PDA

View Full Version : 1st King of the Cats Qualifier- June 13th!

vineline
05-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Good afternoon FNN:

Let me update you on our Catfish derby's this summer and our "King of the Cats Invitational".
On a previous post we advertised that the First Qualifier would be on Friday June 12th opening night.

We have modified that first tournament to Saturday June 13th instead.

June 12th - Opener
June 13th - 1st King of the Cats Qualifier
July 4th - Independence Day Derby - 2nd King of the Cats Qualifier
Aug 15th - Mid Summer Nights Dream - 3rd King of the Cats Qualifier
Sept. 5th - Labor Day Weekend Derby - 4th and Final King of the Cats Qualifier.

All the Qualifying tournaments will be 1 night only.

40 of the Best Catfishermen in So Cal will compete for:

$1000.00
"King" or "Queen" of the Cats Champions Jacket.
Summer Season Pass
Trophy

The 40 finalist will compete for the Title on Oct. 10th. The "King of the Cats" Invitational will be an all night event. The Finalists will be competing from 10:00 p.m. until 7:00 a.m. the following morning. After weigh-ins we will have a Huge Breakfast and Awards Ceremony and at 8:00 a.m. we will crown the 1st King or Queen.

I am currently still working on the details of these derbys and the rules that will apply. Stay tuned for further information.

P.s. - Patrolmen now have night vision equipment for these derby's.
Do not risk disqualification by breaking tournament rules.
All rules and limits will be strctly enforced.

See you at the scales,
Meow!
Vineline

fish ful
05-18-2009, 01:33 PM
I saw that friday was a tagged catfish tournament. Will that only be for friday or will tagged fish sat. work too?

What are the times for the 13th? What is the cost to enter?

LunkerLover
05-18-2009, 03:48 PM
yee-haw! Can not wait! :lol:

Sue
05-18-2009, 10:01 PM
I saw that friday was a tagged catfish tournament. Will that only be for friday or will tagged fish sat. work too?

Hmmm, which part of the "I am currently still working on the details of the tournament" did you not quite get?

Mondo21
05-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Darn I'll miss out! I will be out of state! Cindy:Big Grin:

troutdog
05-21-2009, 10:21 AM
TM65 with night vision equipment...NICE, Blart ain't got nuttin on ya now braddah! :Wink:

TD

vineline
05-21-2009, 12:23 PM
i saw that friday was a tagged catfish tournament. Will that only be for friday or will tagged fish sat. Work too?

there is no tagged fish tournament scheduled as of yet.
The tournament on the 13th will start at 6 a.m. Since our hours are from 6 a.m. Until 2:oo a.m.
We will be strictly enforcing the limits laws.
No catch and release.
If you start fishing the tournament early in the day we will be checking your limits frequently. If you go over the 5 fish limit you will be disqualified. If you are about to go over your limit it would be wise to purchase a second limit pass for $17 which will get you 5 more cats.
Do not catch and release during tournaments, you will be diqualified if you are caught.

Please keep in mind that our patrolmen are equipped with night vision. If anyone is caught breaking tournament rules they will be disqualified immediately.

fishpimp4life
05-21-2009, 02:44 PM
So what is the weigh-in time? Previous tourmanents have ended at 11:00.

LunkerLover
05-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Wait a minute .... there's no standard culling system? If we catch MORE than 5 keepable fish throughout the tourney, we have to keep paying Irvine Lake?

Did I read you right?

bluehunter
05-21-2009, 07:53 PM
Will the 20 plus pound release rule still be in affect for us that want to release them? I am sure that that will still be honored right?

Hitts0n
05-21-2009, 09:37 PM
TM65 with night vision equipment...NICE, Blart ain't got nuttin on ya now braddah! :Wink:

TD

You beat me to the bunch ! :ROFL::ROFL:

occschemguy
05-22-2009, 12:34 AM
ill be there for sure, im on this

vineline
05-23-2009, 05:30 AM
Will the 20 plus pound release rule still be in affect for us that want to release them? I am sure that that will still be honored right?

Yes, that will be honored. We will put a scale at the dock for the really big ones.

Final weigh in will be at 11:00 p.m. as always.

Re: The 5 fish limit rule and 2nd limit passes
The Lake/tournament rules will be enforced as always. If you have been catching and releasing or have been catching over your limits at Irvine Lake then you have been breaking the rules. All of our tournament entry forms clearly state that you cannot go over limits or catch and release.
If you are about to go over your limit you must always purchase a second limit pass.
Only Bass is catch and release.
These rules are no different from previous years.

Vineline

vineline
05-23-2009, 05:32 AM
Wait a minute .... there's no standard culling system? If we catch MORE than 5 keepable fish throughout the tourney, we have to keep paying Irvine Lake?

Did I read you right?

You read it right.
At no time are you allowed to catch and release or go over your limits at Irvine Lake.

LunkerLover
05-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Oh well - count me, my brother, and Dad out. :Sad:

Just can't understand being FORCED to keep all little 1 lb dink cats (that should be released immediately to thrive and grow bigger) and pay $20 for every 5 I catch ...

Have fun guys ... :Smile:

MAVERICK27
06-03-2009, 07:08 PM
I may have to side with Lunker on this one...the skill is right out the window. anyone can limit on cats in that amount of time...It ends up being luck of the draw as far as what decides to bite your line. No skill in that. I like tourneys that compliment your skill and that way the reward is something to be proud of and even get ya some FNN bragging rights. Its a better idea to toss back the little ones for the population sake and for fun fishing on other days for other folks like kids.

Don't beat me up too much, its just my opinion.

troutdog
06-03-2009, 11:07 PM
I may have to side with Lunker on this one...the skill is right out the window. anyone can limit on cats in that amount of time...It ends up being luck of the draw as far as what decides to bite your line. No skill in that. I like tourneys that compliment your skill and that way the reward is something to be proud of and even get ya some FNN bragging rights. