PDA

View Full Version : redondo w-bucketbay in and out of the harbor

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Hit the open Blue with Bucketbay Monday….

I felt real bad cause Dwayne wanted to launch from Marina Del Rey at 4:30am and head to Rocky point but I talked him into launching at Redondo instead.

We were both there at 4:30am but the hoist didn’t end up opening till7am (Dayam !...too late !)
Anyway after launching and getting bait I’m sure it was 8:15 or so when we headed for Rocky point, we started Trolling for no signs of life…then we hit the kelp paddy’s for WFO Mackeral (WTF ?)….dayam….I would have thought at least the Calicos would have been WFO…we were huntin’ bigger game anyway so after countless Mackeral and 1 nicfe Calico…we searched on….other Paddy’s other open water zones and drifts….
Here’s Dwaynes Calico:
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/withbucketbay-redondo5-125-091.jpg

The bite has really fizzled out in those zones…maybe that warm water current has shifted…I don’t know….sort of what I had expected from the info I had recently in the past 3 days previous…

So….we decided to do some halibut drifts on some sweet shallower water sandbars…

It produced 1 short Flattie and a Sandbass for me..
(sorry didn’t take pics)

We decided to hit the inside of the harbor to seek out a few nice spots I know of…
The 1st one produced NOTHING….not even a bite…

I talked to Dwayne about this lil Halibut Honeyhole I’ve been fishing for years…he said he’d fished it before as well….about 5 minutes into it….Hookup !

A short flatties….14-16” on a Carolina rigged chovie.

Then I drug my chovie up with what felt like a huge wad of Kelp..

AND look what I caught…this is a 1st for me !
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/withbucketbay-redondo5-125-092.jpg

1st I thought it was a Sea Snail but I believe they call this a SEA Slug ! it had no shell so I guess that’s what they call it !...didnt know they got so big !
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/withbucketbay-redondo5-125-093.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/withbucketbay-redondo5-125-095.jpg

Really freaky to handle this sucka and slimey as hell…not knowing much about this species, I was a lil apprehensive to handle him but I don’t live in fear…we had ta have a photo OP !
This suckas was heavy…at LEAST 10lbs or better !
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/withbucketbay-redondo5-125-094.jpg

Another 5-10 minutes, as I slung my gulp jig…..Hookup….another Flattie….14-16”
Then another cast….Hookup ! Flattie
Another Cast….Hookup….yet another Flattie
3 consecutive Flattie hookups Gulp Style….they were around just as I planned in that area…

I caught 1 more short on a chovie then Dwayne had to leave, sorry we didn’t take pics of the short halibut.

It was a fun day, in hindsight it might have been good to sit on that Flattie zone and get some legals but it’s all good, I was happy to have my 3rd trip out to open ocean without getting seasick, I am now confident in my seasickness remedy..

Gonna get out on some big game soon enough !

We ended up with:
Dwanye:
Countless Mackeral
1 Calico

Gary
Countless Mackeral
1 Sandbass
6 Halibut
1 SeaSlug (probably over 10lbs-ha ha ha!)

Salute,
Gary

Liteliner
05-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Holy S@#T.... I give you mad props for holding that ugly snail man. :EyePop::EyePop::EyePop: That truly is fearless of you. I caught a way smaller version once and the thing shot ink every where. Thanks for the report....

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Holy S@#T.... I give you mad props for holding that ugly snail man. :EyePop::EyePop::EyePop: That truly is fearless of you. I caught a way smaller version once and the thing shot ink every where. Thanks for the report....
I'm pretty sure its a Black Sea Hare....Trippey !

victor101
05-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Good job! too bad the Calicos werent WO for you guys...

GeordyBass
05-26-2009, 04:23 PM
ewww,looks sick,,,lol

at least no skunk kids,,,

Wingnut
05-26-2009, 05:36 PM
I think you caught the Lochness Monster's offspring. :Shocked:
Escargot block party!!! :Envious:
Looks like a great day out on the water. :Cool:

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-26-2009, 06:16 PM
Escargot block party!!! :Envious:
:

lmao !!!!!!!!!!!!

I GOT TEARS IN MY EYES from laughing so hard....yeahp...that sucka would feed a whole block party alright !!!!!

Ifishtoolittle
05-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Supersized slug LOL! WTG on fish too Steelgary!

Santa Fe Eric
05-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Way to let that "Thing" feel the steel!

Nice fishing between the two of you!

What's your sea sickness remedy! Put a patent on it and sell it to a brotha!:Cool:

BIGRED KILLA
05-26-2009, 11:07 PM
Sweet thanks for the pics and report very cool slug keep it up out there that place is very fishy.

Bigred

LateFisher
05-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Nice catch Gary, I bet that felt like bringing in a 25 pound chair filled with sand , mud , and some kind of small fish :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:. John

crappiemike
05-27-2009, 02:08 PM
thnx for the report, its like every slip is holding big schools of macks..

the boneheads are still in there but it takes a while because of all
of the mack attacks...

the halibut bite is on fire;

cm

DEADROOTS
06-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Damn Gary you catch the craziest stuff man!

I cant believe I didn't see this thread:Beer Toast:

SueMarie301
06-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Great Report!!

I'm still trying to get my first hali. I didn't think they would go after gulp. I've always used live or frozen chovies. Awesome though!

I'm still learning the short cuts, but what does WFO mean?\

Sue...

Lightline
06-06-2009, 09:46 PM
How does the snail taste

daveg456
06-06-2009, 11:39 PM
How does the snail taste

Nice. Better late comment than ever.

Gary,
I think you inspired me. I planted some tomatoes and bell peppers and these friggin pests keep taking bites out of my tomato and bell pepper leaves and I'm thinking, "Ok there's some snails and what not chomping on the leaves and I think 'no big deal' well, I go out in the yard and there are so many friggin snails all over the the lawn and what not so I think to myself, "self, escargot.....nice" so long story short, I decided to harvest my first crop of snails!!!

I'll post some pics and a report on the whole process. Should be interesting. Why fight it? It's all good.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1216/is_n5_v180/ai_6547821/

Megsdad
06-06-2009, 11:58 PM
Looks like sponge bobs square pant's pet snail (also named gary I believe)

Rock on, you da man!!

Joe