PDA

View Full Version : I guess i should share my exp...

lalo56
05-21-2009, 11:09 PM
I was not going to post but i guess i should. 2 weeks ago my girlfriend and I went on the pursuit. Both her and I were nervous since i had no idea what was going on. First of all, i asked if it was assigned spots they said yes. So i asked... Where are we? showed my ticket, they said some where over there. Okay now im confused. So i said f this. We were just at the back by the stern. When getting to our spot we got kicked out. I didnt want to be rude so we just took a spot where people werent. I then figured where we should have been, but i didnt want to kick them out because i was boiling at that time and it would have not been nice. So overall i just got 1 perch and my gf got hooked to the anchor rope. I give the crew a minus.

I also asked help for setting up our rigs. they said yes they would help. Captain john? said thats what they are there for. But they never did help us. I waS just sooo frustrated.

hakaveli
05-21-2009, 11:14 PM
I was not going to post but i guess i should. 2 weeks ago my girlfriend and I went on the pursuit. Both her and I were nervous since i had no idea what was going on. First of all, i asked if it was assigned spots they said yes. So i asked... Where are we? showed my ticket, they said some where over there. Okay now im confused. So i said f this. We were just at the back by the stern. When getting to our spot we got kicked out. I didnt want to be rude so we just took a spot where people werent. I then figured where we should have been, but i didnt want to kick them out because i was boiling at that time and it would have not been nice. So overall i just got 1 perch and my gf got hooked to the anchor rope. I give the crew a minus.

I also asked help for setting up our rigs. they said yes they would help. Captain john? said thats what they are there for. But they never did help us. I waS just sooo frustrated.

U got to be aggressive on boats like that . Be a bull.

lalo56
05-21-2009, 11:17 PM
What boat welcomes newbies and helps them? SPITFIRE was great for me. They set me up from rigging and u call it they did it. MY RANT IS OVER

lalo56
05-21-2009, 11:18 PM

Yah i know but when i become a bull i get into fights.

victor101
05-21-2009, 11:20 PM
Dam...too bad about your bad experience...How many people were on the boat? The Pursuit has a reputation for big crowds but also good fish counts in the summer. I personally would rather jump on a Overnighter and not deal with 70 people on the boat.

ghetto dad
05-21-2009, 11:21 PM

Ill let you have a free pass on that one homie......:LOL:

GD

Ricky-Ray
05-21-2009, 11:22 PM
Sorry to hear about your experience. Try the Freelance outta Davey's Locker in Newport Beach. Great captain and crew. They tend to cater to alot of private charters for beginners and on open party trips have new anglers and tourist so they are always on the ball when it comes to helping out new people.

hakaveli
05-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Ill let you have a free pass on that one homie......:LOL:

GD

lol i know what u thinking haha shhhh

lalo56
05-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Dam...too bad about your bad experience...How many people were on the boat? The Pursuit has a reputation for big crowds but also good fish counts in the summer. I personally would rather jump on a Overnighter and not deal with 70 people on the boat.

48 or 50 i think... but bad experience...

lalo56
05-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Sorry to hear about your experience. Try the Freelance outta Davey's Locker in Newport Beach. Great captain and crew. They tend to cater to alot of private charters for beginners and on open party trips have new anglers and tourist so they are always on the ball when it comes to helping out new people.

Thanks. When i was younger i would go off the spitfire and they would rig me up and i caught so many fish and i rented my gear. Now i have so many gear and i didnt catch but a perch lol. SO SAD. So im looking for a new boat, or landing, maybe i will try LB on GD's ground.

lalo56
05-21-2009, 11:30 PM
There is family in San Diego wanting to go from there and we will in the summer but right now i just want a good local boat.

victor101
05-22-2009, 12:04 AM
my list of go to boats:

1/2 day- New Del Mar out of Marina Del Rey Sportfishing. They have big crowds on weekends but they work hard and are newb friendly. If u have a weekday off i would suggest giving them a try.

3/4 day- Spitfire out of Marina Del Rey Sportfishing. Not the same legendary crew but Craig(old Spitfire captain) and Jeremy will get you on fish. I dont think they will be making many Catalina runs this summer but it will be a nice alternative. Lighter loads and only 15 mins away from my house.

overnighter- Freedom out of 22nd street. Great captain and great crew! Ive also been wanting to try the El Dorado out of Long Beach Sportfishing. Ive heard lots of good things about captain Eddie Moreno and his crew.

lalo56
05-22-2009, 12:13 AM
my list of go to boats:

1/2 day- New Del Mar out of Marina Del Rey Sportfishing. They have big crowds on weekends but they work hard and are newb friendly. If u have a weekday off i would suggest giving them a try.

3/4 day- Spitfire out of Marina Del Rey Sportfishing. Not the same legendary crew but Craig(old Spitfire captain) and Jeremy will get you on fish. I dont think they will be making many Catalina runs this summer but it will be a nice alternative. Lighter loads and only 15 mins away from my house.

overnighter- Freedom out of 22nd street. Great captain and great crew! Ive also been wanting to try the El Dorado out of Long Beach Sportfishing. Ive heard lots of good things about captain Eddie Moreno and his crew.

Cool. I may give them all a try this summer. Decide which i like most.

sansou
05-22-2009, 12:56 AM
Lalo56,

That's a bummer, especially since you were with your girlfriend and just trying to have a pleasant outing.

I just don't understand the whole "assigned spot" thing that goes on in LA.

Hopefully your next trip will be better!

lalo56
05-22-2009, 01:02 AM
Lalo56,

That's a bummer, especially since you were with your girlfriend and just trying to have a pleasant outing.

I just don't understand the whole "assigned spot" thing that goes on in LA.

Hopefully your next trip will be better!

