PDA

View Full Version : lake isabella help

youngfish
05-26-2009, 07:13 PM
i plan to go out to lake isabella this weekend, leaving friday afternoon coming home sunday night. i havent fished this lake in a few years, and never had success in the past. is it worth it if im going to be shore fishing? any tips of were to find the kitties and crappie?
thanks for any advise

Skaguy04
05-26-2009, 07:38 PM
i plan to go out to lake isabella this weekend, leaving friday afternoon coming home sunday night. i havent fished this lake in a few years, and never had success in the past. is it worth it if im going to be shore fishing? any tips of were to find the kitties and crappie?
thanks for any advise

Crappie are all over tha lake right now. It seems that just about anywhere you go, there will be crappie.
As far as the cats are concerener, they are there, but not as good as it should be for lake isabella.
They stocked trout last week, so that should be something to look into as well.

youngfish
05-26-2009, 08:18 PM
thanks for the info! any specific coves i should try? baits?

T_Rob
05-27-2009, 07:14 AM
thanks for the info! any specific coves i should try? baits?

Was out there last week on a quick turnaround trip. Fished Joughin Cove from the tube and did pretty well for the short time I was out on the water. I only used mini-jigs bcuz the shops were closed when I got there so no luck on getting bait. If you can, pick up some minnows from one of the local shops -- heard the bigger units were inhaling them. As stated earlier, the fish are all over the lake. You might have to weed through few small ones for quality size, but it's good fishing all around. Joughin, Kissack and Camp 9 are coves I heard regularly mentioned that were shore-friendly and getting them. I'd look for areas with some trees or some kinda brush.

Good luck & tight lines!

youngfish
05-27-2009, 10:18 AM
thanks ill let you guys know how it goes

Mojave River Angler
05-28-2009, 08:06 AM
Yep, we did ok at Kissack Bay on the east end for Crappie and I've heard that French Gulch is active as well. Don't bother with the North East shores and coves (Stine Cove). Last weekend the carp were still occupying that area very heavily. They are so thick the other fish won't be around.

For the Crappie we found that the small white tube jigs with various colored heads work great. Put the little white crappie pellet on the hook too.

For Cats you can try the main dam area...they eat just about anything. I've had good luck in the past with Catfish Dynamite, but have had no luck with that this year. Night crawlers seem to work and for some reason they have been grabbing my power bait.

Have fun. I look forward to your report.

MRA

formosa
05-28-2009, 09:55 PM
can u twilight fishing? i mean early evening.

Skaguy04
05-29-2009, 12:23 AM
can u twilight fishing? i mean early evening.

You can fish 24/7

troutdog
05-29-2009, 12:50 AM
Big baits= big cats at Camp9 while camping at night.

Good luck!

TD

BassnRack
05-31-2009, 01:09 PM
Try throwing big cranks in Jouchin cove. We had about 25 lbs. worth of cats(5 fish) in 30 minutes. Couldn't keep them off our line. All were caught in the tail while they were slapping at them. Too bad we didn't have 25lbs. worth of bass!!!!

Every year at this time we catch TONS of cats on DD22's in either red or white.