PDA

View Full Version : Question for the bass masters

ghetto dad
05-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Hey guys,

Im going to vegas sunday, and stopping by BPS :Big Grin:

I want to start LMB fishing a bit more, and i have SOME plastics and such, but my questions are

1. What plastics should i pic up, and what size?

2. Hooks

anything else you can add would be great...i dont wanna spend $500, but i just want to start "fresh" and get rid of the crap i got...i KNOW there are 1,000,000 different plastics but give me a few suggestions to start out that i can be confident that i can throw and catch fish, know what i mean?? thanks again!!:Big Grin:

GD

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
05-20-2009, 11:36 PM
i hear you bro i jus started bass fishing a month ago heres what i use all wal mart bought under 20 bucks.. get size 6 gamakatzi hooks-$3.78 and the biggest split shot weights you could find. $1.50 and some robo worms 6 in perfered green weenies or margarita mutalators or even ox bloods.$ 4.00 i would get all 3 for starters. then rig a dropshot 12 in, thencast and wait a few sec no hits twitch it a few with a slow drag. then repeat. if no luck ask the other anglers at the lake for good techniques..good luck and try blazing 7's at wiskey pete's at front door i hit $5000 off her onetime...

smokinflies
05-21-2009, 08:19 AM
the banjo minnow and the new improved rocket rod. j/k

good luck in vegas ghetto dude. remember all on black.

hey do you think you could take some pics of the occ bass bike when you hit up bps in vegas? i've heard about the bike but never seen it. thanx

goodguy
05-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Robo worms!

cappo
05-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Dan Hernandez squid strips so you can drop shot them.

ghetto dad
05-21-2009, 08:53 AM
i hear you bro i jus started bass fishing a month ago heres what i use all wal mart bought under 20 bucks.. get size 6 gamakatzi hooks-$3.78 and the biggest split shot weights you could find. $1.50 and some robo worms 6 in perfered green weenies or margarita mutalators or even ox bloods.$ 4.00 i would get all 3 for starters. then rig a dropshot 12 in, thencast and wait a few sec no hits twitch it a few with a slow drag. then repeat. if no luck ask the other anglers at the lake for good techniques..good luck and try blazing 7's at wiskey pete's at front door i hit $5000 off her onetime...

thanks man..i actually know how to d/s, and have actually caught bass on what i have, but the stuff i have is old, and wanted to start fresh..and thanks for the vegas tips!! LOL

the banjo minnow and the new improved rocket rod. j/k

good luck in vegas ghetto dude. remember all on black.

hey do you think you could take some pics of the occ bass bike when you hit up bps in vegas? i've heard about the bike but never seen it. thanx

OK, ill try to remember....lol

Robo worms!

ok thanks man

Dan Hernandez squid strips so you can drop shot them.

:ROFL:I only drop shot live bait cuz.....:ROFL:

thanks guys, i think...lol

GD

lurk 182
05-21-2009, 09:06 AM
no bass master here but for what its worth. can't go wrong with robos (bonzai and JBs are nice and soft too) . i like the six inch straight fat series for t-rigging. maybe pick up some tungsten bullet weights (those are kinda new) and 2/0 through 4/0 gamakatsu EWG hooks. got senkos? i like the five inch in watermelon, green pumpkin, almost anything. zoom brush hogs, reaction innovations sweet beavers, berkeley chiggercraws and netbait paca craws are all nice creature baits. how's yor jig selection? 3/8 and 1/2 oz are my go to sizes. i like brown, green pumpkin/olive, Skinny Bears are my favorite. stay with eight pound at least if you're near cover.

peanut88
05-21-2009, 09:09 AM
GD,

Old reliable night crawlers if all else fails.

Cheers.

THROWBACK RANGER
05-21-2009, 09:16 AM
gamakatsu 4/0 wide gap hooks and yamamoto senko's and fat ika's green pumpkin w/ black flake, purple, green watermelon w/ red flake, and red w/ red flake. the best part is you dont need any weight!(fly line) as far as drop shotting goes i like robo worms and bonzai worms

p.s. you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls *** but would'nt you rather take the butchers word for it!!!!

