PDA

View Full Version : Duct Skunk

ezcompany
05-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Hit the duct in Bakersfield with the lady, a lot of other fishermen on the spot so I figured we were at the "right" spot. As night fell there were around 8-9 parties fishing. Saw one person hook up an hour in, seemed to land a decent sized keeper. got excited and waited for our turn...nope....wasn't to be. noone was hooking up after that.
Moved up the gate where water was calm, and saw tons of boils. Casted the LC Jerk Shad, Rapalas, this that here and there for no love. Water guys comes along and tells me they aren't stripers but San Bernadino Swallowtails? or something to that key. They were some large fish breaching the waters though.
Went back to the original spot and started catching others people line. A lot of the people there were using multiple hooks on bloodworms, not sure if thats allowed but what can you do. Got tired of snagging others and moved south towards the Grapevine for another spot.
TONS of baitfish, shad, minnows, moving water, great looking conditions...unfortunately every cast resulted in TONS of algae too, making fishing miserable. Also said no trespassing California State Law so decided to keep it short and went home at 3am (after driving 2.5 hrs) for the big fat SKUNK.

Angry, hit the Palmdale duct Monday for an evening session. figured I have to put in the time to get the fish. water conditions great, moving, high water, less algae. Unfortunately the wind was at least 15mph constantly howling, turning a warmish night into almost frigid conditions....and casting and retrieving very miserable. decided to hide behind the gate and plunk chovies for one catfish in the end. another big fat skunk after 2 hrs of driving. :(:( my lady has officially given up on FW fishing. :(:( how do all you guys do it???

Anglerism
05-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the report!

I was there later aftenoon monday using my lures and dipped a fresh cut mackarel. No bite on mackarel. There was one guy fishing with me and he said he caught 3 stripers last week. I forgot to ask what he was using for bait.

Hey, when you soak anchovies, do u use the whole thing or do u cut it in half?

ezcompany
05-26-2009, 02:00 PM
hey Anglerism
I use whole chovies hooked through the shoulder or the nose.
the weather sure was miserable out there.

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-26-2009, 02:49 PM
sorry bout the skunk, as I mentioned, the duct can be unforgiving at times but can payout just the same.

Tell your girl not to give up on FW, just take her somewhere where the odds are more in your favor.

I will say that if you fished Bako, I'm surprised you didn't get in on some action.

Remember: each trip out on a skunk is 1 trip closer to the memorable trip you seek.

Don't let down, the odds are rapidly swinging in your favor.

Good luck,
Gary

ezcompany
05-26-2009, 05:32 PM
thanks for the words of encouragement Gary
I'm going to give it a few more shots till I start begging on my knees for more tips from you :Envious:

buck liggett
05-26-2009, 06:31 PM
There is'nt any stripers in Bako! Sorry could'nt resist? In Bako We call those "swallowtails", carp. It's getting pretty out of hand with the crowds. The weekends are horrible. Don't feel bad about skunk the cement river is either on or off. Seriously why dose everyone think Bako is the place for stripers? There are a handful of guys that have it wired, the rest don't catch like them & honestly alot of them although from Bako are'nt fishing in Bako.
Trust Me!

cutbait
05-26-2009, 08:00 PM
There is'nt any stripers in Bako! Sorry could'nt resist? In Bako We call those "swallowtails", carp. It's getting pretty out of hand with the crowds. The weekends are horrible. Don't feel bad about skunk the cement river is either on or off. Seriously why dose everyone think Bako is the place for stripers? There are a handful of guys that have it wired, the rest don't catch like them & honestly alot of them although from Bako are'nt fishing in Bako.
Trust Me!

Dude, did the CIA give you truth syrum today?

buck liggett
05-28-2009, 08:37 AM
Sorry, just trying to save him some time & gas since he does'nt need to travel this far north. To fish the duct.