Yes my girl was bummed so was I! There was 47 people on the boat we got kicked out of the spot we stayed on then we didnt want to kick the guys on our spot because i didnt want an altercation. So we just dealt with it. Thank you though but i will never be on that boat. The crew sucks.

lalo56
05-22-2009, 01:06 AM
Hopefully our next outting is better if not our hopes will be shattered.All we caught was sun burn. Thats sad i feel unmotivated

lalo56
05-22-2009, 01:07 AM
Only thing i caught was a 12inch trout in 3 years. I been buying my brother and gf and everyone their fishing license

SUCKS!!!

deanhall32
05-22-2009, 07:12 AM
I experienced the same thing the one and only time I will ever go on the Pursuit.

It's the good ole boys mentality who think that fishing Catalina puts them in the upper echilon of fishermen. It got to the point where guys were cussing at each other, bullying each other around, that made me and a few other guys quit fishing that day. We just sat down and drank a few beers and watched the comedy scene happen. The captain flirted with the girl who was helping on the deck and forgot about his fishermen. Swore I would never go on that boat and I still haven't.

Come on down to San Diego and be treated like fishermen should be treated!!

ghetto dad
05-22-2009, 08:18 AM
I experienced the same thing the one and only time I will ever go on the Pursuit.

It's the good ole boys mentality who think that fishing Catalina puts them in the upper echilon of fishermen. It got to the point where guys were cussing at each other, bullying each other around, that made me and a few other guys quit fishing that day. We just sat down and drank a few beers and watched the comedy scene happen. The captain flirted with the girl who was helping on the deck and forgot about his fishermen. Swore I would never go on that boat and I still haven't.

Come on down to San Diego and be treated like fishermen should be treated!!

Coach said echilon...wow.....:ROFL:WAY to much of a big word for me.....

There are plenty of boats up here that treat their customers great....not as many as their should be, but there are some left.....

GD

olfishergal
05-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Not advertising for anybody, but my best experiences have been on the ICON. Capt Shawn Morgan and his crew treat you like you are royal. I never had to ask for help, that crew was/is top notch. As for assigned spots, I will just push my way in if that is what I paid for. Let the crew solve the mystery. I have been wanting to try the Eldorado and will in the next couple of weeks. I have heard they have a top notch crew too. There are some great boats up in Ventura area too. Feel free to PM me and I will give you the low down........OFG

JapanRon
05-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Hi lalo56,

Sorry to hear of your experience. It only reminds us that one choses the crew first, the area regularly fished second, and the boat third in priorities. Gotta find your home boat with at least 2 of the 3 with 3 or 4 (out of 5) stars. With that in mind, I don't bad-mouth entire operations as a rule. However ...... however after hearing time and time again of certain 'operations' lack of consideration of 'ANYTHING' but putting people on the boat with the lure of good counts ..... which seem to be generated by a rather rough crowd and I mean sanctioned 'crowd' of guys that will work in concert to crowd others out ... sometimes even their own !! Pretty scarry .... for me too as I don't back down but will cast inches right across their faces to maintain 'my' yes, MY spot which I paid for specifically to avoid problems with bullys.

Although a rethorical question by one of our most esteemed contributor/posters' ... sansou, the reason for numbers is to eliminate some bully that's a trash talking, threatening, constantly mugging, 6ft, 399 pound piece of garbage, who looks and behaves as if they very well might have a minimum of five outstanding warrents out on them, used to getting their way no matter what.... to simply take the position on the boat they want !! Numbers give people a rock-solid claim where otherwise they are being treated like ..... well ..... YOU w/gf in tow !! They usually prey on those they think the easiest to bluff. When the crew does nothing .... they are no better !!

No numbers ..... I'm not on that boat .... although I know I'm missing some great rides .... it's just not worth the aggravation.

Catalina is tough in the first place as normally THE place to be is on the stern or at least nearby ....... unless you're there to chunk iron all day ..... like ghetto dad ! ha ha ha This makes the spots on the stern even more critical for success and heh heh heh the JP.... which some semi-deadheads think it is their god-given right to have the best shot at winning !!

As said ..... lots of good boats .......... depend on GD's attention to detail and heart to treat you right from ....... putting a foot in the LBSF office till you're heading home !! Catching well ... As said, previous Spitfire crew also had a good reputation They are still at Redondo I believe.

Lots of good boats. Sometimes it pays to go to the landing early and smooze a bit with those who are going out. Often there's folks for both the 1/2 and 3/4-day boat waiting to board. Once you find a decent crew and boat 'that matches your disposition' ...... patronize it big-time.

PS Don't take your family or girlfriend on a trip w/crew-boat you've not been out on in a while !!

PS Did you notice the one aside in my report ? Enough said !! ;)

Was this a rant ...... gee ..... I hope it's not taken that way ! ha ha ha

JapanRon

Ricky-Ray
05-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Here's my list of boat's that I've been on and will continue to go one because they provide great service. Maybe try one of these in the future.

3/4 Day
Coroloma - Ventura Sportfishing
Freelance - Davey's Locker
Patriot - Newport Landing
Tradition - Redondo Sportfishing (I'm hoping, since it will be manned by the old Spitfire crew)

Overnight Boats
Freedom - 22nd. St. Landing
El Dorado - Long Beach Sportfishing
Ultra - 22nd. St. Landing
Outrider - 22nd. St. Landing
Pacific Star - Pierpoint (spring trips only)

Multi Day Trips
Pacific Star - Seaforth
Legend - Seaforth
Ocean Odyssey - H&M Landing
Shogun - Fisherman's Landing
Islander - Fisherman's Landing
Black Pearl - Point Loma

Liteliner
05-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Not trying to defend that boat or anything since I aint never been on there BUT.........

