PDA

View Full Version : newbie cuda question

silversx
05-21-2009, 11:41 AM
never really fished for barracuda..

im planning on using 15lb big game line.. some metal jigs and i think the boat may have live bait?

i read somewhere that they'll bite leadheads with rubber swim bait tails??

should i pick up more metal jigs or more leadhead/rubber tail .. metal jigs are pretty expensive and i heard barracudas often cut the line with their teeth..

also any rigging tips would be appreciated.. dropper loop with 3 ounce weight like for bottom fishing wouldn't work right?

thanks

samgann93
05-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Personnaly all i throw for the cudas is jigs. blue and white is my favorite. they are a little pricey but well worth it. i havent had a problem with cudas cutting the line because the hook is on the back of the jig so usually they dont swallow the bait all the way. you can throw the swimbaits for them but IMO its not nearly as fun as throwing the iron. if you pick up a couple in blue and white or chrome and blue itll be on. 15lb will be fine you just wont be able to bounce them on the deck.

if you are worried about getting the jigs bitten off ive heard of people using metal wire leaders. i havent done this but with how aggressive the cudas are i dont see why it wouldnt work.

good luck out there,
S.G

THROWBACK RANGER
05-21-2009, 11:47 AM
first off dont fish jigs with 15lbs use at least 30lbs. if you plan on using live bait for barracuda try using long shank hooks match the size of the hook to the size of the bait. 3/0 for sardines and 2'z for anchovies with out any weight (flylined). hope this helps!!

Ricky-Ray
05-21-2009, 11:52 AM
There are several way's of fishing for cuda's

Live Bait.
Most likely flyline a live bait. You would definitely want to use a wire leader. The cuda's teeth are sharp and can cut the line. Alternatively you can try using a circle hook too. In theory the hook should go into the corner of the mouth preventing them from cutting the line with it's teeth.

Plastic Swimbaits.
These will work also. I've caught a few with them. Be prepared to lose or change out the swimbaits quite a bit. They teeth will do a number on the plastic.

Iron/Jig
IMO the best way to fish for them. Blue/White, Scramble Egg, Black/White or silver, have worked well for me. If they are on the surface just cast out and as soon as it hits the water start winding back in.

Fishing 15# is ok if you want to fish lighter gear but if your going to be on a cattle boat I would suggest at least 20 or 25#. You can get the fish in the boat faster and if the school is on the move you won't waste time getting the fish in and letting the school get away from the boat.

silversx
05-21-2009, 12:02 PM
thanks guys

where would i get wire leaders??

should i buy an inshore 7footer and throw on a baitcaster i use for freshwater with 20lb line??

i was thinking about bringing my 6.6med w/baitcaster i use for freshwater.. i don't mind since its one of my cheaper rod/reels

other than that i have two el cheapo spinning combos for ocean fishing.. you know.. the 7footer combos for like 40 bucks

Ricky-Ray
05-21-2009, 01:17 PM
You should be able to get wire leaders at any tackle shop. Up to you if you want to buy a rod for the cuda's. If your only planning to go after them this one time it might just be better to rent the gear or if you can borrow someone else's heavier salt gear.

I've caught a few cuda's with the cheapo wally mart ocean spinning gear and it worked just fine.

silversx
05-21-2009, 01:21 PM
thats what i have.. cheapo walmart spinning ocean combos..

im sure they'll work but i wonder if i pick up a 7foot heavy inshore rod and pair it with one of my freshwater baitcaster ill have a better time fighting the fish..

not to mention casting the jigs farther

Ricky-Ray
05-21-2009, 01:23 PM
IMO it's more fun catching cuda on the iron with a 9ft jig stick. :)

silversx
05-21-2009, 01:43 PM
would said jig stick be in the fresh or salt section of bps :D

and can i use a baitcaster for freshwater for this??

victor101
05-21-2009, 02:24 PM
would said jig stick be in the fresh or salt section of bps :D

and can i use a baitcaster for freshwater for this??

