PDA

View Full Version : What’s happening out there?

peanut88
05-20-2009, 12:41 AM
I have just finished reading a post from one of our regulars. If I don’t understand this please indulge me.

According to the post, if a fisherman decides to keeps his catch using legal means and without violating CA fishing regulations, the said fisherman is going to be accosted and threatened to release his catch by so called regulars of a lake?

Can anyone explain this? What right does anyone have to tell a licensed fisherman what he can or cannot do with his legal catch regardless of the quality of the lake it came from?

What are these so called regulars imparting to the newbies out there? Are they out there to make themselves feel big in front of a crowd? In this forum? Will they do this to a child who just caught his first legal fish or on a senior who is passing the time on the lake or to someone subsisting on a meager income? Or are they only hitting on certain individuals they perceive as weak? Are these guys goons? Are they jealous? What lessons are they trying to impart?

I can understand if there are illegalities in the way a fish was caught. Or perhaps the fisherman had no license? Or there was an over limit of fish caught?

I thought fishing was a sport for all that abide by its regulations. I am no expert by any means because I am still learning after 30+ years of fishing fresh & saltwater game fish. But when I go fishing with my family or alone, I keep what I can use. At times I end up giving my catch to others. But many times I choose to release my catch. Ultimately, It is my decision along with many other fishermen since the invention of the fishing pole.

The CA fishing regulations only provide rules for the take of game fish & in certain instances, the catch & release of some in specific areas. Nowhere did I read that it was a must that a fish be released. What right does anyone have in or outside this forum to prevent other licensed fishermen from keeping their catch?

On a side note, approaching another individual with the intent to harm or threaten with force is punishable by law. Worse, things can turn violent and deadly very fast. Some of us outdoorsmen hunt & fish. And if you don’t know by now, many also have a CCW(carry concealed weapon) when going outdoors. What are these guys thinking? Where is the civility? How are you teaching your children or newbies to appreciate this sport?

Anyways I just wanted to lay this out and see what you all think. Sorry for the long read. Cheers.

hughpam
05-20-2009, 01:04 AM
I agree. Well said.

FishermanStu
05-20-2009, 01:12 AM
where is the popcorn insert thing. i need to get that one.

The Angler
05-20-2009, 01:57 AM
I agree with you about 80% peanut, On the other hand there is alot of people on these boards that gett the thong pulled up way to hard about someone catching & keeping Bass. Even though its perfectly legal some feel its there duty to protect there lake from the dwindeling bass population in the lakes. Though i dont agree with them approaching people about it & threating them.
some people that come on these boards have actually left and stop posting here just cause some guys keep talking smack & harassing them about there catch & what not.
Im not a very hostel person but if someone would try to approach me about the fish I catch and try to release my catch they best be ready to throw down Cause I dont play that ****. BUT i do understand why they want there lake "Protected" from poachers & illegal fishing.

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
05-20-2009, 03:29 AM
i am 100 percent with that peanut. i remember when i fished cerritos lake for catfish one morning and some random dude was fishing on his lunch break. he hooked up on a fatty lmb. it took him past his lunch break to bring it in. he pulled it out and it must have been over 6 lbs easy. he seemed to walk back to his car when the local bass anglers saw him taking it they were yelling out obscene words and threatning him. i yelled across the lake " tell them give you 30 bucks for your lunch break." he ended up tossin her back but eventualy it was his call to make. another instance me my 4yr old boy and a buddy of mine fished corona lake and we aimin for trout. but my soon hooked up on a lmb 1lber. i was thinking tossin it back in but the kid gave me that look "you know which one" the one like thats my fish , so i couldn't toss it back in. well me and my bud caught few good size trout. a group of guys walkin around and talkin to the guys on the shoreline jus shootin the breeze. came up to us and jus hangin out they wandered if we hooked up on any trout.my buddy pulls up the stringer and forgot the bass was still on there. oh the ish hit the fan. talk about your goons these dudes were getting all loud. i tried to explain, but it didn't matter. we were about to square off. but like most people i run into like that they all jus talk loud with no outcome. so we jus packed it up and left early..so i highly agree with catch and release is a choice i get pissed when i see people using goldfish for bass and especially when they take it but who am i to tell people what to do with there catch. i personally c & r bass...except for that one time.but thats between us :whistle:

