PDA

View Full Version : Crappie flu

olefrog
05-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Ole frog woke up this morning and that darn Crappie flu hit me again.
I guess I got a taste the last trip to Cibola.

Miss frog and I arrived at Cibola at six ,she won't let me go by my-self.
She says I am to young ? she is 83,
she has a couple years on old frog.

The fishing turned out darn good for Crappie, ole frog wound up with the best mess I have seen in years around the Cibola,Oxbow,Pretty Water area.
I wound up with 16 Crappie some 12 inches or so.Not a big mess but darn good for around here.
Ole frog fished 2 1/2 hours , was done by 8:30, did not want to stay around for the heat.
It was a hot humid one yesterday with thunderstorms,to-day we are working on the same thing.

Ole frog caught 10 or so LMB a couple keepers but I had all the fish I could eat ,I released them.
I started catching Crapping right off.
I kept no Bluegill but only caught 4

What did I use ? ole frog used a Pan Fish Assassin tail on a 1/4 oz lead head.
This leadhead has nice eyes.
I am convinced after the 70 + years of fishing, that fish hone in on the eyes for the target

Eyes are very important in a lot of things.
I was a lousey tackler in football,ole frog had a coach who told me never close your eyes .
I worked on the eyes over and over again to keep them open , they did not come my way after I mastered keeping them open.
No one could juke me if I keep my eyes open.

The bass most were small 10 inches or so ,as the lure was tiny.
The method ole frog used to find fish ?
I do not have a fish finder on my 8 foot boat.
Ole frog watched the water, Cibola was flat off and on all morning.
One could see small bait fish dimple the water ,I would cast the jig in these areas.

The attached images
Cibola Lake 6 oclock
Cibola Lake again
Releasing a LMB
The Crappie
The finished cleaned fish.
ta ta ole frog

bluehunter
05-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Olefrog that is a nice bunch of crappie. I been wanting to swing on some of those to pass away some time from flatheads when I am in that area. That is lovely. Crappie is my number 1 eating freshwater fish.

Troutman65
05-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Olefrog, nice report. I just got the crappie bug this year. Thanks for sharing on FNN.:Big Grin:

BingJr
05-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Olefrog that is a nice bunch of crappie. I been wanting to swing on some of those to pass away some time from flatheads when I am in that area. That is lovely. Crappie is my number 1 eating freshwater fish.

I think Crappie is the Flatheads #1 eating fish as well! :Secret:

BIGRED KILLA
05-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the pics and report keep it up.

Bigred