PDA

View Full Version : 5-24: Had a Blast Out There

plastics
05-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Went out to DVL on Sunday for my first time in over 3 years and only my second trip there ever. Basically had no clue where to fish or what to use other than info from this board so thanks to all here for posting reports.

I rented a bass boat and started the day off throwing a little LC Pointer on spinning gear. Started fishing that first big cove on your right hand side as you pull out of the marina headed for the west dam. After about half an hour, caught a really nice one on the LC Pointer that went about 5.5. Ended up with 2 more smaller fish on the Pointer before the sun came out.

Started throwing a crank bait on the south shore directly across from the marina and actually caught the biggest blue gill I've ever seen. Seriously thought I had a good bass on the line ... sucker really put up a fight.

Then I headed down the south corner of the west dam. Saw a 2 pounder guarding fry. Threw an under spin with a 6" Yum fluke at him and he nailed it, so I figured I was onto something that would work. Couple more casts into the big boulders there and I hook up with something big ... ends up being a catfish ... wrong species once again.

I was letting the under spin hit the bottom and then just yo-yoing it out of the rocks. Few more casts and bam ... another one about 5 pounds ... then 2 more that went about 3 pounds right there in the same area. Picked up and went across to that smaller dam on the north side. Caught a couple over 2 pounds and another one that went about 4. All on the under spin, bouncing it off the rocks. Got hung up and lost my only under spin. No more fish after that. Tried throwing a blade bait and kept on trying cranks for nada.

All in all, I had an awesome time out there. Love this lake and can't wait to go back. Maybe someday we'll get some rain and they can fill it back up.

Once again, thanks to all you guys for posting reports. Glad I could finally contribute.

INDOANGLER2
05-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the report and yes sounds like you had a lot of fun. What were the crowds like like on Sunday? To me this still is the best bass lake around. And yes hope to see that place fill up with water soon. Did you see any shad around yet?

allday00420
05-26-2009, 06:53 PM
I have been hearing about this underspin and i don't have a clue what it is. nice job on the bass out there. me and my buddies were out there too. we hiked it in and went to the east dam. we ran into some pretty good action too. but its hard getting those big ones in, they just kept running in to the rocks and snapping us off. it was still fun though. i would have posted a report but no camera.
peace

plastics
05-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Here's what underspins look like:
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/catpage-UNDERSPINS.html

That was actually the first time I've ever caught a fish on the underspin. Like I said, what worked for me was letting it settle into the rocks and then snapping it out. It was getting snagged a lot in the rocks, but that's also when I was getting bit ... if something stopped it on the way up it was either a rock or a fish.

I think the marina pretty much rented out the entire fleet so I guess that might be considered crowded?? Typical?? I'm not sure. I didn't have anyone crowding me for a fishing spot, so I can't complain.

Noticed in the "Evening Bite" thread someone suggested spinner baits along the chunk rock and that's probably an excellent tip. I'm kicking myself now for not throwing a spinner bait after I lost my last underspin.

plastics
05-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Indo ... agreed this is one of the best bass lakes around. I did NOT see any shad but it does seem like that's what the bass are eating right now.

420 ... what was working for you guys on the east dam? I did a little drop shotting for nada and threw a bastrix swimbait quite a bit for nada as well.