PDA

View Full Version : Cool things on a jetty(no fish-no pics)

klocked
05-18-2009, 10:10 AM
I haven't fished in 3 weeks and yesterday was finally my day to get out there again.
Arrived at a new destination to do some fishing from the sand but once I got to the
water, I found it full of salad as far as the eye could see. Salad so thick it made the
water look nearly black.

Since there was a jetty close by, I thought I'd give it a shot from there. Found some
water clear of the salad as I walked out onto the jetty and started working the d/s.
No halibut to be found on either side. I continued to the tip of the jetty and found the
water so clear I could almost see the bottom.

I also started seeing other signs of life..... like Calico Bass..... nice sized ones.....
darting out of the rocks to devour their meals (possibly dines). I myself have never
seen a sight like this from a jetty. Very excited about what I discovered, I quickly rigged
up my bass rod with a 4" gulp minnow on a 3/8 leadhead.

There were 5 or 6 rocks positioned in the water that formed somewhat of a bowl and
these Calicos would dart from the edges toward the center to devour their meals.
I made my 1st cast with my gulp swimmy to the rock farthest out and swam it back
to me when out of the rocks comes this big Calico at the last second to attack my bait.
When this happens, my bait was nearly on the surface and I was reeling in to recast.
The fish pushed a big wave of water on the surface and stops dead in his tracks,
sinks a bit, then darts away. I think he saw me! And I saw him too!!

I thought for sure I would land one but it ended up being a 2 hour farm job with lots of
getting rocked, short bit, fish appearing to be hooked and coming all the way out of
the water then letting go, etc..... I also went through an entire bag of gulp and got
to see a big shark slowly swim by at the very end of the jetty. After running out of Gulp,
I took my son to SEA lab in Redondo Beach and watched them feed the halibut and other
fish in their outdoor tank. It was cool to see that the butts were the most aggresive of
them all.

Then back home to watch the Lakers commit themselves to the conference finals!

I plan on having my way with these fish at this spot sooner or later :LOL:

Thanks for reading my long fishless report :Envious:

Klocked

troutdog
05-18-2009, 10:37 AM
Sounds like a great way to spend the day, thanks for sharing!

TD

Wingnut
05-18-2009, 11:20 AM
This is the best pic-less & fish-less report I've ever read. :LOL:
Sounds like a fun day regardless of the fish count John... good to see you out there. :Cool:

klocked
05-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Sounds like a great way to spend the day, thanks for sharing!

TD

Thanks TD, It was the most fun I've ever had "farming fish" LOL

klocked
05-18-2009, 01:31 PM
This is the best pic-less & fish-less report I've ever read. :LOL:
Sounds like a fun day regardless of the fish count John... good to see you out there. :Cool:

Thanks Arthur, it was a blast being able to watch the fish attack my bait on nearly every cast. I just need some practice with my timing... I either swung too soon or not soon enough every time. :Rolls Eyes:

KevinJALax
05-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Poke poling! Try that, it works.

klocked
05-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Poke poling! Try that, it works.

LOL, that might work but I just cant see walking out onto the beach with a 10' long piece of pvc

flyngby
05-23-2009, 08:19 PM
John,

Missed this report due to being on overload but a great read and it must have been frustrating day to watch it happen time and time again and not get them!:Angry:

We will schedule a return to NPH together as soon as your son gets his summer break from school!!!:Wink:

Steve

klocked
05-24-2009, 09:09 PM
John,

Missed this report due to being on overload but a great read and it must have been frustrating day to watch it happen time and time again and not get them!:Angry:

We will schedule a return to NPH together as soon as your son gets his summer break from school!!!:Wink:

Steve

Thanks Steve, it was just a matter of adjusting my set-up. I didn't have the right sized leadheads with me and
when I finally used the right sized ones, I was able to hook...... two. :Rolls Eyes: But once I get the hang of it, I'm sure
I'll stick some bigger models from that spot:Twisted:

As far as the trip back to NPH, I'm really looking forward to that because since the last time we went out on
your boat, it seems I've lost my little fishing buddy to other interests for a while.