PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Full Day - Catalina - Monday, 05/25/09

Odium
05-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Liberty - 51 Anglers
Fish Count - 42 Calico Bass 1 Barracuda 4 Sheephead 44 Bocaccio 50 Rockfish 3 Bonito 12 Perch.

The boat was packed full with people taking advantage of the LBSF special and Memorial day off work. Left the landing a little late. On the way to the bait barge a good amount of people were rigging up. I set up a slider on my spinner and a dropper on my conventional. Got to the bait barge and Hak poached my chovie. Dropped that chovie into the water and it got tore up. After hitting the bait barge, we were leaving the harbor around 7:15.

After leaving the harbor, I ordered a breakfast burrito and was talking to Hak and some of his guys. Then I see some guys sitting the next table down and on there table were. . . three BANANAS. All of us sighed. Hak warned them that bananas are bad luck for fishing. Hinted to throw them overboard. They just laughed and left the BANANAS on the table. We all sighed again. . .

I hit a bunk pretty soon after. Not fully asleep but not fully awake, I felt the boat slow down a bit. A few minutes later Victor101 taps me on the shoulder and tells me to get on deck. As soon as I step on deck, I hear Deckhand Nick Yelling "Flyline flyline flyline." I grab my spinner, nose hook a sardine, and cast it out. A few seconds later, I heard someone got snapped off because of their dragged, so I loosened mine up a lot. Looked to my left and my right, no one was standing within ten feet of me on either side. I let out more line as my sardine keeps running and BAM get slammed, line starts peeling off and its on! Was a nice little fight, bonito was nicely gaffed by Deckhand Nick. I'm not sure exactly how long the bite lasted, but we only landed three bonito.

First Stop, we drifted the kelp for a bit. Lots of short calicos here. Hak managed to drag about 7 legals out of the kelp. He would have limited out if we had more anchovies. After a while, some of the live squid was chopped into slice bait. The bite increased once people started using squid strips, but still a lot of shorties.

Second Stop, we moved a few miles down the coast and drifted some more kelp. Bite was still pretty slow, but this spot had a few sheephead. Stayed here for a bit before hitting out last stop.

Third Stop, Captain tried landing on some more bonito, but to no avail. So the plan changed from flylining to Rockfishing. Currents were pushing pretty hard and not everyone was prepared. A lot of people were using 4's or 6's and ended up tangling up a lot of people. Headaches from tangles and a dull dull rocking of the boat put a hurt on me. In the end, we still put on a decent amount of rockfish on. After about an hour here, captain tells use to wind up, were headed home.

On the way back, Nick comes out with the scales and calls out for jackpot contenders. I pull out the bonito and then like 7 people put away their bocaccio. Bonito is on the scales, no other contenders show up for a few minutes. Then one guy pulls out this fat bonito, sets it on the scale and totally trumps my fish. I sigh, then his friend says hes not in the jackpot. People gave him a funny look as he put his bonito back in his sack. Waited a few more minutes, no other contenders. And I was awarded the jackpot on my 7.95 pound bonito.

DISTORTED Glory Shots!!!
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/ogvictor1/Liberty34002.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/ogvictor1/Liberty34003.jpg

Hak's MONSTER FISH!
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/ogvictor1/Liberty34004.jpg
Looks a lot like my bonito. . . .

Hak's other Monster Fish!
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/ogvictor1/Liberty34006.jpg

hakaveli
05-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Nice fishing with u Odium and Vic. Fishing could have been better if we had bait !!!!!!

cappo
05-26-2009, 09:31 AM
What happened to the other boat you guys were going on? Sucks they switched it up on you guys. Good job schooling these "vets" Odium.

hakaveli
05-26-2009, 09:33 AM
What happened to the other boat you guys were going on? Sucks they switched it up on you guys. Good job schooling these "vets" Odium.

Ya i was pissed when they switched us. After our last experience.

FISH_HUNTER
05-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Glad you got some fish, given the conditions (bait/banana's) Thank's for the pick's and report!:Beer Toast:

BTW LOOK MORE "ASIANS" W/NO LICENSES! :LOL::Rolls Eyes::ROFL::Wink:
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/ogvictor1/Liberty34003.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/ogvictor1/Liberty34004.jpg

deanhall32
05-26-2009, 10:10 AM
What boat did they switch you guys from? Must have been something mechanical if they packed 51 guys onto one boat.

Ricky-Ray
05-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the report. Congrat's on JP.

