PDA

View Full Version : Website for Saltwater Regulations w/ Pics?

SueMarie301
05-26-2009, 02:10 PM
I don't know if this is a silly question or not but my last post made me want to ask. I realized that there are just so many rules and regulations out there and that there are just so many fish species that look similar. I wanted to know, is there a website (other than DFG) that provides rules and regulations for fish in the California area and actually provides pictures?

Thanks,
Sue...

Ricky-Ray
05-26-2009, 03:29 PM
DFG is probably your best source. Most of the fish are pretty easy to identify. I think the most important ones you need to know are the rockfish. You don't want to accidentally keep a cowcod for example when you thought it was some other type of rockfish.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/fishid.asp

SueMarie301
05-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Yeah. I heard about the cowcod. When I was at the Ocean Beach Pier, I picked up one of the Ocean Fishing Booklets at the bait shop up there. What makes it hard is some of the pictures are black and white or illustrations. I even tried looking at some of the books out there. I think someone mentioned Peterson's Guide or something like that.

Thank you for replying!

Sue...

That Dang Guy
05-27-2009, 01:18 AM
My 4 yr old nephew loves looking in this book of fish identifications. It's a great little book, but it doesn't have any size limits on it. But it would be easy to just write them into the borders. I believe we got it for free at fred hall one year. =p

I'll try to get the name of the book.

**Edit**

Found it while looking though the link above. He probably has an older edition as the cover is a bit different.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishingpassport/idbook.asp

SueMarie301
05-27-2009, 10:13 AM
I looked at some of the excerpts from the book. It looks really nice. I'm a visual person. I emailed the site for some information on the book. Thanks I appreciate it!

Sue...

Ricky-Ray
05-27-2009, 11:23 AM
If you'll look towards the bottom of the webpage I posted earlier you'll see some pdf files on selected nearshore and rockfish guides. Print them out with a color printer and I think you should be good to go.

I printed all of them out and stuck them in sheet protector's and put it in a 3 ring binder and gave it to my friend to put on his boat so we will always have a reference on the boat when needed.

SueMarie301
05-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Yes I saved those as well as the Passport ones. As a matter of fact, I was looking at the selected near shore list from that link you sent and one that caught my eye was the monkeyface lol. I've actually bookmarked these pages on my cell as well.

Sue...