PDA

View Full Version : 6/20/2007 Southern California LBC

IslandBoi
06-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Me, the buddy Oz and my lil bro headed out on the morning boat out of LBC "Southern California" Ryan was the captain, Ryan was the deckhand and Big Ed was in the Galley.

Me & Oz
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d33/islandboi671/Picture143.jpg

Lil Bro and Me
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d33/islandboi671/Picture144.jpg

Anxiety set in, headed out of the dock to the bait barge (these anchovies were ridiculously small but it got them biting.). Got a nice load of scoops and headed to our spot. Lines wet at 8:00 am and WFO !!!! on the cuda ..... Once the jigs hit the water, HOOK UP!!!!!! and of course I was not prepared for the cuda run .....

Setup (Which I now know, I need to spend a little money to get a nice setup)
Abu Garcia 5000 reel
Izorline XXX #15
Hayabusa circle hooks 1/0 & 2/0
Live bait

I got slammed every time I hit the water (about 10 hook ups but only managed 3 due to either coming unhooked or losing the hook entirely. Or the damn reel malfunctioning or getting tangled in someone else’s line. ARGH, very frustrating !!!!!! Everyone else was using jigs, but, I'm not familiar on how to fish these so I just went with the live bait. (any tips on a setup would be great)

Had the torpedo 2 oz. weight then about 1’ leaded and my circle hook.

It was my lil bro’s 2nd time fishing on a boat, last time I took him out, we got the fat skunk and he was bummed, this time I wanted him to get on some fish. My fault, I should have been better prepared because he hooked up on about 6 cuda’s but same as me, either came unhooked, or lost the hook itself.

Bite slowed down around 10:00 so we headed out to some flat ground for some bass and maybe sculpin. It was dead, my lil bro did manage to catch 2 mackerel, so the skunk was off.

All in all, it was a great time, my lil bro got on some fish and I think he may have the bug now !!!!

My only complaint:
We were in the back of the boat, once we hit our spot and lines got wet and the bite went WFO !!! It was like a mad dash to the back and these guys were just pushing their way in, hence the lines getting tangled, it was really pissing me off, especially when we checked in, they assigned us numbers. But I was like whatever.

Big Ed hooked it up on the way back, greatest double cheeseburger ever!!!! (prolly cuz we were hungry)

It was a great time, great crew and boat, definitely recommend and will go out again. Great way to come back to wetting my line.

P.S TEAM 57 was flying high and mighty

My 3 Cuda'z
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d33/islandboi671/Picture145.jpg

My Big Daddy Cuda
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d33/islandboi671/Picture146.jpg

Oz and his 2 cuda'z
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d33/islandboi671/Picture147.jpg

vanillagurilla
06-20-2007, 02:34 PM
good report!! i used to go out of 22nd street landing and LBSF all the time. congrats on the cudas!! oh there excelent on the bbq.

Girlzluvfishin
06-20-2007, 02:48 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock: Nice cudas man!! great report sounds like fun!

achan618
06-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Great Job on the fish. I saw that the Barracuda were biting this morning on another site, so I'm glad it was verified with this report so early this afternoon. I'm going out of the Long Beach Marina landing tomorrow, so hopefully the Barracuda will still be there.

SOSO
06-20-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks for sharing! Thats one of my favorite boats. I caught alot of Cudas last summer on that boat.

Wingnut
06-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Sounds like you guys a a great time, nice CUDAS!

4g63power
06-20-2007, 07:11 PM
good job dude..looks like you guys had a great time..hope your bro gets on more fish next time yall head out..use heavier line and may be 2/0 or 3/0 live bait hook next time for cudas...but i also use lighter line for them..cudas are fun on 10-15lb..i also dont mind losing em cause i dont keep cudas anyway..fishing in the stern can get chaotic during this time of season..next time just tell them its your number..cause those same people..will do the same if you push your way in..no need to be nice to assholes :roll:

uandme
06-21-2007, 07:57 AM
your setup is fine. i'd add 30lb spectra leader just in case though. flyline the bait and let it run until something hit it or it comes to a stop. reel in and change bait if it doesn't get picked up.

cuda fishing is probably one of the easiest IMHO. guys use jigs kuz its clean and quick. no need to mess with bait or run to the bait tank when u lose one. give it a try next time u go out. it's a lot of fun!

Sea Murda
06-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Nice report dude! You've been MIA for a while, glad you got on some fish!

BBL2Baja
06-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Great report! Nice slimesticks!!! :thumb:

Nothing better than a charterboat cheeseburger!

Later,
Scott

IslandBoi
06-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Nice report dude! You've been MIA for a while, glad you got on some fish!

It's been a busy month dude, Newborn baby, car crash, starting a business.

It was great getting back on the water.