PDA

View Full Version : ocean odessy

really_drunk
05-23-2009, 10:02 PM
any of u guys of gals been on this boat b4...im lookin to do a 2 dayer and am tryin to find a good boat w/ good crew so if ya ever been on her b4 or even have another boat that u would reccomed for a 2 dayer out of san diego i'd appreciate ur input!!...thinking bout going 2nd or 3rd week of august.

Ricky-Ray
05-24-2009, 12:57 AM
Did an overnight on it about 2 years ago. Fishing was slow but captain tried hard. We found a kelp paddy loaded with yellows at the very end of the day and he stayed on it for a while so we could get a few in the sacks. We wound up getting back about 2 hours later than usual.

I've also done some 2 day trips on the Shogun, Black Pearl, Pacific Star, and the Islander. All good boats with a great crew. I highly recommend anyone of them.

flopps1
05-24-2009, 12:07 PM
You may also want to consider some of the boats out of Seaforth. Boats work hard as well. Plus, parking isn't a pain like it is at the big 3 landings.

deanhall32
05-24-2009, 02:32 PM
You may also want to consider some of the boats out of Seaforth. Boats work hard as well. Plus, parking isn't a pain like it is at the big 3 landings.

Went on a 2 day trip 2 years ago on the OO. I remember a few things about it and I don't want to be negative but here goes:

1) The captain and his 2nd ( a female who might have been his g/f) argued the whole time

2) We were fishing off the bow and used the front bait tank. Minutes later a deckhand walks up and takes the dip net away. We asked him why he did that and he said that the captain told him to. We asked the captain why we can't use the bait tank and he said that he was saving it for his next trip out. Ironically, 2 weeks later a buddy of mine encountered the same scenario on the same boat and they actually ran out of bait on the morning of the second day.

3) The boat rides super high out of the water. I mean so high that if you are on another boat a few miles away you can tell that it is the OO due to its tallness.

Other than that it is a great boat!!

bsp
05-24-2009, 06:11 PM
I went on it once and had a relatively good experience. The captains were very knowledgeable, but as Dean said they often disagreed. We did run out of bait, and that was at the last stop of the day. It sucked because that was the best stop. The deckhands worked hard throughout the day, and were always looking for paddies. We never got a troll strike. The big negative for me was how tall the boat was. It definitely interfered with my fishing because I lost my two of the day, 25lb-30lb class bull dorados, when the gaff could barely reach the fish. It made for a rough ride back too because the boat swayed so much from side to side.

really_drunk
05-24-2009, 06:20 PM
hmmm maybe i ought to look into sum of the boats that ricky-ray suggested... i got about 3 to 450$ budget i was excited bout the OO cause it was 485 w/ meals n permits....thx 4 replies with a lil help ill hammer this trip out!!

Ricky-Ray
05-24-2009, 06:40 PM
I'll be doing a 2 day on the Seahorse July 29-31. $275 to go plus food. Liteliner is also going too. Good captain and crew. Captain Tyler works hard to get you on the fish, and Butch makes some really good food too.

really_drunk
05-24-2009, 06:58 PM
where they gunna be fishing and for what species??? ***** i might just save 200 bucks!! i need a tuna or yellow tail bad this year skunked out last year :Evil::Evil:

THROWBACK RANGER
05-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Eddie on the el dorado runs a great operation!! The crew is usually on top of their game! I was on a few 2 day trip on it last year and i was impressed! Its a spacious boat, it has comfortable bunks, good food and the crew took real good care of my fish. Im definitely going to fish that boat again!!!

Ricky-Ray
05-24-2009, 09:17 PM
where they gunna be fishing and for what species??? ***** i might just save 200 bucks!! i need a tuna or yellow tail bad this year skunked out last year :Evil::Evil:

If the tuna or albies are around and in range we will most likely go for that if not then it will be the islands. Last year when I did this trip we started off at Catalina and got into a seabass/halibut bite then motored over to SCI in the mid morning and got into a few yellowtail and then wandered back to Cat to to see if we could make some squid and then stayed there and got into a few more halibut the next morning.