Jig sticks would be in the salt section of the BPS...They have some cheapo jigsticks there that will get the job done. I would use a conventional instead of a baitcast reel...Unless the reel u have in mind is loaded with 30# line and u feel confident using it to pull on 10#+ fish.

samgann93
05-21-2009, 02:58 PM
IMO it's more fun catching cuda on the iron with a 9ft jig stick. :)

i agree!!!

Ricky-Ray
05-21-2009, 03:15 PM
When are you going???? Heck I'll even loan you my 9ft jig stick if you want and then you can go to town on the logs.

FISH_HUNTER
05-21-2009, 03:19 PM
i agree!!!

+2 Yes that's a great feeling......a 45 getting stopped during a retrive.:Big Smile: :Beer Toast:

samgann93
05-21-2009, 03:29 PM
+2 Yes that's a great feeling......a 45 getting stopped during a retrive.:Big Smile: :Beer Toast:

exactly. even better on a 10ft fishing for yellows. thats a rush.

victor101
05-21-2009, 03:39 PM
When are you going???? Heck I'll even loan you my 9ft jig stick if you want and then you can go to town on the logs.

Can i borow it RR? Ill return it next winter!:ROFL:

Ricky-Ray
05-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Can i borow it RR? Ill return it next winter!:ROFL:

Sure. Come and get it. I've got an extra stick.

EastCoaster
05-21-2009, 06:21 PM
RR we dont know each other but you always seem to reply to stuff I post on here, I would really like to get out and fish with you sometime.. We are doing a private charter in Aug for a 3/4 day if you are interested?? Let me know.. My cousin already did the contract and we dont think he knows what he is getting into so my bro in law and I are trying to help anyway possible...

ghetto dad
05-21-2009, 07:05 PM
RR we dont know each other but you always seem to reply to stuff I post on here, I would really like to get out and fish with you sometime.. We are doing a private charter in Aug for a 3/4 day if you are interested?? Let me know.. My cousin already did the contract and we dont think he knows what he is getting into so my bro in law and I are trying to help anyway possible...

THe good thing about Ricky being on a trip with you is that he wont take up ANY rail space...he just chills in the background and snacks ALL DAY~!~! :ROFL:
RIckys good people.....

ANyways, all the advice above is excellent, ill add a bit:

1. When fishing the iron, and you get bit, do NOT set the hook...KEEP WINDING STEADY!! One of the reasons for this, especially with cuda, is a LOT of times, they grab your jig from the side....if you KEEP WINDING, the jig slides through their teeth slightly, and youll get em in the jaws...if you set the hook, you most of the time will pull the jig out of their mouth.

2. 25 lb test should do you fine throwing Iron, unless you feel more comfortable with 30. The problem is, the heavier the line, the more your jig will "float." That makes it very difficult to fish a surface iron, especially if their is any wind.

3. Steel leaders are great, but also be aware, that if the cuda arent WFO, and they are being picky, you will have less chance too hook one with a wire leader..they can see it a mile away, for one, and also, you will lose ANY "natural" presentation with your live bait.....

i think thats it...have fun

GD

ghetto dad
05-21-2009, 08:53 PM
nobody really said to try sliding sinker rig. use a 1/4 to 1/2oz egg sinker and a cheapo mustad hook. let the fish eat it in freespool for a while. bam cheappppppp cuda
all else fails. penny swimbaits> wut ever u do, leave the steel leaders at home. people will laugh at you

you forgot the part where after he lets the fish eat it for awhile, after "bam" the next sound will be "POW!" breakoff...lol...

if you are going to baitfish, get some 2 and 2/0 LONG SHANK stainless steel hooks.....you will have a much better chance at the fish not totally swallowing the hook....and not chewing the line...

GD

basically, leave it at this....do NOT fish bait, unless you absolutely have to!!! :ROFL: just throw iron...youll be better off....

Jackpot Jimmy
05-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Some people recommend using single hooks on jigs, I guess so it is easy to shake off if you want to release it. Myself, I like cutting off the barbs on the treble hooks, and have no problem shaking off a cuda if I want to release it, instead of bouncing it, and getting it on the deck. However, I will only do this if it is wide open.

And like Steve said, when you get bit, DO NOT set the hook. Have a straight wind. Regarding color, I don't think it really matters when they go wide, but personally, I like using blue and white.

