PDA

View Full Version : Huntington Harbor Kayaking 5/25

jplee3
05-25-2009, 07:49 PM
Tried out kayak fishing on a rental for the first time in Huntington Harbor. Went with my gf and it was fun. I haven't been on a kayak in a while, let alone a single. It was quite peaceful. Tried trolling a bit until some lady in another kayak got mad at me for having a line in the water and scolded me. Oops :O

Anyway, we paddled around for a while and I found some nice looking spots with decent structure after a bit. I pull up to a nice little shaded spot and toss out a swimbait and I get a hit on the way down. I had no idea it was a sure hit though (that's how long I've been out of it) so I start reeling and feel pressure and head shakes. Then I forget to give it a good hookset and just as I'm reeling it in it goes bye bye. It was probably a decent sized Spotted Bay Bass I'm guessing. I tried out the area a bit longer with no love.
Decided to start heading back so I stopped off at a few more locations on the way back. One more produced a small bite where I didn't set the hook in time due to a partial birds nest... arghhhh.

Anyway, it was fun to get out and nice to have the feeling of a fish on the line at least. Would've been much better if I had landed them though! Ahhh well... next time :)

BTW: I was able to use the 3rd Grip holster as a rod holder for the kayak. I basically just wore it up on my chest and it worked out OK. It was sorta in the way when I would paddle and wasn't very easily accessible, but it at least freed up my hands a good amount. Hope I can give it another shot sometime soon! I like Huntington Harbor :D