PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day 2009

GdHkSet1
05-22-2009, 10:12 AM
Memorial Day 2009

On the last Monday in May we honor the memory of those who have died while in the military service of the United Sates of America. Formerly known as Decoration Day, it was first enacted to honor Union soldiers of the American Civil War. After World War I it was expanded to include American casualties of any war or military action.

While many consider Memorial Day to be the unofficial first day of summer, I would like you to take a moment to remember all of those brave and selfless individuals who have fallen on our behalf, as well as those who keep up a tradition of pride in service to our country. The strength of our nation has been built on the sacrifices made by the men and women who lost their lives protecting it. Let us appreciate the lives we live because of those who continue to protect us in the name of freedom.

Remember our loved ones from all wars and for those that have served and continue to serve today in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Finally, I want to give thanks to the families and loved ones who have given their own personal sacrifice as their family members often pay when their spouse or family member is away, or no longer here.

GdHkSet1,
Senior Chief
U.S Navy (Ret) 1983-2005

Fisherman57
05-22-2009, 10:50 AM
Well said.

Wingnut
05-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Amen! :Cool:

FISH_HUNTER
05-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Amen! :Cool:

+1 HOOAH!!!!! AIRBORNE!! :Beer Toast: :Applause:

ElementX
05-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Thank you to all those who serve, have served, and will serve in the name of your country.

City Dad
05-22-2009, 12:52 PM
I think that the best way to show appreciation for the sacrifices of the men and women who have served our country is to make one's own contribution to the society those in uniform have striven to protect. I may not wear a uniform myself, but I can coach a little leage team, I can volunteer at my kids school, I can be a role model... there are innummerable ways a person can serve this country each every day and validate the principles for which so many have given so much. Think about it. I mean, it's the least we can do, right?

troutdog
05-22-2009, 01:51 PM
Very well said :Thumbs Up:

TD