PDA

View Full Version : I need vegetable recipes! Heart healthy ones!

Sue
05-18-2009, 09:56 PM
Right, I have been told my cholesterol is sky high - effective today I'm changing my eating habits (tonight it's poached salmon with vegetables and salad).
BUT, I need tasty, healthy, low cholesterol and low sodium recipes so I can get my cholesterol levels down to a point where I don't medication.

C'mon Team57! Rally round and give me yummy ideas so I don't get bored of skinless chicken with brown rice & steamed veggies! :ROFL:

hughpam
05-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Wifey and I steam everything. We use crushed garlic and basalmic vinegar in the water. It just takes steaming to the next level.

Our favorites are zuccinni, artichokes, and red potatoes cut up. Anything is great though. I love califlower and she LOVES brocci-flower. Use Butter Buds or Molly McButter on them.

This rocks!

Another thing I LOVE is wild rice cooked in chicken broth. You can get wild rice in bulk at Winco. I have heard it's at Trader Joes, too.

I love eating healthy. I have a great love for raw baby spinach too. Try it.

One last thing. The highest fiber food out there? Apples. No kidding. Eat a lot of them, and blueberries. They are high in anti-oxidants.

Have you heard of the SWAB diet? It's spinach, winter squash, apples and blue berries. You can eat other stuff, but these combined contain the best fiber, anti-oxidants, and other great stuff, that your body needs. They are combined to be called "Super foods" for this reason.

Troutman65
05-19-2009, 07:52 AM
I like to put some olive oil in a pan and add sliced zuccinni, yellow crook neck squash, diced onions, garlic, & some Mrs. Dash Salt free seasoning and stir fry it. I will have some bow tie pasta ( or any kind of pasta ) going at the same time. When Veggies are done to your liking , I put the pasta on a plate then place the veggies on top. :Envious:

peanut88
05-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Hello Sue.

Try pan frying cabbage. Heat skillet w/ oil & garlic. Add cabbage, black pepper and a bit of chicken stock. Cook till soft and wilted.

Another take on squash.

Heat skillet w/ oil & margarine, add squash (any type or mixed), pepper & garlic powder & chicken stock. Cook till softened.

My wife & kids like these recepies @ home & outdoors. Enjoy

Cangler
06-16-2009, 03:44 PM
No more spotted dick ?

http://www.englishteastore.com/cak004.html

sansou
06-16-2009, 04:27 PM
LOL @ spotted dick!!

Here's a "vegetable" for you Sue (I think, not 100% what this really is): http://www.vegemite.com.au/vegemite/page?PagecRef=1

Troutman65
06-19-2009, 08:25 PM
No more spotted dick ?

http://www.englishteastore.com/cak004.html

You English folks.:ROFL:

Oz
06-19-2009, 09:36 PM
long string beans with some black pepper and a lil teriyaki sauce is good in a frying pan.

also some green onions in foil with some garlic and butter. grill them on the bbq.

~larissa
06-19-2009, 10:30 PM
hey sue... i was once in your boat and brought it down alot with exercise as well as changing my diet. a good veggie recipe is fried green beans with garlic.

-fresh green beans
-minced garlic (i usually buy the one in the jar with the juice in it)
-olive oil
-sea salt
-pepper
-basil
-green onions (scallions) use the white tips

warm up the pan with olive oil about 3 teaspoons
then add about 1 1/2 teaspoons of minced garlic
then add the about 1/2 teaspoon of basil
then add the scallions, use as much to your liking, i usually use 2 nice stripps and cut up the white part
once the garlic starts to brown add a pinch of sea salt and pepper
then add the green beans.

cook the green beans for about 2 minutes, dont over cook, you want them still crunchy and not soggy.

enjoy

really_drunk
06-22-2009, 09:15 PM
great thread sue!!! down w/ zocor (my prescription:Sad:)!!! long live good (healthy :Razz:) food !! keep the recipies coming....*grabs notepad and cooking apron*...

tall tales
07-01-2009, 02:09 PM
heres one you can do on the bbq. red, yellow, orange bell peppers quatered
yellow and italian squash quartered
mushrooms
granulated garlic 1tblsp
balsamic vinegar 1/2 cup
olive oil 1/4 cup
mix all together let sit for 30min then Q it up till tender.

also it good as a cold salad just add cruton aand toss. enjoy

Troutman65
07-04-2009, 09:20 AM
heres one you can do on the bbq. red, yellow, orange bell peppers quatered
yellow and italian squash quartered
mushrooms
granulated garlic 1tblsp
balsamic vinegar 1/2 cup
olive oil 1/4 cup
mix all together let sit for 30min then Q it up till tender.

also it good as a cold salad just add cruton aand toss. enjoy

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM sounds tasty. I will have try this one very soon.
Thanks for posting:Big Grin:

Daryl
07-08-2009, 10:33 AM
http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

Just click on any of the foods listed here and you can read about the nutritional value and all the health benefits each food provides. You will also find some basic storage and preparation information.

Eat as many raw veggies as you can. Here's a salad, inspired by tabbouleh, that I try to eat at least once per day. (Most of these ingredients I grow in the backyard)

10 cherry tomatoes halved
1/2 large cucumber sliced
1/4 sweet onion sliced
1/2 sliced red bell pepper
1/2 bunch curly parsley chopped fine
A few fresh basil leaves chopped fine
3 table spoons of lemon juice
a little olive oil, balsamic and dried mint to taste
Salt pepper

You can add or substitute amounts or ingredients to suit your tastes, i.e. crumbled blue or feta cheese, but the key is to eat a lot of raw veggies.

BrownTrout
07-28-2009, 03:27 PM
that sounds awesome. my wife and i started the "paleo diet" a while back. we eat more veggies, fruit, lean meat, and nuts than we ever have in our lives. you should see my refrigerator. i am on the paleo diet for athletes, a little different but no grains, dairy, or salt for either of us anymore. that recipe will fit well and it sounds great. thanks for sharing.

Goofy4fish
07-28-2009, 03:44 PM
BBQ's slamon, halibat, or swordfish, lightly buttered, (country crock)
asperagus in foil, brush with olive oil & basalmic vinegar, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, throw on BBQ with the fish of choice. You could also do a couple of ears of corn on the cob. Voila dinner is served!!!!!!!!!!!!!