PDA

View Full Version : T.M. Batteries ?

Fisharrow
05-22-2009, 09:46 AM
I was wondering if you guys would care to weigh in your opinions regarding TM Batteries. I'm currently using the Trojan Big Reds SCS225. I've had close to three years of service on this set with moderate usage. I'm a club/weekend angler. I noticed it is taking longer to charge them up after usage and I have to regularly check the fluid level...
How would the Optima Batteries compare? I don't want to spend a lot of $$ for the next set. Any suggestions? :Fishing Hole:

ElementX
05-22-2009, 11:42 AM
If this is just going into a boat with a decent battery box that has adequate ventilation and shade, you don't have an issue with size/space, and you don't need to move it, then the usual deep cycle lead acid batteries will be fine.

3 years with no problems is pretty good in my book.

Gel batteries like the Optima or AGM like the Odyssey both have higher CA's when compared to lead acid batteries by size. They are more shock resistant, but otherwise will not last longer if not properly maintained. The gel and AGM batteries give you a lot more versatility as far as size, mounting position and operating temp. You don't have to worry about spilling acid as they are sealed and can be operated on their sides. They are made out of better materials, but all will last at least 3 years if properly maintained. I've known some people to get 5 yrs out of an optima, but I've had 2 die on me at 2 yrs.

Do you need any of those on a fishing boat? Gel and AGM cost twice as much as lead acid. I prefer the cheaper route for a battery that will remain in one spot. If you're going to be moving it around often, riding the big waves, or putting it in a rock crawler, then go with with the better stuff.

Fisharrow
05-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the input ElementX. Yeah, 3yrs. battery service and still putting out is good. I can't say I've ever had a problem with these batteries. I still have some time to make a decision.