PDA

View Full Version : NPH, First timers' exp and we need ALOT of help/advice

ddustin
05-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Hi All,

After reading all the successful sessions, I decide to head on out with my son yesterday to give it a shot, but we got lost and we didn't know where to surf fish. We ended up driving around and found a pier/dock on M or K street, but it was packed with like 10 fishermen so we ended up fishing on Balboa Pier. Total catch of the day (6am-12:30PM) = 1 small mack.

Bitter and unsatisfied, I decided to head on back to NPH today with a buddy to catch ourselves some sharks/rays/halibuts/bass. We rented the skiff and fished at all the suggested spots (wedge, sheriff, bait place, etc). We saw Maverick , his wife and his baby tearing it up (Well, actually Maverick's wife was the one who wreaking havoc on em bass). We tried to stay close to Maverick to steal some techniques/secrets :Big Grin:, but no good. The area got really crowded around 10:30-11ish and the skiff kept on drifting, so we decided to try our luck else where. Through out the day, we had some nibbles here and there, but nothing hooked/commited. All in all, we had a really good time, but we would have had a great time if we caught something :Neutral: Total result for today: 0, Tackle: 10lbs, drop shot rig, Bait: squid, live sardine, gulp shrimp, shrimp.

We are planning to head on back to NPH in a couple of weeks and we hope to catch/hook some fish this time around(or should i say, catch a fish for once :Big Grin:). So if there is anyone who has some pointers/tips/directions and is willing to give us some; or better yet, if there is anyone who is willing to take us along on their next fishing trip to show us the rope (surf fishing or from a boat), please sent email or IM. We don't bite, I promise. :Big Grin: And of course, we are more than happy to compensate you for your time, gas money, bait money, or so (please just be kind and reasonable :Big Grin:).

Thank you in advance,

Dustin

RobMoney
05-24-2009, 06:00 PM
Ive always used 6-8# test (p-line)carolina rigged, on skiffs or from shore around NPH. Keeping it simple still works. Another thing I noticed with frozen anchovies, is the fish are sometimes picky as to what part of the anchovy you hook. This morning around 7am when the tide was low, I was getting hit off tails, and as the tide started coming in, I had to switch to the middle portions of the anchovy.

the good thing about a skiff, is that if one spot isnt producing, you're free to roam about the harbor....

as for drifting, that is inevitable....especially when the tide is coming or going. Those little anchors aren't going to do much against the force of nature.

NPH is a fun place to fish, and it usually always produces. Im no pro when it comes to fishing, but I always seem to fair decent there. You just have to try different things, and see what works best for you. Everyone has their own method....

Troutman65
05-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Keep trying. I am sure you will hook up with something soon. I would think half the fun is exploring and finding your spots on your own. Read the reports and keep trying. Looking forward to reading your report when you hook up into something nice there.:Wink:

ddustin
05-24-2009, 11:51 PM
Hi RobMoney,

Thanks for the tips and I definitely will try the carolina rig and using different parts of the bait next time around.

Hi Troutman65,

You're right, it was fun exploring the area. I'm still in awe with how nice some of the boats/yachts/houses were. NPH was very different from the lakes/parks that we usually go to. As for posting photos, hopefully by this time tomorrow, I'll have some to post up (that's right, we're heading out again tomorrow. Hopefully, the third try is a charm). Wish us luck!!! :Big Grin:

Thank you all for all the tips and comments.

Dustin