PDA

View Full Version : catalina LATE report 5/22

supasportkid
05-26-2009, 08:54 PM
my dad and i hit the water at about 5 am. then stopped by lb bait barge for some live squid. after last trip only catchin sand dab and a few sculpin, we decided to jus go to the island. since it was jus our 4th time out on our boat i was still nervous about crossing the chanel. after working on it changing the water pump, thermostats, and starter, i was happy to see she was running great. we made it over in about an hour and a half. we headed to the east end to see alot of private boats out. atleast 25. we trolled for about 20 minutes for a mack. then we found a spot on a huge kelp bed just past the crowd. it was almost an immediate hook up after the anchor dropped. i was fly lining squid. my dad was gettin em on the dropper loop. it was almost wide open on barely legal to short calicos. when my dads reel birdnested, he threw out a fly lined squid for a hook up on something big. it made a nice run, then into the kelp. 10 minutes later his 15 lb test popped. too bad. after a few hours there i caught about 8 legals and over 25 shorts. my dad had 5 legals and alotta shorts. i didnt keep any calicos just a few macks for my buddy at bobs tackle. my dad kept his 5 calis. we trolled around after that for nothin. we stopped at the shoe for slow trollin while i cleaned his fish, we got a short 20 inch cuda. sorry so late on the report, it was my b day weekend so it was party time! thanks for reading

i tried to get the action with a fish on. im havin trouble postin the rest of my pics from my phone. i will try later