PDA

View Full Version : Dick's sporting goods

ANGLER-IN-TRAINING
05-22-2009, 08:13 AM
Big let down at Dick's!!!
I was waiting for them to open in SOCAL and, fnally, went over there. Apparently, they're not stocking their fishing department in SOCAL. This place would compete with Bass Pro shops on the selection they have at other stores throughout the country.
I'm getting tried of onlne purchasing at great stores like Dick's and Cabelas. Bass Pro Shops is nice but, sometimes can be pricey, whereas, Cabelas has good prices.

Just wanted another place to go besides Bass Pro shops. I guess, I'll have to wait for the on again off again Cabelas store in Santa Clarita!!!

Thanks for reading

A-I-T

ElementX
05-22-2009, 08:35 AM
I hear your pain! Whats going on with all the stores in S. CA reducing or removing their fishing stuff altogether?

Target near me got rid of their stuff over 2 yrs ago. The Walmart near me went from 4 aisles to 2. Sports Authority went from like 6 aisles to 2. I order most things online when I can because

1) its much cheaper
2) selection

I almost never see 2 lb line on the shelves at any chain store.

DEADROOTS
05-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Cablas will never open up in Santa Clarita. I cant find any proof only hear say from people.

jvcomet
05-22-2009, 09:37 AM
try sav-on tackle in santa fe springs. only place I can find 2lb or 4lb that isn't in a box and will fill more than one spool.

FISH_HUNTER
05-22-2009, 09:38 AM
Why not goto a "local" tackle shop? I find they have way more info and better selection, they might cost a little more but I personally think it's worth it. :My Two Cents:

matt duarte
05-22-2009, 11:05 AM
i think the funny this is dicks sporting goods used to be chicks sporting goods hahahahha

ANGLER-IN-TRAINING
05-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks for all your reply's-

I'll try sav-on tackle

I've been going to B & F tackle in Ontario but, for maintenance, line, and information. Their good people.

It's still good to go on Cabelas and see what's in the Bargain Cave

tacklejunkie
05-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Have you tried tacklewarehouse (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu7yy8xZKhMUA.HJXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTBybnZlZnR lBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkAw--/SIG=11jhvv2qu/EXP=1243104562/**http%3a//www.tacklewarehouse.com/)?
I get stuff from them in like 48 hours sometimes.. and the shipping is free over $50!

pasadenafishin
05-22-2009, 02:05 PM
chicks to dicks hahaha love it

Fisherman57
05-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Cablas will never open up in Santa Clarita. I cant find any proof only hear say from people.

Here's a little more info on that subject......

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=33597

cat_fishes1
05-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Yes, I'm extemely disappointed in their lack of fishing tackle and supplies, but I'm very close to a Sport Chalet and I find them still extremely well stocked and I go to the independent tackle stores as well. I love Cabelas and if they ever opened up in Santa Clarita, I would be one of the first in line on opening day. I do shop online with them currently.

What I thought was really strange was that in their ad that came in Sunday's paper there is an old black and white photo with two guys that looked like they were primarily operating a fishing store. How's that for misleading???????????

JediMindTricks
05-22-2009, 04:21 PM
i was also extremely dissapointed in DICKS. I stopped in there yesterday and talked to the guy. they WILL be stocking a fish department, just taking awhile i guess.

i would recommend going to ANGLERS MARINE. There right around the corner from DICKS. exit TUSTIN......

Anglers Marine is bad ***. You can buy everything there. Jig Skirts for 75 cents! You can buy single blades for spinner bait! Single plastic WORMS! They have everything.

While some might say basspro is better, i say Anglers Marine is better.
There all about Bass.

lalo56
05-22-2009, 04:30 PM
I would love Cabelas locally. I do most of my online shopping through them. Love their service, prices and shipping.

old pudd fisher
05-22-2009, 10:24 PM

It used to be chicks but I guess men own it now?:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

AnglerBob
05-22-2009, 11:15 PM
Interesting article on Cabela's, which confirms much of what I've read about their notorious tax-evasion tactics. I love the store's merchandise and would be happy to see one in Santa Clarita, but find it hard to see how a 30 acre big-box store that hard-bargains competitive bids for tax reductions until they are operating at "partial tax-free status," as they apparently do in Texas, will greatly benefit that community.

It IS weird how so many local sporting goods stores are cutting down/discontinuing their fishing selections. I think in the case of the big chains, it probably required more local knowledge than they cared to invest in. I mean, a basketball is a basketball, but good luck selling lures designed for the Great Lakes here.

BingJr
05-23-2009, 07:41 AM
Anyone been to the Dicks in Pasadena or West Covina? I have not, but it bums me out they aren't going to look like the one in Texas. Man what a selection. Believe it or not, I find the Sport Chalet in the Arcadia Mall has a very very good fishing selection, especially for a chain store, but lets face it for most of us, online will still dominate as we all have required and specific needs and opinions on what Tackle we will buy.

Granny Fish
05-23-2009, 08:17 AM
i think the funny this is dicks sporting goods used to be chicks sporting goods hahahahha

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. :ROFL:

smokinflies
05-23-2009, 10:17 AM
i was also extremely dissapointed in DICKS. I stopped in there yesterday and talked to the guy. they WILL be stocking a fish department, just taking awhile i guess.

i would recommend going to ANGLERS MARINE. There right around the corner from DICKS. exit TUSTIN......

Anglers Marine is bad ***. You can buy everything there. Jig Skirts for 75 cents! You can buy single blades for spinner bait! Single plastic WORMS! They have everything.

While some might say basspro is better, i say Anglers Marine is better.
There all about Bass.

there's more to check out at BPS, and don't forget the 30-40% discount for employees.

The Angler
05-23-2009, 11:38 AM
there's more to check out at BPS, and don't forget the 30-40% discount for employees.

WOW BPS employers get that big of a discount ? I needs to go get a part time job there now :ROFL:

WARRIORMIKE
05-23-2009, 07:51 PM

Actually its 15-40% discount to be more accurate. Shimano, Diawa's and all other off brands are going to be your 15% off . While all the BPS,Red heads and WhiteRiver stuff is 40%

Liteweight
05-25-2009, 03:55 AM
That's interesting. There is a Dick's getting ready to open in Santa Clarita right across from the new Wal-mart in Canyon Country. I was so waiting for them to open so I could check out their fishing dept.
If there is any change I'll post as soon as they open.
Thanks for posting.
R.

DEADROOTS
05-25-2009, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the insight Dana!:Beer Toast: I never saw that. I hope it makes it's way here! They have better quality equipment compared to BPS stuff.

WormFisher
05-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Not a single hook or piece of fishing tackle at the Dicks in West Covina. Actually the prices on the rest of their stuff is no bargain.

I guess Turners in Covina is safe for now.

boxl0bster
05-27-2009, 12:02 AM
Anyone been to the Dicks in Pasadena or West Covina? I have not, but it bums me out they aren't going to look like the one in Texas. Man what a selection. Believe it or not, I find the Sport Chalet in the Arcadia Mall has a very very good fishing selection, especially for a chain store, but lets face it for most of us, online will still dominate as we all have required and specific needs and opinions on what Tackle we will buy.

yeah i went scott, it sucks! they have no fishing tackle at all. such a major let down. save your gas and just go to sports chalet at the mall.

Troutslayer620
05-27-2009, 12:25 AM

Yeah they went from Chick's to Dick's, I wonder who was the marketing genius behind that name change! LOL!:ROFL: