks for sharing!

PJ

Liteweight
05-28-2009, 05:31 AM
SND .... thanks for the info man. Why in the hell would they blue stone the lagoon? It's not a drinking water supply is it? LET THE DAMN WEEDS GROW, Stop poring in water from the depths of the upper, Open the west side to 24 hour fishing since you can only swim there on weekends now anyway, and why not install some aerators close to the inlet so we can keep from suffocating the poor fish with all that cold, dead water from the upper. If you think about it, fishing is by far the number one reason to visit the lagoon, so why not pay some attention to managing the habitat and improving the fishery? That's my lagoon soap box. I'll get off of it now.

At the end of the day, it's still the best place to catch a huge bass so we're fortunate to have access to it. I don't float tube (not sure why, probably need to change that based on how great you guys are doing out there, SND), so I go out there at night and shore fish. Typically along the north side in the rocks. I haven't been doing much good so far this year ... got about 4 dinks on the drop shot weekend before last, but that was it.

I'm hoping once the weeds grow in and the fish move into post spawn, the senko bite will kick in and give me a good shot at a big fish. Back in the summer of 2004, I whacked 'em every night but I haven't seen it that good ever since. Based on what you guys are already catching from the float tubes, I'm hoping this will be another great summer.

FYI: Yes it is a water supply for L.A. and Santa Clarita. Managed by the Castaic Water District/Santa Clarita Water District.
R.

Liteweight
05-28-2009, 05:51 AM
Nice going:!!!: Gotta ove those fatties. Looks like the spawn is on again.
It figures that yours came on a Rattlesnake, I tried those for years and finally threw all mine out :mad: 'cause I was doing better with 4.5" straight tail Robo's. Been kind of snakebit this year thought. Couldn't even muster more than a dink (maybe .5 lb. if that) :Head Bang: near the end of the Float Tube Derby back in April.
Certainly glad to see someone getting 'em though. :Applause:
R.

plastics
05-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Liteweight ... thanks for the info. I had no idea the lagoon water was also being utilized for supply.