I don't see a problem fishing jigs with 15#, in fact, that's what I used for those 10-15 pound bonito last year, and I never lost a fish with a jig. Like it was said before, you can't bounce the logs on that.

Just my two cents from experience...

ghetto dad
05-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Some people recommend using single hooks on jigs, I guess so it is easy to shake off if you want to release it. Myself, I like cutting off the barbs on the treble hooks, and have no problem shaking off a cuda if I want to release it, instead of bouncing it, and getting it on the deck. However, I will only do this if it is wide open.

And like Steve said, when you get bit, DO NOT set the hook. Have a straight wind. Regarding color, I don't think it really matters when they go wide, but personally, I like using blue and white.

I don't see a problem fishing jigs with 15#, in fact, that's what I used for those 10-15 pound bonito last year, and I never lost a fish with a jig. Like it was said before, you can't bounce the logs on that.

Just my two cents from experience...

Jimmy, youre my boy and everything, you know that...but dont recommend using the lighter line for jig fishing.....not everyone has skills like you lil homie...:ROFL:...use 25.....minimum...IMO......

Jackpot Jimmy
05-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Jimmy, youre my boy and everything, you know that...but dont recommend using the lighter line for jig fishing.....not everyone has skills like you lil homie...:ROFL:...use 25.....minimum...IMO......

Yeah, I would recommend 25# minimum, too. I was ill-prepared for the boneheads on steroids and cuda that showed up off Newport in May of last year, and only had 15#. Nonetheless, I would recommend a bit heavier string, especially on a party boat.

And most importantly, look behind you when you cast! You will not miss the water.

Ricky-Ray
05-21-2009, 10:02 PM
RIckys good people.....

WTF....When did I become more than one person???? Did I exceed the weight limit of one person and qualify as two now???? LOL

If the person's never fished for barracuda before I would NEVER recommend fishing for them with light line. Doing so would increase their chances of losing the fish. I would highly recommend AT least 20 or 25 pound mono. Once they've gotten the feel of them and if they want to try going lighter line then go for it but not in the very beginning.

FISH_HUNTER
05-21-2009, 10:33 PM
If your on Moo-Moo's and throwing the iron don't even bother w/less than 25#! Almost keep the drag buttoned down! Look behind you :LOL: cast out reel in....when you "feel" the jig stop KEEP tuning the handle!!! Do not swing! And with the "rope" your using you don't have to call for gaff. Just make sure as the Garr is coming over the rail put it in free spool. Good luck and have fun!:Beer Toast:

ghetto dad
05-21-2009, 10:39 PM
If your on Moo-Moo's and throwing the iron don't even bother w/less than 25#! Almost keep the drag buttoned down! Look behind you :LOL: cast out reel in....when you "feel" the jig stop KEEP tuning the handle!!! Do not swing! And with the "rope" your using you don't have to call for gaff. Just make sure as the Garr is coming over the rail put it in free spool. Good luck and have fun!:Beer Toast:

NO!!! Lol...new guys should NEVER bounce cuda....call for a gaff on EVERY one!!!!>.....

and ricky, you know what i meant...lol

GD

Ricky-Ray
05-21-2009, 11:04 PM
I know GD....I just had to give you a hard time. It's all good you know that.

Odium
05-22-2009, 08:37 AM
NO!!! Lol...new guys should NEVER bounce cuda....call for a gaff on EVERY one!!!!>.....

and ricky, you know what i meant...lol

GD

I guess I'll be calling for a gaff every time. . .

ghetto dad
05-22-2009, 10:33 AM
I guess I'll be calling for a gaff every time. . .

lol...just sayin,,,,,unless you know how to throw one on, it could be very dangerous, to you and the other passengers...ive seen lots of BAD things happen this way with my years working and fishing on the boats....if they are alot of people, ill even have them gaff my larger ones....not worth risking injury to yourself or others when you dont have to....