Troutman65
05-20-2009, 07:06 AM
I agree with you also. Thanks for posting your thoughts

Nessie Hunter
05-20-2009, 07:30 AM
Ya, Im one of those hard core C&R guys.... Especially on LMB, SMB, Spotties, etc..

But I also respect the right of "legal" anglers to take what is theirs..
I may talk and explain the thought & reasons for C&R, but would never threaten them or get angry at them for their decision.

Its their legal right......
Many people eat everything they catch, and fish only for that meal, not the sport of it...

So, I agree with what your saying 100%...

tacklejunkie
05-20-2009, 08:22 AM
Catch and keep everything you catch in some of the streams I've been to, and a few more people doing the same will decimate the place. In this case, I might bark a bit.

Catch and keep a legal bass from a huge lake, I think it's a different story. None of my business and I'm likely gonna keep to myself and not judge you on it.

Me, I C,P&R 99.5% of my fish.

What you are experiencing is two different ends of the spectrum converging.
One end catches, keeps and eats for life and fun.
The other catches, photographs and releases for life and fun.
(there is also everything in between)
When the two are in the same vicinity, ideas will differ and form arguments.

Everyone has their opinion, and in public places like this forum, you are going to get everyone's opinion. Unfortunately..
If you don't like it, don't subject yourself to it.

sansou
05-20-2009, 08:29 AM
To the SoCal bass eaters:

Go for it, eat it. It's your legal right.

But if you knew anything about SoCal fishing, and had any inkling of what "ethical angling" is about, you would C&R and get your precious fish tacos elsewhere.

peanut88
05-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the reply guys. I appreciate your comments. I don't want to sound like a smart *** & I don't want to bust the chops of C&R guys. I just have a problem with the approach of some knuckle heads take to justify their reasons.

As fishermen, we are all conservationists. If you decide to purchase a fishing license, you are already a conscious environmentalist. We all want the next catch to be there when we next play @ our local holes. Many times though, it is usually a big skunk. But overall, I think it is the experience and the outing we are also looking for and not necessarily the catch (j/k).

If you want to stop the decimation of a particular species, then report the illegalities. Call DFG or the local LEO. By all means, try not to up the issue by being confrontational. If you say something, hope that it is taken to heart. Never infringe on the rights of others with threats of violence.

As a parent, I want to teach my kids the lifelong enjoyment there is when you first hook up or see color. I think I am getting there. My kids are learning life long lessons & memories from these outings I take them on. I just want to make sure that their enjoyment is not marred by people whose good intentions are displayed in a different manner and forced onto others.

I served this great country of ours in the USMC for 8 yrs. Was taught to review my situation & not back down. As a father & husband that decision still stands but I have to be more cautious. What example would I be setting for my kids if I see something & don't assume the responsibility of correcting a problem?

We all have rights & those rights were hard earned by our forefathers through trial & error. If you want to fish, do so legally. If you want to keep your catch do so and enjoy. If you want to C&R, by all means let the fish live another day. But regardless of what you do, be mindful of the circumstances and remember that it is your legal right to enjoy yourself without someone stomping on your parade.

Cheers & Semper FI

a biley
05-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Honestly I feel the same way even though I ALWAYS C&R. It's their right to keep it, just as long as it's of legal size. I hate these rogue fishermen cutting lines blah blah. I would not be afraid to talk back to them, but not like I'd have to since I don't keep fish.