Odium
05-26-2009, 11:34 AM
What boat did they switch you guys from? Must have been something mechanical if they packed 51 guys onto one boat.

We were supposed to go out on the Tide Change, but we were put on the Liberty

victor101
05-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Another tough day on the water for me. First off I arrive at the landing and Hak lets me know that they switched boats on us. Instead of boarding the Tide Change we would be fishing on the Liberty....No big deal since the Liberty is a bigger boat anyway. My last experience on the Liberty at Clemente wasnt great buy maybe this captain would put us on some better fishing at Catalina. As soon as i get on the boat and checked in I head for my bunk and take a nap since i only got a couple hours of sleep that night. I wake up and were still about an hour away from Catalina. Head back to my bunk and 10 mins later the boat slows down and everyone jumps out their bunks. I think theres some kind of mechanical problems or something so i just stay in my bunk. 5 mins later i hear some comotion "GET EM! GET EM! OFF PORT SIDE!" I jump out of my bunk and wake up Odium. Im still half asleep...find my jigstick on the rail...By the time i rigged up my Jig we were off the fish. That would be the most action i would see for the rest of the day. We headed to the kelp line/calico nursery and caught a bunch of short calicos. then we hit another spot that produced a bunch of short sheephead which were fun on 10# test but would of been more fun if they were legal. Then we move again and It seems like were heading to the rockfish grounds. When we get there the captain tells us to flyline as he had gotten reports of bonito running in the area. We were the only fishing boat in the area so I dont know who else was catching them...I toss the iron for a while til i see nobody is hooking up. I put my rod away and wait for us to move. Captain says "If they dont bite on the surface...drop a live sardine to the bottom and catch some rock cod." Ok...I rig up my rockfish setup but couldnt get it to the bottom long enough without tangles because of people still flylining and others using 2oz weights. We were drifting fast and there were people fishing on both sides of the boat. Very unorganized......I give up and put my gear away....all I could think was people come out to Catalina to fish for WSB and Yellowtail, and were out here fishing for Salmon Grouper... This would be the last stop of the day... Its time for jackpot and Odium pulls his bonito out of his sack...No contenders other than that dumb ***** who didnt get in the jackpot. Congrats on another JP ODIUM!!! Total legal fish for me today was 3 perch and 1 whitefish which disappeared from the sack.

Odium and hak, It was good fishing with u guys again. We will slay on our next trip!

deanhall32
05-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Bummer Vic. Surprised you were fishing on a holiday weekend. I try to get you down here and you will only come down during the week!! We have to do a trip or 2 this summer during the week okay?

Jig-Guy
05-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the interesting report & pic's. JP, good for you. 51 folks with a lot of them unorganized, must of been a mess. Maybe you guys will get some YT & WSB next time.:Smile:

paDDy
05-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Nice job on the fish

FISHINGBEE
05-26-2009, 02:05 PM
Bananas on board for sure kill the tail bite. Bonnies dont seem to mind. Great job

FISHINGBEE

JapanRon
05-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Hi Odium,

Great report and pics. Congrats on the JP. Was the guy with the bigger Bonito looking like he wanted to take the JP and was waiting to be called the winner ? Was he busted by his buddy? If after beating you was it being left on the hook for last call ? ...didn't the deck know who was in the JP ..... ?!

thanks for the effort !!

tsurikichi

Odium
05-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Hi Odium,

Great report and pics. Congrats on the JP. Was the guy with the bigger Bonito looking like he wanted to take the JP and was waiting to be called the winner ? Was he busted by his buddy? If after beating you was it being left on the hook for last call ? ...didn't the deck know who was in the JP ..... ?!

thanks for the effort !!

tsurikichi

Not as organized as your reports though!!

Well the other guy busted out his bonito and when they were both weighed he didn't make any attempt to take his off until his friend said he wasnt in the jackpot.

Not sure if the deckhand knew, but with 51 onboard it might have been a little hard to keep track.

ghetto dad
05-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Ok, first off...nice report kid....great job on the jp..

You guys were put on the Liberty, due to the fact that the Tide change had mechanical difficulties...we reserve the right to subsitute boats, as all landings do...51 is much better on the Liberty then the Tide Change anyways.....

Season hasnt even started yet guys, be patient, things will turn around....

GD

eddiefishtaco
05-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Nice report and pics
good job

olfishergal
05-26-2009, 10:30 PM
looks like fun even with the switch.......gottta get out this weekend for sure.....OFG

supasportkid
05-26-2009, 10:32 PM
nice healthy bone head!!