PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Report 5/20-5/22

Joshua
05-24-2009, 07:33 AM
We made our pre-Memorial Day annual trip. This used to be a guys trip with about 20 of us. Alot of beer drinking and sheeet talking. Now it is just me. I enlisted some new people last year,. One of them being my mother (yes, my mom) She loved it, so she came back for more.
Brought my nephew and his new dog (rukka)
http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt120/Thansen56_2009/bishop05-09/DSC_3441.jpg

Got out of OC and 2 AM, Was on Lone Pine sandtrap around 6 am after having a terrible breakfast at Four Season Cafe in Lone Pine Just a heads up, they only take cash. I was planning on hitting the ATM in Bishop and didnt have much cash. Dine and dash, RUN MOM, RUN. Move your arthritic b-hind!!!!!!!
Fished the sand trap for maybe 45 minutes. I C&R 3. It was slow so we took off up stream. Hit a couple of the other likely spots on the creek. Very little action. My mom isnt the most proficient caster, so she needs some open space and fish. Lone Pine wasnt doing it. Decided to head up to Lone Pine campground, but took a detour to Tuttle Creek. Good Choice.
http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt120/Thansen56_2009/bishop05-09/DSC_3431.jpg

Found a pool that had 20-30 planters for mom. Put her on them with some salmon eggs and power worms. It was instant action. I took off to check out some other spots. There were fish in most of the deeper pools. If you know how to read a creek you can find the fish. The fish were big by DFG standards.
Headed to Big Pine. Put mom on the pond for nothing and I took off for the creek. The camphost told me it wasnt fishing very good and most people are coming back empty handed. I managed to land 2 fish, but it is tough. The water is running fast.
Ran up to Bishop South Fork, Basecamp for the week (Creekside RV park). I had spoken to Ron early in the week and I informed him that none of the Bishop Drainage was on the stock schedule. When I walked into the Office on Wednesday he was on the phone with someone at DFG and he was giving them an earfull. He got DFG to stock the lakes and creeks. He obviously knows who to yell at. I am sure he wasnt the only one making phone calls. Seems stupid to NOT stock this area on such a big weekend?????? (Mule Days, long weekend)
Fished below Sabrina and called it a night
http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt120/Thansen56_2009/bishop05-09/DSC_3483-1.jpg
Thursday
Decided to head to Mammoth for a repeat performance from last year. 6 Alpers over 4 lbs. Got to the gate to head to Mary and it was closed. what???? Fishing Lower Twin for a few minutes and had lunch. Headed for Rock Creek. Stopped off at Tuff campground for some steady action. PRetty consistent bite on all the usual stuff (eggs, PB, PW)
Ran up the Hill and went to Rock Creek Lake. Lit it up on Thomas Bouyant and PW. The PW worked better. Fish seemed to be lethargic with the cold water. Bouncing a PW or jig worked well
http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt120/Thansen56_2009/bishop05-09/DSC_3472.jpg

Friday
Ran to Mammoth again. This time the gate was open. Got up to Mary and setup around 8 am (late by my standards) My preferred spot was taken, so we scouted around for some deep water. Set-up and sat and watched my rods. My nephew landed 2 and I got zero. Decided to improve our odds and went to George. George was mostly frozen along the front side. walked to the back side and had alot of fun. Slow retrieve was the key. Tried hardware but the fish couldnt catch up, They showed interest, but didnt strike aggresively. LAZY @SSS. PW were the trick. PB was working, but I got tired of cutting the line to release them.
THunderstorm and lightening hitting the top of the hill sent us heading for the car. I would have stayed by mom said it was time to go.(Coming, mother) Got hammered by hail on the hike back to the car.
http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt120/Thansen56_2009/bishop05-09/DSC_3487.jpg
http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt120/Thansen56_2009/bishop05-09/DSC_3492.jpg

Hit up Convict on the way back. Way toooo windy to hit the lake so we hit the creek. Nailed a few on the creek by the lower bridge on eggs. Was cold and windy (and late) so we headed back to Creekside.

