PDA

View Full Version : New Port Harbor - Halibut Rig?

SueMarie301
05-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Hello everyone! I am new to posting in this forum, but have been lurking for a while. I’ve been wanting to try halibut fishing for a while now. I’m actually heading out to New Port this Sunday. I am sure it’s going to be PACKED because of the holiday weekend. I wanted to get some advice on a rig set up for Halibut. I was going to set up my pole with a 4 or 6 oz sinker that I will toss out and then propel down the line a two foot leader (fluorocarbon) with a live anchovy hooked through the nose and through the tail. I’ve seen it used for dead or artificial bait but wasn’t sure it if was successful with live bait. I don’t know the area to well but I figured the pier would be a good place to get some mackerel (for catfishing) and some live bait.

Sue...

samgann93
05-21-2009, 09:28 PM
where r u planning on fishing in the harbor? (just outta curiosity)

i seem to have better luck with the flatties in the morning. try the gulp baits.

SueMarie301
05-21-2009, 09:40 PM
I was actually planning on fishing at the pier. I was hoping to get some mackeral for some catfishing later on. I am not to familiar with the area, but I assume there's really only one pier out in Newport?? I think its off 19th street or at least around there.

I'm about an hour out so I'm hoping to get out there about 5am.

samgann93
05-21-2009, 09:47 PM
that should be good. there is the newport peir and the balboa peir. both are good but i always catch more macks at newport.

be sure to post your results. ill be catching macks for bat ray bait sunday also.

SueMarie301
05-21-2009, 09:54 PM
I'll definately post any results I get. The last time I was out a newport was a while ago. The macks were non-stop!! I didn't catch to much small live bait, but I'm hoping to have a little better luck this Sunday. There will be four of for sure, and quite possibly a 5th. We'll be out there early. Who knowes, maybe we'll be fishing next to each other. Just look for the big chick with the floppy hat and green chair LOL!

Good Luck and Happy Fishing!

Sue...