Little Bass Mike
05-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Roboworms!!!

samgann93
05-21-2009, 11:42 AM
drop shotted roboworms. pick up MMII color and morning dawn. those colors are killer.

ghetto dad
05-21-2009, 06:56 PM
no bass master here but for what its worth. can't go wrong with robos (bonzai and JBs are nice and soft too) . i like the six inch straight fat series for t-rigging. maybe pick up some tungsten bullet weights (those are kinda new) and 2/0 through 4/0 gamakatsu EWG hooks. got senkos? i like the five inch in watermelon, green pumpkin, almost anything. zoom brush hogs, reaction innovations sweet beavers, berkeley chiggercraws and netbait paca craws are all nice creature baits. how's yor jig selection? 3/8 and 1/2 oz are my go to sizes. i like brown, green pumpkin/olive, Skinny Bears are my favorite. stay with eight pound at least if you're near cover.

wow...thank man...

gamakatsu 4/0 wide gap hooks and yamamoto senko's and fat ika's green pumpkin w/ black flake, purple, green watermelon w/ red flake, and red w/ red flake. the best part is you dont need any weight!(fly line) as far as drop shotting goes i like robo worms and bonzai worms

p.s. you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls *** but would'nt you rather take the butchers word for it!!!!

:ROFL::ROFL: thanks man

Roboworms!!!

seems to be the go to so far

drop shotted roboworms. pick up MMII color and morning dawn. those colors are killer.

thanks brother!!! ok, im getting confused now guys..no more info please! :ROFL:

GD

That Dang Guy
05-21-2009, 07:04 PM

x2

Senkos and Ikas produce alot of fish for me, but I prefer 3//0 Gamakatsu EWG. Don't buy the superlines by accident, they are thick gaged wire. Ikas cast like a bullet. Completely weedless. Impossible to snag up in anything. I swear, if you cast the thing into a dense tree you'd be able to slowly pull it out without any issues.

The great thing about senkos is it's versitility. You can texas rig them, rig them weightless, cut 'em and use them as trailers or rig them wacky weightless or with a iichi head . Pin the eye of the hook with a toothpick to extend it's life.

LunkerLover
05-21-2009, 07:15 PM
I'd like to consider myself a dayamm good bass angler... It's taken me a few years to feel comfortable saying that.

I'd recommend:
Zoom lizards in watermelon color
6" Robos in: Margarita, Morning Dawn, Oxe Blood, Aarons Magic
Bass Pro Shops Brand of "Senko-like" ribbed FAT worms called Stik-Os (always 3 FAT packs for 9.99)
a few chrome-ish colored lipless rattle trap cranks
Some weedless frogs ... top water poppers for the lilly-padded bodies of water
JIGS JIGS JIGS! Blues, blacks, browns

This combination of arsenal has done me WONDERS since mid-2007. 20-50 ct LMB days @ DVL, Skinner, Castaic, Perris, Vail, etc. 25+ ct. nina sessions @ local hot spots and honey holes

ghetto dad
05-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks guys...ima need to print all this stuff out before i go to vegas...I appreciate it...

calico killer kevin
05-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Come on GD. Don't waste your money at BPS. Better prices and better service are waiting for you at a local shop.

pappi
05-21-2009, 09:03 PM
i like to use a salt and pepper silver body with charthues pinchers forn lmb at lake mead

ghetto dad
05-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Come on GD. Don't waste your money at BPS. Better prices and better service are waiting for you at a local shop.

yo, i support my local shops.....

but im going to BPS VEGAS!! That is a lil more exciting then my local shops homie....lol...

GD

That Dang Guy
05-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Not to mention TW is 15% of this week and the usual free shipping on orders over $50. But something about going to BPS and browsing is already worth the money.

tacklejunkie
05-22-2009, 10:50 AM
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/fxmmII7inch.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/hooks.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/lunkercitrydsweights.jpg

Sometimes.. just leave out the

Or get a good crankbait on 12lb and sling to your hearts content. Make sure it's working at your depth! I use them as depth finders and fish dropoffs I find with them.

Skyler
05-22-2009, 10:57 AM
I like these guys on a 1/4 oz dropshot. You can use 'em in NPH too:

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/4691/71475a1.jpg
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_44686_100007000_100000000_100007000_100-7-0

ghetto dad
05-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Not to mention TW is 15% of this week and the usual free shipping on orders over $50. But something about going to BPS and browsing is already worth the money.

lol...thats what I was trying to tell Kevin...lol....thanks man

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/fxmmII7inch.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/hooks.jpg

Sometimes.. just leave out the

Or get a good crankbait on 12lb and sling to your hearts content. Make sure it's working at your depth! I use them as depth finders and fish dropoffs I find with them.