I've seen quite a few passengers who expect way to much. Theres like two deckhands to help 50 heads. Im sure they will try their best to help but if the fish are biting and they are busy gaffin and chummin and you go ask them to tie your hook on your probably not going to get the VIP treatment. You might wanna learn to get used to tying your own rigs and stuff so you dont have to wait for the deckies all the time. I learned the basics of a cattle boat on my first trip. Its not that hard...

The numbers game you just got to be aggressive. I got punked once on the spitfire by a chick. She squeezed me right out of my spot. She was a cutie though... so I let it slide...

cappo
05-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Not trying to defend that boat or anything since I aint never been on there BUT.........

I've seen quite a few passengers who expect way to much. Theres like two deckhands to help 50 heads. Im sure they will try their best to help but if the fish are biting and they are busy gaffin and chummin and you go ask them to tie your hook on your probably not going to get the VIP treatment. You might wanna learn to get used to tying your own rigs and stuff so you dont have to wait for the deckies all the time. I learned the basics of a cattle boat on my first trip. Its not that hard...

The numbers game you just got to be aggressive. I got punked once on the spitfire by a chick. She squeezed me right out of my spot. She was a cutie though... so I let it slide...

Well said Peter. Man up and stop whining. Maybe if you slipped them a $20 before hand, they would've catered to you. :Rolls Eyes:

As for the chick punkin you, that was yimmy, GD's gf.

troutdog
05-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Went on that boat once, I think it was back in 2003 and I prolly won't ever be back again...crowded and crew was not very friendly, too many other options to consider giving them a 2nd chance.

I don't know if it is the same skipper that ran the boat in 2004, but the Pursuit was involved in a sea lion shooting incident and got busted for it...
http://tru2009.blogspot.com/2009/04/carmen-nuch-trutanich-defended-sea-lion.html

To me that is just bad karma and reason enough for me to never step foot on that boat ever again....enough said.

TD

russ88
05-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad experience.... I always have a great time fishing the Pursuit. Captn and Crew are top notch. The boat can get crowded at times but that's small trade off for a boat that fishes really hard. We were on overtime mode last time i was out on that boat. Crew was already cleaning fish and on our way back. Captain still chased the big bonies and put us on fish. He said we're fishing till we're out of bait!!!

rocknreel20
05-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Open Party boats are always a crapshoot. Try and go on a chartered boat. That way you have time to prepare and study up on how to help yoursleves rig.
I have been a camera operator for Dan hernandez trips in the past and we always offer help to newbies and anyone that asks or looks to be in need. That way the crew is taking care of tangles, handling fish, and chumming. Charter groups are always more docile, many of the group know each other and their seems to be more comraderie.
There are many groups that offer charters, from local, to offshore, just do some poking around.
Good Luck
Buena Suerte,
Camera Bob

jim532
05-22-2009, 02:20 PM
I haven't fished salt in almost 10 years, but I used like going out on the Speed Twin up in Ventura, No assigned spots, and the weekday twilight trips were great because sometimes there were only a handfull of people.
I don't know if that boat still runs anymore.

lalo56
05-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Went on that boat once, I think it was back in 2003 and I prolly won't ever be back again...crowded and crew was not very friendly, too many other options to consider giving them a 2nd chance.

I don't know if it is the same skipper that ran the boat in 2004, but the Pursuit was involved in a sea lion shooting incident and got busted for it...
http://tru2009.blogspot.com/2009/04/carmen-nuch-trutanich-defended-sea-lion.html

To me that is just bad karma and reason enough for me to never step foot on that boat ever again....enough said.

TD

Yeah he lost his license for a year i think? Reason i know is because someone on the boat told me when we saw a dead sea lion floating around.

EastCoaster
05-22-2009, 02:32 PM
I feel your pain. I will not say the boat name but it was in Newport, it was my father in laws and I first saltwater outting and it was Rockfish opener this year. 48 people on the boat, and we started near the back put the regulars kinda pushed and shoved us outta the way. There was anonther gentleman with his young son also being pushed aside. I caught the 1st fish of the boat, and it ended up tangled with a regular, and as I brought it up he started complaining about how I didnt have enough weight and all I could say was the deckhand did it talk to him, so the deckhand put more weight on, but all day i seemed tangled with a regular. Finally he shoved me as he walked by and told me to move cuz if I tangled his line again, someone was going overboard. My bro in law had to hold me back, cuz it started from there. I was like buddy if you feel lucky enough to do that go fo it. I did 8 years as a Force Recon Marine and I went to Navy Seals Scuba School. If I go in the water, so do you, and I can promise I can hold my breathe alot longer... LoL.. He got red and walked away. The capt at the end of the trip told everyone to bring there lines in, but as he started to move he told a guy to drop his line he saw fish, but no one else could. He ended up pulling the big fish of the day... I WILL NEVER GO THERE AGAIN!!!

lalo56
05-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Thank you all for your replies, even you cappo. I was forced to tie the rigs i knew how and not what was working. I got home and learned the dropper loop and end loop since i thought those were needed to add to the knots i knew.

EastCoaster
05-22-2009, 02:43 PM
If you ever get to go out of SD try Point Loma Sportfishing, and try the Mission Belle. I have been on 2 trips with them and actually going on my 3rd tmrw and they were great. Also Seaforth Landing is also very good

smitty99
05-22-2009, 03:49 PM
If you ever get to go out of SD try Point Loma Sportfishing, and try the Mission Belle. I have been on 2 trips with them and actually going on my 3rd tmrw and they were great. Also Seaforth Landing is also very good

Toronado out of PierPoint Landing has been good to me.

lalo56
05-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Yeah, my brother and I are planning on heading to SD and try the fishing off there.

lalo56
05-22-2009, 04:07 PM
lol i know what u thinking haha shhhh

Would you like to share on that one? You got my curiosity going.

BabyKiller
05-22-2009, 05:48 PM

TD
this whole thread is bishi. everyone who has fished that boat knows whats up. Look at the reports from pokerface and fish bandit they have caught yellows and jackpots on a 60 dollar full day. Come the f on,,,,,, MAN UP!:Evil:

as for sharing a once off experience from years ago, and trashing a captain who paid his debt to society; you are wrong. he paid in time for that. and the community should let it go.

lalo56
05-22-2009, 05:59 PM
this whole thread is bishi. everyone who has fished that boat knows whats up. Look at the reports from pokerface and fish bandit they have caught yellows and jackpots on a 60 dollar full day. Come the f on,,,,,, MAN UP!:Evil:

as for sharing a once off experience from years ago, and trashing a captain who paid his debt to society; you are wrong. he paid in time for that. and the community should let it go.

I just shared my experience on the boat from a novice angler. Like it or not, that was my experience. Not bashing them, just simply stated that i will no longer get on that boat due to it.

Im sure you can understand that. If you have a bad experience, lets say in a restaurant where the food tasted bad, waiter/waitress didnt come fill your drinks, would you go back again? If you do then... Thats all i have to say about that.

FISHINGBEE
05-22-2009, 06:02 PM

I also asked help for setting up our rigs. they said yes they would help. Captain john? said thats what they are there for. But they never did help us. I waS just sooo frustrated. The Pursuit use to be an excellent boat in the 80s. Thats when she was at Islandia sportfishing in Sd Mission Bay. Any time there is 50 or 60 anglers on the boat its gonna be cluster of mess. When this happens try to find an experienced fisherman who is nice and he will help you. It is hard to find crew that is as experienced as San Diego fleet.

FISHINGBEE

FISHINGBEE
05-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Here's my list of boat's that I've been on and will continue to go one because they provide great service. Maybe try one of these in the future.

3/4 Day
Coroloma - Ventura Sportfishing
Freelance - Davey's Locker
Patriot - Newport Landing
Tradition - Redondo Sportfishing (I'm hoping, since it will be manned by the old Spitfire crew)

Overnight Boats
Pacific Star - Pierpoint (spring trips only)

Multi Day Trips
Pacific Star - Seaforth
Legend - Seaforth
Ocean Odyssey - H&M Landing
Shogun - Fisherman's Landing
Islander - Fisherman's Landing
Black Pearl - Point Loma Ray is right here is a list of boats to stay away from.

Morning Star
Chabasco
Chereeke geisha
Electra
Sport king cont later

cappo
05-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Morning Star

Isn't that a Christian boat? They dont allow alcohol and no cussing LOL

NoHo ART
05-22-2009, 08:26 PM
since we are talking about boats ... how is the BIG GAME 90?
im about to put a deposit for a 2.5 day trip going out on AUG 16th - 19th
can't beat the price $699 buy1 get 1 free. well its really $949 that's including food and mexican permits.

troutdog
05-22-2009, 08:54 PM

Sooo is every other thread on FNN you disagree with also bishi? I really don't see your logic...if I had a negative experience and Lalo was inclined to start a thread about it, how do you figure "everyone" that fishes the boat knows whats up? I am stoked for both Pokerface, Fish Bandit and hopefully you too for their success, but what does catching jp yellows have to do with this thread? To top it off I need to "MAN UP"? Where I come from "Man up" means to state your position and stand behind it.

As far as sharing my experience, regardless of how long ago it was, imo that is what a fishing forum is for...whether its positive or negative as long as you are not lying about it. Don't you agree? Sorry if that does not sit well with you, but we are all entitled to our opinion so respect that.

I think you are taking it a little far in saying I am "trashing" the captain, if you read my post it clearly states I was unsure if it was the same guy or not, but merely stating the facts. By your reaction I assume it is the same guy. In fact with a screen name like yours I am starting to think YOU are the Capt! :Wink:

TD

cappo
05-22-2009, 09:09 PM
can't beat the price $699 buy1 get 1 free. well its really $949 that's including food and mexican permits.

thats another boat i would stay away from, heard nothing but horror stories about it. They notorius for packing them in with the buy one get one free. Nothing like an albacore bite going over under 50 different lines.

pokerface12
05-22-2009, 09:16 PM
I just shared my experience on the boat from a novice angler. Like it or not, that was my experience. Not bashing them, just simply stated that i will no longer get on that boat due to it.

Im sure you can understand that. If you have a bad experience, lets say in a restaurant where the food tasted bad, waiter/waitress didnt come fill your drinks, would you go back again? If you do then... Thats all i have to say about that.

For a guy with 500 plus post and maybe one report, I don't know where to begin. First off, I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience while fishing on the Pursuit. Southern California provides us with many options when it comes to the party boat scene. If you don't like one boat, try another one out. Do this until you find one the suits your expectation. As for me I already found one. The crew aboard the Pursuit has always been helpful and professional. The captain works extreme hard to put us on fish. These are the reasons why I been such a loyal customer for almost 10 years. This boats crowded for a reason, could it be for the bad customer service? I'll you guys decide. I was little upset that lalo95 was bashing the Pursuit, but I can see the brighter side of this. More rail space for me.:LOL::LOL:

victor101
05-22-2009, 09:40 PM
For a guy with 500 plus post and maybe one report, I don't know where to begin. First off, I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience while fishing on the Pursuit. Southern California provides us with many options when it comes to the party boat scene. If you don't like one boat, try another one out. Do this until you find one the suits your expectation. As for me I already found one. The crew aboard the Pursuit has always been helpful and professional. The captain works extreme hard to put us on fish. These are the reasons why I been such a loyal customer for almost 10 years. This boats crowded for a reason, could it be for the bad customer service? I'll you guys decide. I was little upset that lalo95 was bashing the Pursuit, but I can see the brighter side of this. More rail space for me.:LOL::LOL:

