PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Perch

BishopTrouter
05-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Well i just got back from my memorial day trip in the bishop area and i spent yesterday getting some slow perch action at crowley around the whiskey bay area (i know...its the most fished out area) but i did manage to pull out 4 small perch in a short time...
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f59/BishopTrouter/fish/Picture416.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f59/BishopTrouter/fish/Picture419.jpg

Well needless to say they're on the grill right now (Im trying out cooking em whole as opposed to fileted) but after seeing boats come in from around the lake with buckets filled with perch.. i got a question,

Shouldnt we be putting a limit on these guys?

I did some research and found that Crowley, PVR, and Bridgeport rez are some of the very few lakes to actually have these fish b/c they were knocked out of their native area around the delta... so I just had a concern about the future of perch fishing if this kind of slayage is gonna go on everyday during season?

Just looking for opinions here... sunfish probably multiply like crazy and im trippin for no reason so let me know haha

And while ur at it; i just gutted em, mixed lemon pepper, garlic powder, kosher salt, seasoning pepper, onion flakes and some EVOO, brushed em over the scales and threw em on the grill.... any better suggestions?

fishfinder
05-25-2009, 09:21 PM
I would think eventually there would have to be a limet. but so far the all you can take limet has not hurt. you dont want to have to many in there.
plus the bait restrictions that go into august cut down on people fishing the lake.

Sierra_Smitty
05-26-2009, 08:30 AM
Nice job on the perch!!! I'm probably going to wait a week or so and then head over there to get in on that....I'd love some fish tacos.

At some point I would like to see them put a limit on perch, say 25 or so, but right now I don't think it's necessary because the number of people targeting them is low. Sooner or later that bite is going to get really popular and that's when a limit would be nice.

viva la panfish!

Smitty

fishtacomag
05-26-2009, 08:53 PM
smitty has a nice article in the latest Fish Taco Chronicles about catching Sac Perch--once again great job brother--you truely have a gift
shawn

Rick James
05-27-2009, 12:58 PM
how can i get a copy of this or where do i buy?

fishtacomag
05-27-2009, 03:11 PM
PM me and I will tell you were to send me a check for $3.00 and I will mail you the summer issue. This will go first class and I think in the envelope the cost is around $2.70. So you can see this is not a money making request. Or if you pm me and tell me where you live I can see if there are any tackle shops around you that provide free ones. Also if you send the $3 and like it I will apply the $3 to your $10 subscription. This is a special FNN offer I just made up. I am going to Alaska tomorrow till Monday so if you do it Thursday or Friday it won't be processed till Tuesday
shawn