PDA

View Full Version : New Port Pier - Sunday May 24th

SueMarie301
05-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Ok, so here goes my first fishing report. There was 5 of us total that headed down to New Port Pier on Sunday. We got there about 5:15 am and were able to find a nice spot and set up immediately. Our first fish was caught by my husband. It was a nice flounder about 14 inches. At first I thought it was a Halibut but one of the gentlemen fishing near us told us it was a Flounder. I wasn’t sure what the regulations are on it so we let it go. I couldn’t find anything in the booklet we got for ocean fishing nor could I get anything to pop up on my phone when I tried to search the net. Other than that, we caught a few mackerel for some catfishing and some smelt which I used to “attempt” to get a Halibut. It was TOO busy to even try tossing out an artificial. I was just happy I was able to have a spot to toss my line out much less do it over and over again hehe… Oh, I even caught a few lizard fish…interesting little creatures! Weirdest catch of the day goes to my sister…a starfish…he swallowed the hook! All I caught was mack and smelt. All catch and released cept the mackarel and the smelt.

The water was beautiful. We actually saw a school of mackarel come in and speed by as a seal came into the area. I don't think I'll be visiting the peir again on a holiday... YEESH! Packed like sardines and lots of lines crossed. It's amazing how fast you can lose your spot...even to turn around to rebait your hook.

Here are some pics.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x234/suemarie301/New%20Port%20Pier%205-24-09/IMG_1349.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x234/suemarie301/New%20Port%20Pier%205-24-09/IMG_1350.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x234/suemarie301/New%20Port%20Pier%205-24-09/IMG_1357.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x234/suemarie301/New%20Port%20Pier%205-24-09/IMG_1359.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x234/suemarie301/New%20Port%20Pier%205-24-09/IMG_1362.jpg

I hear a lot about the jetties in Dana Point. I'll have to figure out how to get there and make that my next trip.

Take Care & Happy Fishing!
Sue...

samgann93
05-25-2009, 09:28 PM
i went to balboa and must of caught 50 mackerel within 1.5 hours.

good job out there

SueMarie301
05-25-2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks...the mack didn't start hitting til about 3:30pm. The guys at the end of the pier behind the cafe caught some earlier in the day. There were actually smaller than what I've caught before, but still makes good bait for cat fish.

So now yer all ready for your bat ray fishing :) let me know how that goes.

Sue...

Tesserz
05-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Nice job out there!
That's a weird looking flounder, lol. The spots on it are pretty crazy looking.
I agree, pier fishing on a busy weekend can get really annoying.
Someone stole your spot as you were rebaiting?? That sucks! Sorry to hear that. :Neutral:
But it looks like you had a good day overall. Nice first report! Glad to see other girls up on here. :Thumbs Up:

Tess

SueMarie301
05-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Hey there... I read your post earlier today...nice to see other ladies out and about...you are much braver than I have...I have yet to lip any fish LOL! Thanks for the reply :)

Sue...

Fisherman57
05-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Looks like a nice grip of mackeral for a catfish session!
Congrats and thanks for the report!

I dont think its a hali'.... as Halibut have squared corners and flat ends on their tail fins, while almost all the other Pacific flatfish have rounded tails.

Hard to tell by the pics..... maybe a juvenile diamond turbot?... sole?.....flounder?...

Megsdad
05-25-2009, 11:08 PM
cool looking flounder! the markings and spots on it are quite different.
So now you're ready go cat fishing, good deal.

Joe

Wingnut
05-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Excellent first report! Cool markings on that flat fish whatever species it is. Maybe the dots mimics big eyes to scare potential predators off.
Thanks for the report. :Cool:

yamafish
05-26-2009, 05:47 AM
Nice report and pics :Smile:

yamafish - rodger

samgann93
05-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks...the mack didn't start hitting til about 3:30pm. The guys at the end of the pier behind the cafe caught some earlier in the day. There were actually smaller than what I've caught before, but still makes good bait for cat fish.

So now yer all ready for your bat ray fishing :) let me know how that goes.

Sue...

i actually went that night. only got a few that were all up to 20lb and something spooled me on 30lb. i hyave no idea what it was. i was pisted!!!! while we were waiting i got a suprise bay bass that went for a big a** chunk of mackerel. haha. it was fun overall.
and like you said. the mackerel were a lot smaller. i did have a couple big ones mixed in but good bait either way.

flyngby
05-26-2009, 12:03 PM
That flattie is a Fantail Sole!

Nice work on the peir.

Steve

SueMarie301
05-26-2009, 01:47 PM
57 – Wow…I did a google search on the fish you mentioned. I don’t know how you keep all these fish straight hehehe. They all look so similar. It looks like Flyngby has it though...a Fantail Sole.

Megsdad – Yes…all ready for some catfishing. Although now I want to go back to the ocean and do a little more fishing there heheh…

Samgann93 – 20lbs…I think the largest fish I’ve ever pulled in was a 4lb cat fish LOL…I can’t imagine the fight a 20lb fish can give. I’m looking forward to finding out tho!

Flyngby – Ahh yes…a Fantail Sole. Beautiful fish for sure. Thanks!

Wingnut & Yamafish – Thanks for the replies!

Take Care & Happy Fishing!

Sue…