PDA

View Full Version : Surf Fishing in Oxnard

glumace
05-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Going up to Oxnard next week for a quick family vacation. Staying right on the beach at the mandalay bay resort so I'm going to try to get some early morning and late afternoon time in the surf. I have never fished the area before, any suggestions on the area and equipment? I'm going to try to keep it as light as I can equipment wise. Taking 4 kids, the wife and mom/dad with us. Not a lot of room for non essentials in the van :Cool:

Thanks!

achan618
05-26-2009, 02:49 PM
I stayed last week at a resort near there Channel Island Shores. I saw people fishing from shore. I didn't see anyone catch anything, while I was out there but they said they were catching surf perch about 2 weeks ago. I tried to fish for about 15 minutes and didn't get anything. It got cold and windy, so I just called it a day. One thing I liked was that there didn't seem to be any seaweed, which is great when surf fishing. If you get access to sand crabs, that should work from what I heard. The docks at Captain Hooks also allows fishing, but you have to pay $10 to fish off the dock. However you do get access to some live anchovies/sardines. If you can make it out on the boat, the rockfishing has been good. I caught 8 rockcod on the Island Spirit on 5/19.

ichthus
05-30-2009, 10:56 AM
Sorry I couldn't get to you sooner. I just activated my account and I'm guessing you're already up on the beach. I have fished the beach in front of the Embassy Suites Mandalay for the last 6-7 years over the 4th of July. (Be there again this year) The best bait for me has been the gulp sandworm in Camo color. I fish it carolina rigged with a 3/4 ounce sliding sinker on a size 8 baitholder hook. Toss it out and retrieve it at a pace that just keeps your line tight. We've caught some nice barred surfperch there over the years as well as a few corvina and yellow fin croaker. I break each sandworm into 2 or 3 pieces and thread it onto the hook. You can fish the same technique with sandcrabs, mussel or clam and do pretty well too. My second choice would be 1-1/2 to 2 inch plastic grub in motor oil with red flake pattern. Give these a quicker more deliberate retrieve. I've also used a heavier rig to toss an anchovy way out there in hope of a halibut with no luck, but the sandsharks seem to love them. Good luck, hope ou were able to get this in time to be helpful.

Cangler
06-02-2009, 02:47 PM
I do 90% on my fishing in the Oxnard area ... pm me if you have anymore
questions !