Fished the creek at the top of the campground. had this guy drive up and come stand next to me. he commented on the size of the fish and walked away. He came back with his rod in hand. He proceeded to cast on his side which was 5 feet from me. Then he started to cast in the middle of the creek. Then he started to cast over me. I turned and asked," Do you do this often'? a-hole: "Yes, I fish here often." Me: No , I meant do you fish over people's shoulders often"? He was shocked and didnt say anything for a moment, a-hole: "I wasnt going to cross your line". Me: It is common fishing etiquette not to fish ontop of someone". a-hole: "Dude, Im not going to cross your line." This went on for awhile. He was 15-20 years older than me. he was stunned that someone younger would have to teach him etiquette. I told him that if my nephew (who was with me) were to do what he just did, I would jump his @sss. It is wrong and you know it. I said, "All you had to do was ask if there was room to cast. We could have made room" Thought I was st Chris' Pond at SARL
He left and stormed off to his car. As soon as we walked away I pulled my line and left. I told a-hole that he could have the spot, But he drove off with his beer in his hand.
I had a similar experience during the opener and I let it slide, Not this time. My nephew was with me and I preach fishing etiquette to him all the time (he is 18) . I had to reinforce what I was have been saying for years

Didnt make it up to see Smitty.
Oh yeah, Had a bear in camp 2 nights. I slept through the whole thing. Heard it went thru Parchers and created a mess for Smitty

Overall;
Fishing: Good ( hit and miss) No fatties this year, Biggest was close to 2 lbs.
Weather : Awesome ( Bishop seemd to miss the bad weather)
I was in shorts most days. Mornings on the hill were chilly

Crowds: Started to get heavy on Friday. That is why I leave on Saturday.

Catch & Filet
05-24-2009, 08:46 AM
Nice report, good job on putting these a-holes in check! Two guys tried to do the exact same thing to us last week. (exchanged a few choice words and they left) Wife thought I was over-reacting but had to explain to her we don't drive 5 hours to the sierra's for people to fish on top of us. Any pics?

Sierra_Smitty
05-24-2009, 09:31 AM
Nice report dude.

Funny story about the jerk with no clue....and kudos for calling him on it.

It's also funny that Ron was burning someone's ear off when you walked into Creekside. After seeing your post early in the week I called Ron and passed on the non-stocking info. I can always trust that Ron won't stand for that stuff and he certainly isn't afraid to ruffle any feathers. After spending the day on the phone with county supervisors and the DFG folks, the trucks were on their way. Gotta love it!

Yoyo
05-24-2009, 02:31 PM
THanks for the cool report. I love living through everyone else's trips. Sounds like you and Mom had a great time. Good job on putting that guy in his place. There's nothing but space up there and no reason to do what he did.

Jon

madhatter
05-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Sounds like the same guy I experienced last year while fishing Bishop Creek with my aunt! The guy pulled up, came right up to my aunt to tell us about how he loves to fish that section of the creek, left, came back with his rod, fished RIGHT over our shoulders, and was very irritating. I had left to take some photos of the stream but my aunt evidently gave him an earful. Then, as if things couldn't get any worse, the DFG came along and stocked the stream. Hardly a second after the warden put a net filled with trout into the stream, the fisherloser had his hook RIGHT where the fish were schooled/shocked yelling for his wife to bring the net because they had just stocked and he wanted to try snagging the trout. The warden seemed pretty peeved and threatened to stay there until the fish had disbursed. The fisherloser left. As much as I hate encountering guys like him in local waters and brag to my friends that fishing in the Sierras is so much more tranquil, a few of them seem to find their way up there.

Joshua
05-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Nice report, good job on putting these a-holes in check! Two guys tried to do the exact same thing to us last week. (exchanged a few choice words and they left) Wife thought I was over-reacting but had to explain to her we don't drive 5 hours to the sierra's for people to fish on top of us. Any pics?
As I walked over to my nephew, who was on the other side of the creek.He said ," I was already putting on more weight. I was going to snag his line every time he casted this way."
That was awesome to hear. My 18 year old nephew knows how to handle a-holes without confronting them. I have taught him well.

I will get some fotos posted. My mom took a boat load. I need to get her CD

mammothfishin
05-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Nice report. It really sucks when one douche can ruin a nice day of fishing.

I was on the Upper Owens last September fishing this nice hole that is just through the gate. An RV with three kids and two adults rolls up and they proceed to get all Orvised out. I don't think anything of them walking towards me becasue the gate is so close but they all literally park themselves within ten feet of me and two jump in the water with waders. I cast again in disbelief and the Dad begins to show the youngest how to cast a fly rod. After trying to hook them in the face with no luck I explain to the Dad that he should teach his child some fishing etiquette before he teaches him how to cast.

What a tool.

Joshua
05-26-2009, 12:09 PM
added some fotos