PDA

View Full Version : Crowley Lake May 15-17

kgselect
05-22-2009, 11:29 AM
Finally got a chance to fish and post a report. Sorry for the sparse contributions. In any case, spent the weekend with my friends up in Mammoth Lakes and fished Crowley Lake in float tubes. The weather was really great, but, overall, the fishing was a bit slow. We fished Sandy Point (mostly), Lower Six Bays and McGee Bay. I primarily fly fished with midges and managed to catch 3 trout and a couple of perch on the midge. My friends used inflated night crawlers and were able to scratch out close to limits of fish. Even the guides seemed to have a difficult time locating active fish. A few other float tubers found the right pattern and location on Monday AM and were catching fish fairly consistently. The water temps were in the high 50s and low 60s, but varied quite a bit during the day and overnight. I fished from 11ft to 15ft with varying depths on my indicator. The guides seemed to be targeting the same depth. I used a double midge set-up with a small split shot above the 2nd midge and a float indicator to vary the depth. Tried to keep the bottom fly anywhere from 1’ to 3’ off the bottom. Changed colors and patterns quite a bit (zebra, tiger, emerger, copper, crystal, olive, etc), but, never seemed to find a consistent pattern. The fish were bigger this year on average than last year, and, the Sacramento perch were huge.

Although the fishing was slow, the time on the water was great and it was just nice to get away and be in the beautiful High Sierras.

billy b
05-22-2009, 12:59 PM
... looks familiar

nice boat

Liteliner
05-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Nice job on the fish. Those perch are toads... They are on my list of need to slay fish and I'm hoping to check it off this summer. Thanks for the report.

Flying
05-23-2009, 12:17 AM
Wow those Perch sure are huge. Way bigger than the ones I got.
Did you pick those off of Sandy? I heard one of the Guides talking about some big ones a little further out than where everyone is midging for trout off of Sandy Point.

kgselect
05-23-2009, 10:57 AM
We caught big perch at Sandy Point and the eastern side of McGee Bay. By far, these were the biggest perch on average I've seen taken from Crowley. They seem to be moving to shallow water for the spawn.

troutdog
05-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Love the fat tails on those bows...can't wait to catch some myself ina couple weeks! Thanks for the report and pics.

TD

fishfinder
05-23-2009, 01:17 PM
love the fat tails on those bows...can't wait to catch some myself ina couple weeks! Thanks for the report and pics.

Td

i can't wait til thursday:lol:

sierratroutslaya
05-26-2009, 09:11 AM
Hey.. I know all you guys. How you guys doing?, it's Nathan. My Dad and I were up there earlier this year and we had a real tough go of things. We scratched a few fish everywhere we were but really had no huge success anywhere. Long time no see, we'll have to meet in the Sierras like back in the old days. Good seeing your report..Nate