PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 day charter on the Orion

deanhall32
05-24-2009, 07:31 AM
I went on a charter boat, the Orion. with 14 other guys out to the Coronado Islands to look for yellowtail and anything else that swims on the surface.

Long story short- same old story with the exception of the weather. The conditions were outstanding but the fish didn't want to bite.

This was my third time out this month and all that would bite was the barracuda. Captain Bryan stopped on the way out so everyone could load up on the barracuda. We then spent the rest of the day looking for YT as we weaved through the entire fleet out of SD.

Jackpot went to some guy who caught a 13 lb. goat. I was napping on the way in and missed the photoshoot but how many shots of barracuda and bottomfish does one want to see?

I threw iron for 8 straight hours and my arm is hanging as if I just threw 9 innings. Captain B told us to keep the cudas because they have the RSW system and he swears that cuda tastes great. I will try some cuda tacos tonight.

A couple of side notes:

* we got back to the landing at 9PM and it was a 3/4 day boat-awesome!

* a Mexican navy gunboat was hanging around the Islands all day long and even boarded the Dolphin ( 3/4 day boat out of Seaforth)

* DFG was present at the landing so be sure to be legal

ghetto dad
05-24-2009, 07:34 AM
Nice job Coach!!! Im going to hit you up when I make my 1 1/2 day on the Orion (or other boat) this tuna season....I want you go go......take it easy Coach...

GD

deanhall32
05-24-2009, 07:41 AM
Nice job Coach!!! Im going to hit you up when I make my 1 1/2 day on the Orion (or other boat) this tuna season....I want you go go......take it easy Coach...

GD

Dude- that would be so much fun! Can't wait for things to just blow up but in the meantime save your pennies....

4g63power
05-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Nice coach! Can't wait for our august trip

deanhall32
05-24-2009, 09:00 AM
Nice coach! Can't wait for our august trip

Can't wait either Jimmy. B and his crew were talkin about that trip too. Sounds like the same guys as last year will be on DavidE's charter.

David- remember the Hawaiian tatoo artists that were on the 1 1/2 day charter this winter on the Orion? The loud guy? Well, this charter that B let me join was his charter and 6 guys that we met last time were on this trip..

ymin72
05-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Coach!!!!!!! How's things been?
I was out on Dolphin Saturday morning..... guess we missed each other at the landing.
It was the Voyager that got boarded by DFG, not the Dolphin. Capt. of Dolphin gave each angler a mexican permit as we were getting off in case DFG asked questions. Not sure what happened to Voyager but the anglers were still on board as we walked off the dock.
Anyways, good to see that your still going out and putting in your time on the water. Good things are bound to happen.
See you later Coach.

deanhall32
05-24-2009, 11:21 AM
I was out on Dolphin Saturday morning..... guess we missed each other at the landing.
It was the Voyager that got boarded by DFG, not the Dolphin. Capt. of Dolphin gave each angler a mexican permit as we were getting off in case DFG asked questions. Not sure what happened to Voyager but the anglers were still on board as we walked off the dock.
Anyways, good to see that your still going out and putting in your time on the water. Good things are bound to happen.
See you later Coach.

Hey Mike,

Must have just missed you when you were boarding. Was the fishing scratchy for you guys too? We were told that the Mexican naval gunship boarded you guys while you were at the Coronados. True?
When we got back in at 9 last night the crew of the Voyager were still cleaning the boat. Guess they didn't wait around for us.

See you down at the landing or on a trip this summer..

Ricky-Ray
05-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Great report Coach!!!! What no food pic's for me???? :)

JapanRon
05-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Hi deanhall32,

Nice report as usual from one of the top SDers reporting on moo-moo action at FNN.

thanks,

JapanRon

deanhall32
05-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Hi deanhall32,

Nice report as usual from one of the top SDers reporting on moo-moo action at FNN.

thanks,

JapanRon

Thanks JapanRon,

I don't think you would have enjoyed the trip I went on. First of all it was a Saturday and not a weekday. Second of all I went on a boat that had no rail numbers. And third of all I went to a place where the whole San Diego fleet decided to hang out. Plus, I had no pictures to show. So....I look forward to your report in the middle of the week! Thanks for the reply..

Coach

Troutman65
05-24-2009, 08:27 PM
Nice going out there. Thanks for sharing on FNN.:Envious:

DavidE
05-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Dude looks like overnight boats are getting them down there. How did that cuda taste??

deanhall32
05-25-2009, 08:42 AM
Nice going out there. Thanks for sharing on FNN.:Envious:

Thanks TM65. I hear that you might be spotted someday fishing saltwater!!!!!

deanhall32
05-25-2009, 08:46 AM
Dude looks like overnight boats are getting them down there. How did that cuda taste??

David,

The cuda makes good tacos!!!! A light battered fillet put into a flour tortilla with a little white sauce was tasty! The rockfish as always was good but the salmon grouper smelled soooo bad when I took it out of the bag that it stunk up the whole house. I had to throw out. The stories I hear about Salmon grouper are true!!!

Santa Fe Eric
05-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Wow! You deep water guys are patient!
Freshwater anglers get pissed when they drop a twenty at SARL and don't get their limit!
You guys spend much more, fish harder and still complement the boat when you don't get your targeted species!

Nice Job Dean Hall!

deanhall32
05-25-2009, 02:58 PM
Wow! You deep water guys are patient!
Freshwater anglers get pissed when they drop a twenty at SARL and don't get their limit!
You guys spend much more, fish harder and still complement the boat when you don't get your targeted species!

Nice Job Dean Hall!

Pretty funny SFE,

It is true about salt water guys but there are some similarities between fresh and salt guys. Salt guys throw up from being seasick. Fresh water guys throw up from too many beers the night before camping out at Irvine Lake. Salt water guys reach into a bait tank to grab a nice greenback sardine, fresh water guys reach into a bag to grab a gulp shad. Salt water guys have a jackpot amongst others on the boat, fresh water guys have a weekend tournament that leads up to something called the masters. There are more but the bottom line is getting out!!

Thanks man..

sansou
05-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Good report Coach! (I want pics next time though! LOL)

It's smart of Brian to not fish the boat over by the gunship and risk 3 hours of BS getting boarded...

Let's go fishing!!

LA Smoker
05-26-2009, 01:48 PM
See you later Coach.

Holy crap... he's aliiiiiiive!!!!

Liteliner
05-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Anytime you can catch fish on the iron is a good trip.:Big Grin: To bad the yellows didnt cooperate. Thanks for the report. Baby is almost out of the oven so I will be fishing once this year very soon....:LOL:

trlrtrsh67
05-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Holy crap... he's aliiiiiiive!!!!

Must be El Nino or something, I see a response from Mike then K3vin on another thread...damn, funjunkie is gonna pop up sooner or later too.