GD

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
05-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Instead of carrying 2 or 3 rod/reels and a tackle box onboard, just go with one 8 ft. setup for both jig and bait fishing.....25 or 30 lb test mono, no wire leaders for either jig or bait fishing. Use circle hooks.....most likely the fish won't get hooked til it reaches the corner or front of it's mouth where the circle hooks tip will catch and get a solid hookup. I've tried this method years ago when they first came out with circle hooks and it's worked great for me. Good luck and have fun!
TTFM

ghetto dad
05-22-2009, 10:59 AM
Instead of carrying 2 or 3 rod/reels and a tackle box onboard, just go with one 8 ft. setup for both jig and bait fishing.....25 or 30 lb test mono, no wire leaders for either jig or bait fishing. Use circle hooks.....most likely the fish won't get hooked til it reaches the corner or front of it's mouth where the circle hooks tip will catch and get a solid hookup. I've tried this method years ago when they first came out with circle hooks and it's worked great for me. Good luck and have fun!
TTFM

Thats impossible for me or any of my homies to only bring one rod...:ROFL: We need at LEAST 4-6, huh guys!! :LOL:

GD

4g63power
05-22-2009, 12:26 PM
ahh...1/2 day cuda trips...20 dead heads...tadys flying left and right..

Ricky-Ray
05-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Thats impossible for me or any of my homies to only bring one rod...:ROFL: We need at LEAST 4-6, huh guys!! :LOL:

GD

Ballers!!!!!!

hehehe...:Envious:

victor101
05-22-2009, 12:32 PM
TTFM

What if the barracuda arent biting and you go fly line chovies for bass instead? and the bass are only biting on 12# test?...then you would be screwed LOL.

Evilone
05-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Rule number one- when throwing iron, don't look where you want to throw it,watch your iron at all times, I guarrantee that you will hit the water
Rule number two- If you bring a fish aboard( and I hope you do) don,t hold the line above the Iron, if he shakes off the iron hooks you
All else the others told you is good, heavy line, long shanks, wire not needed Blah Blah

Ricky-Ray
05-22-2009, 01:16 PM
What if the barracuda arent biting and you go fly line chovies for bass instead? and the bass are only biting on 12# test?...then you would be screwed LOL.

Never heard of leaders?????? :Envious: :Envious:

ghetto dad
05-22-2009, 02:12 PM
ahh...1/2 day cuda trips...20 hot guys with their shirts off...tadys flying left and right..boy i cant wait....

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Ballers!!!!!!

hehehe...:Envious:

LOL

EXACTLY

Never heard of leaders?????? :Envious: :Envious:

ghetto..........

GD

THROWBACK RANGER
05-22-2009, 08:21 PM
ahh...1/2 day cuda trips...20 dead heads...tadys flying left and right..

my kind of enviornment!!!!!! Seperate the men from the boys!!!!

ghetto dad
05-23-2009, 12:35 AM
everyone welcome ghetto dad as official thread monitor in this section of the forum. lol how many replies? haha. i can guarantee one more lol!:LOL:

yep...heres your one more.......

GD

Bradakas
05-23-2009, 01:42 AM
Just use an ultra lite trout rig and a huge diamond jig or crocodile... everyone will love you for it. Trust me.

Bradakas
05-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Just kidding, use the longest and heaviest gear you can handle. Anything from a calstar 270-8H with a 332 newell on 25lb test. I'd consider this set up the minimum on a cattle boat. Or on the upper end of the spectrum, an ULUA 93H with a Saltist 50 on 30lb to 40lb test.

I use a 900H with a Daiwa sha40 on 30LB.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Bradakas/jig.jpg

+1 having a Tady 45 stop dead in mid retrieve is AWESOME.

ghetto dad
05-24-2009, 07:29 AM
Just kidding, use the longest and heaviest gear you can handle. Anything from a calstar 270-8H with a 332 newell on 25lb test. I'd consider this set up the minimum on a cattle boat. Or on the upper end of the spectrum, an ULUA 93H with a Saltist 50 on 30lb to 40lb test.

I use a 900H with a Daiwa sha40 on 30LB.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Bradakas/jig.jpg

+1 having a Tady 45 stop dead in mid retrieve is AWESOME.

Nice Wingnut shot homie!! :Big Grin:

heres another one for you babykiller

GD