PDA

View Full Version : Havasu Striper Derby 2009

JENSEN500
05-18-2009, 10:48 AM
a quick recap...very slow, we ended up with 3 fish to weigh in on sat. and was in 85th place out of 246 teams! there were over 100 teams that didnt weigh in fish on sat. sunday we weighed in 2 fish.

painfully slow! there were some hogs caught though. a 31lb fish on sat,a buddy of mine got a 25 on sunday along with a 27 cuaght by someone else sunday. these fish are huge and ugly. i took a pic of the 31 lb'r and wil post more later

we also met some of you guys from this site. pleasure to meet all of you!

jeff

olefrog
05-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Printable Version | E-mail | Comment (No comments posted.) | Rate | Text Size
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jensen a c&p from the Havasu paper to-day
Heck ya had a good time so you did not loose.
ta ta ole frog

The team of David Wakefield and Jerry Crosswhite are all smiles as they hold their first place trophies. The pair pulled in 20 fishing weighing 60.92 pounds to win the 26th Annual Western Outdoor News Lake Havasu Striper Derby this weekend.
Big fish, big wins at Havasu WON Striper Derby

David Wakefield and Jerry Crosswhite pulled in the big catch at the 26th Annual Western Outdoor News Lake Havasu Striper Derby this weekend. Just don’t ask them where they caught all those fish.

The duo pulled in 10 fish each day of the two-day tourney, with a final total of 60.92 pounds.

“We fished up north on the river and the first was not very good,” said Wakefield. “So today we watched on place and that’s where we pulled in the 15-pounder. I remember the winner last year said stay at one place, be patient and chum the hole. And that’s what we did.”

Wake Field and Crosswhite were just 2-pounds ahead of second place’s Joe Schlater and Ken Cirks, who finished with a total of 58-87 pounds. What makes their showing most impressive is the team was skunked on the first day of fishing.

“We just didn’t get a bite the first day,” said Schlater. “But we had a good day today, fishing downriver. And that’s all I can say about where we caught them.”

They had the day’s big fish at 27.96 pounds but not the biggest for the tournament. That came on Day 1 courtesy of Randall Copeland and Mike Alvarado. The team netted a striper weighing in at 31.12 pounds, helping them to a fourth place finish overall.

“We got him in mid-river,” said Copeland. “He was spooling us big time. “We tuna fish all the time so that’s how we played him. It took about 45 minutes to land him and I thought we lost him a couple of times. We he came out of the water, my hook was just barely in his mouth.”

Third place went to Bill Viramontes and Stefan Orebo with a two-day weight of 56.38 pounds.

“It was slow fishing. Slower compared to last year,” said Viramontes. You had to throw a lot of chum out there.”

In the Family Challenge races, the team of Monty and Lindsey Walker won the father-daughter competition with a total of 20.97 pounds, all coming on Sunday’s final day of fishing. The father-son title went to David and Brandon Bolles who hauled in 38.14 pounds. And the husband-wife team of Mike and Windi Palmer took home a prize thanks to a total catch weighing 42.76 pounds.

The winner of raffle for the grand prize of a new Nitro X5 bass boat, equipped with a 115HP Mercury motor, valued around $20,000, was Scott George, of Temecula, Calif.

“Our numbers were down about 12 percent but I think that’s just a function of the economy,” said Tournament Director Bill Hutchinson. “And the fishing was a little slow this year. But everybody was still into it.”

A total of 246 teams signed up for the tourney with 177 teams weighing 1,014 fish totaling 2,245.65 pounds

RRTGuy
05-18-2009, 04:14 PM
yah seems what I've read and 2 local guides I talked to, most of the fish were caught in the inlet from the river to lake. Makes sense I guess.

Megsdad
05-18-2009, 11:18 PM
I was at Havasu this weekend, just got back a few hrs ago. Saw many fishermen all over the lake, and yes it looked sloooooow. Was not in the tournement but stayed at Sand point, where a few teams were, talked to a few guys and they confirmed that the fishing wasn't as good this year (for them anyway).

Joe

JENSEN500
05-19-2009, 09:18 AM
I was at Havasu this weekend, just got back a few hrs ago. Saw many fishermen all over the lake, and yes it looked sloooooow. Was not in the tournement but stayed at Sand point, where a few teams were, talked to a few guys and they confirmed that the fishing wasn't as good this year (for them anyway).

Joe

i saw there was an ambulance headed in there on sunday, do you know what happened?

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-19-2009, 12:12 PM
yah seems what I've read and 2 local guides I talked to, most of the fish were caught in the inlet from the river to lake. Makes sense I guess.

Yeah, that makes 100% sense to me, I was considering that area due to cooler water temps relative to the flow.

Congrats Jeff on the 5 fish you and Kris landed during the tournament, it was ROUGH going out there.

Some HARSH condiditions and a HARSH bite.

It was great meeting you guys out there, as I mention, my only regret is that I didnt get more oportunity to hang out with everyone.

I had a blast, I'll put up a non tournament report either later today or in the morning, just getting caught up on work right now.

How bout some pics of ur fish ?

JENSEN500
05-19-2009, 03:58 PM
My daughter and I won the father/daughter division. We caught all our fish on Sunday morning early, whew! Hit a spot that was on. We caught 11 and lost about 5. I was chumming every 15 minutes with a handfull and changing bait often. I only used 14 bags of chovies for both days. I usually fish up river and do well, but the river was real slow, and the filming of the movie was difficult with access.

I also troll and caught a six pounder last year within site of the Nautical, but did not catch anything trolling this year.

I stayed over on Monday and fished the same spot and caught 10 more fish, including two 3 pounders between 5:30-8:00am. It was crazy and wish I did that on Saturday...

M

The filming thing didnt bother us in the water but was a pain around the house. they were filming on the other side of the block from us and most of the street was shut off at different times during the week.

we caught the few tourny fish (5) all on the troll. never caught a bait and wait fish. did manage 1 2lbr on a spook sunday.

had fun either way and have a few pics of fish and a drunk guy we talked into wearing a girls BOOYAA shirt.

pics of a float plane that landed by us and a pic of the 31 pounder caught on saturday.
jeff

KID CREOLE
05-20-2009, 06:00 AM
Yes the fishing was slower than it has been in the pass for me and my boat partner. We fished the entire lake during our prefish days Weds, Thurs and Friday. The only concentrations of fish were very small 8 to 12" fish in the extreme south part of the lake. We stumbled on to a small area of fish that bit for us both days but for only an hour or so each day.

We managed a dozen fish on saturday and 16 on sunday and caught two of these for third place

http://www.bloodydecks.com/gallery/files/8/9/1/havasuderbytrophy.jpg

sansou
05-20-2009, 07:36 AM
Congrats Kid Creole!

I have got to imagine that this being a rather large tourney this put you guys in money somehow....which is extra nice!

Thats a bunch of teams of guys that all were vying for the same trophy, and you guys beat them to get to top 3....very cool!

Big Country
05-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Nice pics Jeff...The new boat looks like a fishing machine.

I still can't imagine a 25 lber on a top water plug...hope that happens for me some day.

KID CREOLE
05-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Congrats Kid Creole!

I have got to imagine that this being a rather large tourney this put you guys in money somehow....which is extra nice!

Thats a bunch of teams of guys that all were vying for the same trophy, and you guys beat them to get to top 3....very cool!

sansou,

Thanks, we got like $1500.00 worth of gifts and prizes, some stuff we can use, some probably not!

We just can't seem to win that thing but we have a great time trying!