But the thing is, the excuse of they're feeding their families blah blah. How long to these people fish for? 4 hours? 5 hours? That that same time.... they can be looking for a job, or be WORKING!!! Many of these "Poachers" have jobs! So they fish to feed yes, but they have the option of getting food elsewhere.

Another thing to note is that bass is NO LONGER STOCKED in California... the population in the lake is what's left. Do you know how dirty city park waters are??? Trout and catfish are fine because they are stocked and don't live in the lake long enough to get the toxins in them; by then they are already caught.

a biley
05-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Oh and another thing, many people who keep bass, keep ALL bass regardless of size... and that's where the problem lies. I see people keep bluegill barely hitting 4 inches! A jackall giron is larger than the ones I see being kept. Is there actually meat in those things??? Think logical guys...

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
05-20-2009, 10:02 AM
tackle has a good point. last friday i went to ninja a course and hooked up on a 4 1/2 lbs lmb. first thing i thought was to take it home no one will know but the sports man in me said put it back. i forgot i had a cam phone so i took a pic of it and tossed her back. sometimes uneducated anglers jus take the fish only to just toss it away later that really pisses me off..but good etiqute will always come into play when you learn more about sportfishing. ps i don't even eat fish, my wifes philipino they eat all of my catch.

jimmy951
05-20-2009, 10:31 AM
ill just put it this way, i paid 41 bucks for my fishn license if i cant pull cats trout or bg from a lake and all thats coming out is lmb sure ill take one.

Poxy Boggards
05-20-2009, 10:34 AM
i am 100 percent with that peanut. i remember when i fished cerritos lake for catfish one morning and some random dude was fishing on his lunch break. he hooked up on a fatty lmb. it took him past his lunch break to bring it in. he pulled it out and it must have been over 6 lbs easy. he seemed to walk back to his car when the local bass anglers saw him taking it they were yelling out obscene words and threatning him. i yelled across the lake " tell them give you 30 bucks for your lunch break." he ended up tossin her back but eventualy it was his call to make. another instance me my 4yr old boy and a buddy of mine fished corona lake and we aimin for trout. but my soon hooked up on a lmb 1lber. i was thinking tossin it back in but the kid gave me that look "you know which one" the one like thats my fish , so i couldn't toss it back in. well me and my bud caught few good size trout. a group of guys walkin around and talkin to the guys on the shoreline jus shootin the breeze. came up to us and jus hangin out they wandered if we hooked up on any trout.my buddy pulls up the stringer and forgot the bass was still on there. oh the ish hit the fan. talk about your goons these dudes were getting all loud. i tried to explain, but it didn't matter. we were about to square off. but like most people i run into like that they all jus talk loud with no outcome. so we jus packed it up and left early..so i highly agree with catch and release is a choice i get pissed when i see people using goldfish for bass and especially when they take it but who am i to tell people what to do with there catch. i personally c & r bass...except for that one time.but thats between us :whistle:

If I saw you keeping bass at Carona, I would kindly show you the clear verbage on the lake sticker that you are wearing saying LMB are Catch and release only.

In my opinion, you missed a good opportunity to teach your son a valuable lesson about conservation, and respecting the rules of any given body of water that he is fishing.

I would not try to start a fight over it, but I might call the tackle shop.

hughpam
05-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Sorry. Keeping any legally caught fish isn't poaching, unless the lake is posted C&R.

I keep about 5 Crappie a year. I catch dozens of bass and hundreds of crappie. Am I a poacher?

Oh, I don't care. Just remembered.

FishermanStu
05-20-2009, 12:19 PM
If I saw you keeping bass at Carona, I would kindly show you the clear verbage on the lake sticker that you are wearing saying LMB are Catch and release only.

In my opinion, you missed a good opportunity to teach your son a valuable lesson about conservation, and respecting the rules of any given body of water that he is fishing.

I would not try to start a fight over it, but I might call the tackle shop.