NICE Tj...what color is that called..and why do you have two pics of d/s sinkers...lol...thanks homie.....

I like these guys on a 1/4 oz dropshot. You can use 'em in NPH too:

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/4691/71475a1.jpg
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_44686_100007000_100000000_100007000_100-7-0

yeah, Ive heard about those....i think i have my basics down now..thanks A LOT guys.....

GD

tacklejunkie
05-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Those worms/minnows Skyler points out above I believe are only available at BPS, so while you are there you may want to try some. I have bought a pack or two and they will get you on some fish. If you dont already have a pointer or three, might as well get those and any LCFM's you can convert to nicer hooks while you are at it.

That worm is my go-to. RoboWorm FXMMII 7". I believe BPS stocks it and most other places don't besides TackleWarehouse and the good shops.

It's also sometime tricky to find the good gami hooks in cheaper bulk packs like that. If you see them, stock up!

That Dang Guy
05-22-2009, 02:59 PM
For dropshot weights, if you can wait I'm getting ready to pour in mass once i get a new pot to smelt raw lead. I need to offset the cost of my 20lb production pot. It'll be priced where you basically get twice as many as BPS. I'll have a firm price setup later next week.

Double smelted lead. Very clean.
Do-It cyclinder dropshot mold. Mainly sizes 1/8,3/16,1/4,3/8.

I'd do egg sinkers too, but I think someone else on this board is selling/trading them already.

HEMAN
05-22-2009, 03:24 PM
For dropshot weights, if you can wait I'm getting ready to pour in mass once i get a new pot to smelt raw lead. I need to offset the cost of my 20lb production pot. It'll be priced where you basically get twice as many as BPS. I'll have a firm price setup later next week.

Double smelted lead. Very clean.
Do-It cyclinder dropshot mold. Mainly sizes 1/8,3/16,1/4,3/8.

I'd do egg sinkers too, but I think someone else on this board is selling/trading them already.

damnit.. well make me my egg sinkers!!! =)
and i think i want to buy bullet head mold as well..

JediMindTricks
05-22-2009, 04:29 PM
bag of senkos. ikas. a couple spinner baits and your catching fish.
TRUST.

bass assassin#23
05-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Its all about swimbaits. bbz1, shellcrackers, huddlestons, ac plugs, triple trouts, lunker punkers, cl8s, bbz1 shads, matt lures hardgills, and jerry rago's. just to name a few. you probly will only be able to the bbzs and huddlestons nothing else.

bass assassin#23

FISHINGBEE
05-22-2009, 05:52 PM
GD,

Old reliable night crawlers if all else fails.

Cheers. He is right if you want to fish the easy way. I love to fish bass lures but when i am lazy a fly lined worm never fails. There is way to much stuff to cover. I have boxes and boxes full of plastics. The new gulp shad works really good.

FISHINGBEE

dockboy
05-26-2009, 06:19 PM
As said, start slow with the plastics. Learn them, and you can catch fish 24/7, 365 if you work at it. My favorite plastic of all time is the Reaction Innovations Sweet Beaver. There are hundreds of options. I say get one or two brands of plastic for each category (straight worms, creatures, tubes, stickbaits, soft jerk baits, etc), and stick to a basic color spectrum (a dark, a light, a brown, watermelon and green pumpkin, etc). In the Western bass fisheries, there is no more consistent a bait than the 4.5" straight tail Roboworm.
It gets mind boggling. I have rows of boxes filled with gear for bass. If I had to go back and start again, plastics are where its at. Learn all the rigs; Texas rigged, Carolina rigged, split shot, drop shot, wacky rig, darter head,fly line, get the basics down tight. As you get more skilled and want to expand, then you expand into reaction baits and jigs. Swimbaits are good also, but cost wise for a beginner, plastic is the best option. The learning curve for swimbaits can be very long, and IMHO, basics in worming and plastics use come before anything else.
I learned to fish jigs before swimbaits. It has produced dividends in fish quality for me. Jig fish arent as large as the average swimbait fish, but from tournament experience I can tell you there is a reason the jig and plastics fisherman is in the winner's circle more often than not. They may not get the glory the Huddleston and other big baits do, but jigs and worms catch'em day in and out, year round with few exceptions. Good luck and tight lines :Smile: