PDA

View Full Version : Silverwood: May 25

copeyboy
05-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Went out to the 'Wood today. Got up at 4:40 and was on the road by 5. Got up to Silverwood at about 5:40 and there was already a line of people waiting to get in. I drove right on past them and went to the Miller Canyon end. Got my gear ready and hiked in to my trusty spot. The water level is low again, so I was able to slide down the incline for a beachfront spot where there normally isn't one. I only brought one pole with me, which I proceeded to bait up with a piece of anchovie and throw out. It got hammered within about 10 minutes and I was stoked. I brought it in and found a nice-sized catfish on the hook. I got it in, unhooked it, and let it go. I threw out again and got another hit about 45 minutes later. This was a schoolie striper, which I proceeded to keep. I've never cooked striper before, so I decided that I was going to keep at least one to try out. I threw back out and got another catfish. I ended up catching one more catfish that went about 3 pounds. It was a fattie. I'm wishing I would have kept it, but I have no idea how to clean and fillet a catfish. I think I'll keep one next trip and ask you guys how to do it. On my way back, I passed a grip of people lined up to go into the park. This was at 11 and it was already full. The rangers were turning people away. I saw a bunch of cars parked on the side of 138 with people getting their stuff out to just walk in. It was insane. I was out for about 4 hours and caught 4 fish. Not bad, but I hope to do better next time. Lates.

Billy Bass
05-25-2009, 08:13 PM
You were smart getting there so early. You beat the crowds and the wind. I bet it was insanely crowded there later on. Congrats on tjhe striper

James<626>
05-26-2009, 12:05 AM
I give u props. I went 2yrs ago for long weekend also, rented a pontoon with my 2 cousins all day & got nothing. No bites at all. Lake was over crowded w/ boats & sea doos they were just playing around on the water. I guess we just picked a wrong time 2 go. The only thing we got, was flashed by 2 chicks in another boat.

crappie stalker
05-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Nice report. Good choice on going to miller.. The cats are cut or filleted just like any other fish.. Slice down to the back bone behind the gill and run your knife down that bone towards the tail. Dont cut it off, stop short of the tail and flip that long fillet over. Now start at the small end and run your knife along the skin side cutting the flesh from the skin towards the thick part of flllet and wellah... Cut the ribs off if you want and get ready to cook.. There is also a vein that runs through the fillet right down the lateral line from front to back. You can see the vein from either end of the fillet. It is a thin white vein just like the kind you see inside shrimp when you vein them. Grab it and pull it out and the fillet will taste even better..
Most people know nothing about this vein and usually just leave it in, but it is worth pulling it out..

Hope this helps,
Crappie Stalker