I agree with one thing you said...The Pursuit puts you on fish! lalo isnt bashing the Pursuit, just simply sharing his experience on that boat. Like you said...youve been fishing it for 10 years...Is it possible that the crew treats regulars different than what they would treat a newb? Ive been on the Pursuit a couple times and i would have to agree that its not "newb friendly". However, I would be willing to fish it again...on a weekday trip of course. :Cool:

BIGRED KILLA
05-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the post i had a few bad times on party boats lets just say some people go a little to crazy when pitching a Iron and don't like to look back or say a word when tossing. They are a lot of fun tho esp when you know the people who will join you out there. learn the basic info have a GAME PLAN and see whats on the chew and what is the best way to stick the fish. If you need help with any info make a post. Don't listen to some of these people they act like Tom-cod. lol j.k

Bigred

fishon714
05-22-2009, 11:34 PM
These are the reasons why I been such a loyal customer for almost 10 years. This boats crowded for a reason, could it be for the bad customer service? I'll you guys decide. I was little upset that lalo95 was bashing the Pursuit, but I can see the brighter side of this. More rail space for me.:LOL::LOL:

I've been on the Pursuit a few times. Crew was good. The crowds were "territorial". They were glued to their spots, even if the boat was drifting sideways, that's a different story. That boat is pretty fast. I believe that boat does alot of PR with the local kids fishing program...correct me if I'm mistaken.

fishon714

FISHINGBEE
05-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Isn't that a Christian boat? They dont allow alcohol and no cussing LOL This boat freakn sucks. I was so excited a paid for a 1 1/2 day ultra light load. Im getting on the boat and 5 dudes with coolers are boreding . They stuck there coolers down below in the empty bunks since only 11 anglers were allowed. I woke up early in the morning to find the same five dudes trolling rock cod gangions with a hopkins spoon or something. The spooons would catch about two foot air then back again. No sign of a deckhand. Would you believe they did not get up till 9 Am. We trolled all day stopping at a few paddies to catch 4 lb yellowtails. I kept none of them but the rest of the passengers were filling there bag. Not to mention theses guys had massive food on board and brewskis. I watched the one idiot fish the wrong side of the boat. He hooked his buddies line and the fight was on. They kept pulling against each other while the capt assumed we were on some fish. Finally the deckhand figured it out. The whole fleet limited out on yellowfin and a few Albacore lots of yellowtail. This was the year of the dinks and most boats did not even place a count on them. We got two albacore on the troll thats it dinkey yellows. Next day i called placed a complaint. The capt agred with me and offered me another trip at half price. I told him it was not good enough i wanted a free trip. I monitored his counts for a few weeks all bad. I gave up never went back so my opinion the boat sucks. Morningstar sorry but you blew it big time.

FISHINGBEE

FISHINGBEE
05-23-2009, 10:28 AM
thats another boat i would stay away from, heard nothing but horror stories about it. They notorius for packing them in with the buy one get one free. Nothing like an albacore bite going over under 50 different lines. Think that bad when the yellowfin were a mile or two of the beach i was on the Dolphin with 72 anglers we landed 11 troll only.

FISHINGBEE

troutdog
05-23-2009, 10:34 AM

Bing books a trip on the Big Game90 each year, hit him with a PM if he misses your thread. I've never been, but the price sounds right for sure!

TD

BIGRED KILLA
05-23-2009, 11:01 AM

I fished that boat a few times on over nighters down to SQ good capt he will always try to put you on yellows before rockfish good deckhands on that boat too. The second time i went on it are bunks had 3 inches of water on the floor at one point some kind of pipe broke it sucked cause you could not leave your stuff on the ground.

Bigred

trlrtrsh67
05-23-2009, 08:59 PM

I did the first trip outta Long Beach in the begining of April this year, 1/2 price special. I had no complaints about the boat or crew, food was good IMO, that trip had 29 guys if I remember correctley.

Only prob I had was with one guy that decided to set his hook like he was largemouth bass fishin as I'm going over him hooked up and he slams my new cal-star! We swapped some choice words, he missed his largemouth, and my rod was okay!

I've only been out with them once but I'm booked again with them for a November trip based on my experience. 2 of my co-workers are on a 2 dayer a week or so before your tip.

NoHo ART
05-23-2009, 10:01 PM
cool thanks for the info guys
i guess im going to send my deposit on monday.
i mean whats the worst that can happen? except having idiots on board or not being able to find the fish or the boat sinking or bad whether or ....:ROFL:
got to experience the bad to appreciate the good :Secret:

would be nice to have some more fnn's on that trip

:Idea: arron how about you and omar and scott hop on this trip too?
i know omar wants to get on a tuna bite this year

FISHINGBEE
05-23-2009, 10:13 PM
cool thanks for the info guys
i guess im going to send my deposit on monday.
I mean whats the worst that can happen? Except having idiots on board or not being able to find the fish or the boat sinking or bad whether or ....:rofl:
Got to experience the bad to appreciate the good :secret:

Would be nice to have some more fnn's on that trip

:idea: Arron how about you and omar and scott hop on this trip too?
I know omar wants to get on a tuna bite this year no bananas

Ricky-Ray
05-23-2009, 11:22 PM

I did one of their 2.5 day trips a few years back. Trip was suppose to be limited to 32 or 33 people and we wound up with 40 on the trip. WTF.... When I questioned it at the time the guy collecting the money and checking us in his response was tough...if you don't like it get off. Since they were not going to give my money back, I did the trip and then swore to never get on it again. I can understand overbook by 1 but overbook by 7, that's ridiculous.

Oh and personally I think the prices of their drinks are kindda expensive. 2.50 for a soda.