I second this motion. As a child i remember many of my fishing trips but more importantly I remember my dad teaching me the importance of catch and release. sure the first time i wanted to keep it but then he explained to me where will it be next year when we come if i keep it this year.

And on another note. If u are a bass fisherman/woman, how man times have you had to explain that you dont keep bass because they arent stocked. once they are gone, they are gone. So maybe violence is not the answer and education is.

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
05-20-2009, 01:46 PM

I would not try to start a fight over it, but I might call the tackle shop.thinking about it know good point will do next time the kid catches a lmb.

James<626>
05-20-2009, 03:13 PM
U nailed it buddy. Couldn't of said better myself. Agree w/you 100%. I've also heard on here about snatching a bass off a kids net n throwing it back in the water or going by n kicking someones bucket over the water. That 2 me is b/s. U don't like it don't look, turn the other way keep ur comments 2 urself. Is it worth getting physical over a fish u didn't catch???? I don't think so!

DarkShadow
05-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Sorry for the long read. Cheers.

No worries.

I started playing Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On," real loud and it accompanied the post nicely.

But if you knew anything about SoCal fishing, and had any inkling of what "ethical angling" is about, you would C&R and get your precious fish tacos elsewhere.

1. Do you know anything about SoCal fishing?

I fish in SoCal, so that automatically qualifies me as a yes.

2. Do you have any inkling of what "ethical angling" is about?

Yes, I follow DFG regulations, because they are so up to date and based on hundreds of hours worth of manpower and research, so I am, in fact, an ethical angler.

tacklejunkie
05-20-2009, 08:13 PM
The one time I did make it to Casitas and actually fished..
My uncle tied a T-rig on my line and told me to toss it between the reeds from the campsite. Never caught anything. I do remember my uncle being PO'd about some guy showing him a big ol bass in a bucket. I still remember how mad he was to this day yellin' about it all night and taking it up with the guy some 15 years ago, he made such a huge scene.

I learned what rig it was he tied on my line finally, 2 years ago. That's about when I remembered I should C&R my bass. Maybe the memory stuck?
Worked great for my first C&R'd Silverwood Bass and first LMB all together.

Ah, the memories. Look how we can learn from them.

lurk 182
05-20-2009, 08:50 PM
its definately lame to make someone feel "bad" about eating non stocked/non invasive fish but with so many people relying on the resource its pretty short sighted not to practice cnr on anything you really like catching.

fisherman9
05-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Ya, Im one of those hard core C&R guys.... Especially on LMB, SMB, Spotties, etc..

But I also respect the right of "legal" anglers to take what is theirs..
I may talk and explain the thought & reasons for C&R, but would never threaten them or get angry at them for their decision.

Its their legal right......
Many people eat everything they catch, and fish only for that meal, not the sport of it...

So, I agree with what your saying 100%...

.'

sums up my opinion

RUSSO
05-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Its kinda like the snaggers out here raping the bays and river mouths, its completely Legal, but not really COOL.

Fish Dog
05-21-2009, 06:26 PM
If it's legal you should have nothing to say about it, other then maybe an "educational" comment on C&R, (and I'm saying a courteous "you might want to let that one go since they don't stock LMB in the lakes any more"). But, that would be it. If it's legal it's their choice. If you want to rant about it, rant to the Fish and Game commission to change the law and make keeping LMB illegal. Once that is done then rant away as you'll be ranting at poachers.

Red Fox
05-21-2009, 09:50 PM

I could be mistaken but I believe LMB is catch and release only at Corona Lake.. And if that was the case, then its an illegal catch and keep.. pretty simple..

I can respect every fishermans right to keep what they are allowed to legally, but i do hope everyone exercises some common sense and as Sansou said "Ethical Angling". It snot hard to see why the 5 fish LMb limit does NOT logically apply to most our Socal lakes. We as a society have become zombies, not beig able to think for ourselves jsut so that we dont have to take responsibilities for our actions.

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
05-21-2009, 11:28 PM
please elaborate. you lost me at post