PDA

View Full Version : First Pike!!!

fishinButch
05-20-2009, 04:09 AM
Headed out to the St. Lawrence yesterday with tons of advice and a bucket of minnows meant to catch my first walleye. Of course my first catch was a bass which is currently out of season. Back it goes and I move to another spot. A few casts later I pull in a nice perch...ok once filleted it is not enough to make more than 2 tacos but eh they taste great. I set up again and get a few nibbles...now I am thinking it is going to be a perch day. I wait for a solid bite set the hook and baaaaammmmm! Pole is in half and the line is going out not in. I fight for a bit and as I get a better look at the minnow thief it is a pike not a perch. Ok so now that I have caught it and seen the bloody pics of pike bites I am thinking this must be some sort of Canadian initiation. I managed to pull it in with fingers intact and decide this is a keeper. A few casts later hook my second. Let this one go and had great bites but no real takers after that. Partly due I believe to the beaver that decided I should not be fishing. Ever cast it would swim towards my bait slap it's tail and scare everything off. It was getting too dark so I did not take pics. I was afraid the flash would startle the beaver and the nesting goose that was 30 or so feet away too much. Was a great trip and happily the spot I found is 15 minutes from my house...

Troutman65
05-20-2009, 06:56 AM
Nice report. Congrats . Watch out for the Beaver. Thanks for posting.:Big Grin:

sansou
05-20-2009, 07:58 AM
Congrats!

It must be really pretty up there this time of the year.

sharrko
05-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Where was this?
I am going to visit my brother near niagara falls, and st. catharines, ontario next week. I hope to do some fishing. never fished there. Any suggestions?

fishinButch
05-20-2009, 07:02 PM
St. Lawrence River...