I've had other friends that have been on that boat and have had good success with it but for me that was my first and last time on the boat.

troutdog
05-24-2009, 09:04 PM
:Idea: arron how about you and omar and scott hop on this trip too?
i know omar wants to get on a tuna bite this year

I was looking at the dates your going and weekdays fishing are probably going to be few and far between for a few months having started a new job....I will be doing a tuna trip this year though, but it will most likely be on a weekend limited load trip.

Thread jack over :LOL:

TD

tbone
05-24-2009, 10:35 PM
Try either Point Loma sport fishing out of San Diego or H&M.

I just got back from a 3/4 trip out of Point Loma. Let me tell you those guys took care of everybody with no hesitations. There was a group of 11 newbies onboard and one of them had a disable kid that was not catching anything. The deckhands were hooking fish for him and calling him over to reel them in and they were congratulating him on job well done. This just made the parents day. And the captain made sure they setup everybody's fishing pole with the proper rig. Most boats would tell you if you did not rent gear to hand them your weights and hooks. Not this crew they took care of everybody without asking them for there hooks and weights. There is no assigned spots. After fishing out Seaforth and Point Loma this year I do not mind the 90 minute drive from Orange County down to San Diego. The people there seem to take care of you. Let's face it times are tough for everybody and if one day they can take there customers minds off there problems then they know they will come back. You may want to look into trying one of these boats.

Tail Chaser
05-25-2009, 04:12 PM
These boats are a business.
Seems customer service would be right up there next to catching fish. :My Two Cents:

dockboy
06-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Indeed these boats are a business. Customer service SHOULD come first. But it doesn't always, there is never a guarantee. But there is a fine line between filing a complain about a crew/ certain passengers and boat bashing an entire operation, as many members on this thread seem quite content to bash a captain and rig. IMO, there are certain boats that have gained bad reputations but in the end it is what you make of it all. If you are determined to have a bad time from the start with your attitude, you will probably have a bad trip. Sometimes there is not way around the fact the crew or even the captain is doing their job, but its a good idea to think twice and look at the background to an issue before pointing fingers.
That being said......1/2-1 day boats are not your shining examples of customer service in the SoCal sportfishery, IMO. The longer the trip, the better the service. Its a simple equation, there are always exceptions, but as you get what you pay for. The 3 day and longer boat deckhands in the SD fishery are among the best in the world, both in experience and professionality. And remember, boats don't keep their business going on bad customer service. If you have an issue, talk with the captain or the landing. Taking the time to file a complaint or speak with the right people could mean a lot for future passengers and fellow anglers.

BOIL909
06-03-2009, 03:43 PM
yah those deck hands are lint lickers. they cant tie a knot for ****. i never tip them

BassWhisperer
06-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Its a tough business. Some anglers are just too spoiled. They want the deckhands to do everything for them. Sometimes even catch the fish for them. They are also the same people that will never tip!!!. I just stick to my favorite sportboats. Lets face it the regulars get treated better than the newbies/unfamiliar face. They should be treated better since they always patronize the boat. I've been on so many different boats where the Jackpot is also compromised. Almost all the time the deckhands are involved. Why because they want the JP money!! I don't play JP when i'm not a regular on that particular sportboat. Too many people trying to cheat on the JP.

Tail Chaser
06-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Indeed these boats are a business. Customer service SHOULD come first. But it doesn't always, there is never a guarantee. But there is a fine line between filing a complain about a crew/ certain passengers and boat bashing an entire operation, as many members on this thread seem quite content to bash a captain and rig. IMO, there are certain boats that have gained bad reputations but in the end it is what you make of it all. If you are determined to have a bad time from the start with your attitude, you will probably have a bad trip. Sometimes there is not way around the fact the crew or even the captain is doing their job, but its a good idea to think twice and look at the background to an issue before pointing fingers.
That being said......1/2-1 day boats are not your shining examples of customer service in the SoCal sportfishery, IMO. The longer the trip, the better the service. Its a simple equation, there are always exceptions, but as you get what you pay for. The 3 day and longer boat deckhands in the SD fishery are among the best in the world, both in experience and professionality. And remember, boats don't keep their business going on bad customer service. If you have an issue, talk with the captain or the landing. Taking the time to file a complaint or speak with the right people could mean a lot for future passengers and fellow anglers.
Thats pretty much what ive read on FNN. Going out for two or more days. The quality of the trips go way up. Especially out of SD

formosa
06-05-2009, 08:29 PM
I feel your pain. I will not say the boat name but it was in Newport, it was my father in laws and I first saltwater outting and it was Rockfish opener this year. 48 people on the boat, and we started near the back put the regulars kinda pushed and shoved us outta the way. There was anonther gentleman with his young son also being pushed aside. I caught the 1st fish of the boat, and it ended up tangled with a regular, and as I brought it up he started complaining about how I didnt have enough weight and all I could say was the deckhand did it talk to him, so the deckhand put more weight on, but all day i seemed tangled with a regular. Finally he shoved me as he walked by and told me to move cuz if I tangled his line again, someone was going overboard. My bro in law had to hold me back, cuz it started from there. I was like buddy if you feel lucky enough to do that go fo it. I did 8 years as a Force Recon Marine and I went to Navy Seals Scuba School. If I go in the water, so do you, and I can promise I can hold my breathe alot longer... LoL.. He got red and walked away. The capt at the end of the trip told everyone to bring there lines in, but as he started to move he told a guy to drop his line he saw fish, but no one else could. He ended up pulling the big fish of the day... I WILL NEVER GO THERE AGAIN!!!

that why i never fish that Newport boat again, had same experience long time ago, u shall put that redneck swim.
when u fish local 3/4 boat will encounter this alot on some boat if u aren't regular.

Tail Chaser
06-06-2009, 11:38 AM
So I guess the homework would be........
Hi captain and crew, How many trips would I have to make with you guys before you would stop treating a new passenger like cheeeet???
How much extra money would I have to pay ALL of you in advance to make my first trip on your boat a good one?
I figure instead of going out with you guys yea number of times wasting all my money.
I will just pay you upfront now. Then my first trip with you, Should be fun from the get go.

NoHo ART
06-06-2009, 11:52 AM
So I guess the homework would be........
Hi captain and crew, How many trips would I have to make with you guys before you would stop treating a new passenger like cheeeet???
How much extra money would I have to pay ALL of you in advance to make my first trip on your boat a good one?
I figure instead of going out with you guys yea number of times wasting all my money.
I will just pay you upfront now. Then my first trip with you, Should be fun from the get go.

you are on the right track
you want better service you tip
its you first time on the boat and your not getting as much attention as you like you tip up front.
just like when you take your car to the car wash you tip good up front you wont find dirty spots when you get home.

i don't know about you guys but when i go on one of this boats i end up tipping $7-$20 each deck hand and cook depending on the length of the trip
i have not tip'd up front for fishing yet as haven't had the need for.

winningman
06-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Sorry to hear that..^_^

yes they have numbers are sign to there #'s

and to avoid that I get there 4:30 in the morning to get

better spot.

normaly they pre-good on helping new people..

wish you better luck next time...

lalo56
06-07-2009, 06:47 PM
I think i will give them another try. Just learning from my expierences and you cant give up. I, since that experience have learned a bit. I think next time i go out I will be more prepared and know my expectations. I also learned a few knots having seen what is used and what is needed, so all in all not too bad of a trip. Will do better next time I hope.

Thanks
Eddie

Bandwgn09
06-08-2009, 12:52 PM
I didn't read all 7 pages worth of threads, but I didn't read anyone explain how the assigned spots work.
When you purchase your pass they will give you a little card board ticket. On the back of the ticket they write you a number that is in either green, orange, blue/black, or yellow ink (or some color). Then when you get on the boat there are numbers carved into the wood railing that match the number they wrote on your card. If the number colors are worn off the wood, ask the deckhand "where does blue number 2 go?" And that is YOUR spot. If there is someone there already, show them your card, and they got to walk. If it is not crowded someboats are first come first serve. Get their early, get in the front of the line, walk to where you want to go, place your pole in the cut out groove, and that is is YOUR spot. Unless someone shows you their card, then you are the one that has to walk.
Hope this helps a little bit.

Troutman65
06-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Hey Eddie, Thanks for sharing. When I go on a 1/2, 3/4 local I always tip a deck hand a $20.OO bill first off and tell them there is more where that came from if they take care of me. Works for me. I always tip on the boats. I find I get better service. Just from my experiences.:Wink:

fishon714
06-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Hey Eddie, Thanks for sharing. When I go on a 1/2, 3/4 local I always tip a deck hand a $20.OO bill first off and tell them there is more where that came from if they take care of me. Works for me. I always tip on the boats. I find I get better service. Just from my experiences.:Wink:

I don't agree with paying $20 bux up front. That could get costly. Also, there are usually 2 deckhands on the local boats. Who do you pay the $20 to? Also, if you don't tip up front, then do you deserve to gt sub par service? Alot of the local golf courses were doing this about 10 to 15 years ago. This allowed the reservation person or even the starter make more money than the owner of the golf course. Since then, the online reservation system reduced alot of this kind of behavior.

Don't get me wrong. You should definitely tip the deckhands, but some of the money that has been mentioned in these posts (e.g. $7 to 10 bux per deckhand and cook) can put alot of people off the market for trip. This is on top of the fish cleaning "tip" too AND paying the $2 for a candy bar (35 cents at Vons) or $2 for a soda/bottled water. I ran up some taps that were over $60 for 2 people. By the time you're done with the trip, you ended up spending more money on a 3/4 trip than you would on a 2 day trip that includes meals.

fishon714

Troutman65
06-10-2009, 10:15 PM
I don't agree with paying $20 bux up front. That could get costly. Also, there are usually 2 deckhands on the local boats. Who do you pay the $20 to? Also, if you don't tip up front, then do you deserve to gt sub par service? Alot of the local golf courses were doing this about 10 to 15 years ago. This allowed the reservation person or even the starter make more money than the owner of the golf course. Since then, the online reservation system reduced alot of this kind of behavior.

Don't get me wrong. You should definitely tip the deckhands, but some of the money that has been mentioned in these posts (e.g. $7 to 10 bux per deckhand and cook) can put alot of people off the market for trip. This is on top of the fish cleaning "tip" too AND paying the $2 for a candy bar (35 cents at Vons) or $2 for a soda/bottled water. I ran up some taps that were over $60 for 2 people. By the time you're done with the trip, you ended up spending more money on a 3/4 trip than you would on a 2 day trip that includes meals.

fishon714

Ok , lets face it. Ocean Fishing trips are expensive. When every landing raised prices because of the high cost of fuel ( 4 or 5 years ago? ) I stoped going . I go fresh water fishing more now because of the cost . I can do 4 fresh water trips compaired to one Salt water trip. Sorry you don't agree with my tiping . It works for me.

sansou
06-11-2009, 10:38 AM
One wonders if an all-inclusive (meals, sodas/water, filleting & tip) type overnight cattleboat operation would be a viable business plan...

Interesting thread...

No doubt, ocean cattleboating, heck even private boating, is expensive. No new news there.

At the same time, I find that some of the very same people who vehemently complain about the high cost of cattleboating are the same individuals who feel the need to run-up mega beer galley tabs.

Personally, cattleboating is what I do just to get a "fix" or reserved for when the fish is super close. My preference is to spend my money across the border for better quality, far cheaper & more meaningful fishing experience...but I agree Mexico isn't for everyone.

I've never tipped a deckie in advance. It's a matter of principal. I guess if you go out offshore fishing once a year, then maybe it would be warranted if you must absolutely insure and insist on having impeccable service for your special yearly trip. I understand.

I guess the best way to go about hedging your bets about getting the best service is to simply avoid the notoriously sketchy boats....in other words, the boats that scrape by year after year b/c they rely on the big summer money that uninformed anglers, out-of-towners and tourists who don't know any better pay them.

troutdog
06-11-2009, 10:56 AM
I kinda look at tipping the deckies/cook the same way I would a waiter/waitress....if I get good service and am treated that way I believe I should be as a paying patron, then I can determine how much to tip.

Perhaps tipping in advance is a good way to get personalized service, but being a somewhat seasoned angler I really don't need much assistance getting rigged up. When I have needed help in the past I have found a polite request has gotten me great results, its all about treating others the way you want to be treated. Nobody likes a demanding or impatient request regardless of the business you are in. I know deckies can get busy and if I ask for help I don't expect them to drop everything their doing. If I feel that my request may have been forgotten, I give it an ample amount of time and ask a second time....in most instances the response is an apology for the delay and then made to feel like a priority more often than not.

I have had very few negative experiences on sportfishing boats, treat people with respect/understanding and you will usually get the same in return.

On a final note, these guys work very hard so if you have a good experience let them know with a verbal and a monetary compliment....I think we would all appreciate that.

Have fun out there and be safe!

TD

FishBandit
06-11-2009, 09:05 PM
During the season I'd say I fish this boat 4-5 times ... by no means a regular but I do enjoy getting out at 6am sharp and have an almost guaranteed trip to Catalina (unless there are special circumstances where fish are in close be-it barracuda, yellowtail, dorado, etc.). One time we even gunned it all the way to Santa Barbara Is., arrived at 10am, plugged the boat with sea bass (limit for 35+ guys) and gunned it back. Simply put, Capt. John puts anglers on fish ... period. I will continue to support 22nd street and the Pursuit.

theBandit

Troutman65
06-11-2009, 09:14 PM
[quote=sansou;355259]Interesting thread...

At the same time, I find that some of the very same people who vehemently complain about the high cost of cattleboating are the same individuals who feel the need to run-up mega beer galley tabs.

:Rolls Eyes:

:whistle:

:Food:

:Big Smile:

:Dancing Banana:

lalo56
06-11-2009, 09:24 PM
I had 2 beers. One i drank fast then we made a stop bite was hot on bonito. Left it on ground and got spilt lol. I didnt care. I needed to concentrate on my fishing. I drank when i got home. LOL. I will be baCk out again. I know how it works now. I will be better and get my girl on fish and myself... I hope!!! LOL

Troutman65
06-11-2009, 09:31 PM
I use to have HUGE bar tabs back in the day. I have cut back my :Food:way back from a year ago. So If I went out this Summer my bar tab would be majorly reduced from the prior trips. I might be able to afford a trip now.:LOL::Wink:

ghetto dad
06-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Hmmmmm....

Lalo..you are such an Internet Troll!!!! :ROFL:

GD

lalo56
06-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Hmmmmm....

GD

Am I? LOL, Not a troll but i do know people with boats and i just THINK I KNOW what im saying but I DONT!!! LOL

lalo56
06-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Hmmmmm....

GD

If you mean causing problems by trolling your way wrong...
Reason i comment on cpt borracho was because i specialize on HVAC/R so i gave my professional opinion.

lalo56
06-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Hmmmmm....

GD

If you need your heating, ventalation, air conditioning/ refrigeration fixed for a good price let me know. thats my specialty. I will hook u up. NEW INSTALL OR REPAIR. I WILL GIVE U A GOOD PRICE

Plumming? I got a guy too. I work as an engineer at a a hospital, I do all trades.

lalo56
06-11-2009, 10:15 PM
i suck at fishing but learning.

lalo56
06-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Hmmmmm....

GD

Would you like central air in your home?I can hook it up for 800 bucks. Thats a family price. maybe a little more for the duct and depending on your access. We have to see how much access and how long of ducts we need.

ghetto dad
06-11-2009, 10:31 PM
If you need your heating, ventalation, air conditioning/ refrigeration fixed for a good price let me know. thats my specialty. I will hook u up. NEW INSTALL OR REPAIR. I WILL GIVE U A GOOD PRICE

Plumming? I got a guy too. I work as an engineer at a a hospital, I do all trades.

Would you like central air in your home?I can hook it up for 800 bucks. Thats a family price. maybe a little more for the duct and depending on your access. We have to see how much access and how long of ducts we need.

Lalo...WTH you talking about brother??? :ROFL:

um..but thanks, I think

GD

ghetto dad
06-11-2009, 10:33 PM
If you mean causing problems by trolling your way wrong...
Reason i comment on cpt borracho was because i specialize on HVAC/R so i gave my professional opinion.

dude...lol....it was a joke....check your welcome thread...lol....why did you quote me for times homie....

GD

Troutman65
06-11-2009, 10:42 PM
dude...lol....it was a joke....check your welcome thread...lol....why did you quote me for times homie....

GD

UMmm, he went to the Troutman65 school of posting :whistle:

Poxy Boggards
06-15-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm a newb to the socal salt scene, but you learn quickly when out on almost any of these boats that you have to fend for yourself.

I always ask some more experienced anglers to come along with me, that way I can ask them for help if I need it.

The sport boat fishing down in Southern Cali is much different than it is up in the SF Bay Area. Up there the deckhand comes around and sets everyone up with the rig for the day before you even get to the fishing grounds. If you have a question, they are polite and help however they can. And it's always first come first served on the spot that you pick, got to be there early for the stern spots.

I'd recomend putting up a post in the fishing rendesvous before booking your next trip. Get an experienced angler to come along with you, and it will make for a more pleasant experience.

Good luck and tight lines on your next trip!