PDA

View Full Version : Bluegill as bait

horgaszapacban
05-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Hi all,

this is my first post, even though I've been reading the forum for a long time.
I live in the LA area, but once or twice a year we make a 2-3 days trip to the Colorado
River. Next weekend we'll be down near Walter's Camp.
I always like the reports from Desert Cat and Bluehunter, they really know the science...
Congratulations!
And now my question:
how you rig the bluegill? Just a simple slider sinker and the leader on a swivel? Or even
on a floater?
What is the hook size?

Thanks
horgaszapacban

bluehunter
05-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Get some kahle hooks from bass pro shops size 10/0. You can use 8/0 to 10/0 regular J's. You need to rig your stuff up carolina style. I like using a size 5 ounce to 6 ounce weight about 2 feet above the hook. The weights I like are the no roll sinkers but you can using egg style sinkers or even pyramids. You need to have a leader tied up to a swivel. The leader should follow the swivel weight the weight above it.

Hook the gills in the below the back area by the tail. This give the gills the most action to move and attract the flats.

You can also use floaters too but there is a science to doing that and I do not use it on the river or canal. However they are a good choice for fishing the coachella walking the embankments but I have not tried that yet. Desert Cat is the man for that info.

B

horgaszapacban
06-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks bluehunter,

actually that's how I did on Memorial weekend. We went down to (for me) a new spot
to the South from Walter's Camp. There is an island in the river and a small canal or bay
next to the campsite.
We didn't catch huge ones, the biggest was cca. 6 pounds.
I rigged the bluegill, set my reel to freeline. How I said, we did not catch any monster,
but I managed some of the 3-4 pounders (channels) from the river using bluegill files as
bait with my lighter set up. Strange thing they did not want the anchovy they wanted the
bluegill meat.
I guess you really need a boat to search for the holes and snags on the river to find the
big flats.
We had a great time cooking some Hungarian lamb stew, grilling some meat and having
beer breathed fights with the mosquitos.
I didn't take any pictures unfortunately, but I hope there will be time for me and my
buddies to get there again soon.

tight lines

horgaszapacban

bluehunter
06-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Sounds like a good time out there. Its been a minute for me and will not get out there till the flatmasters event. But after that I will give it a go out there for a while likely after teh 4th of July and cruise and hit a few zones for a few days. A boat is helpful in looking for areas but you can score from the bank too so its just a matter of being on them at teh right time and a little luck.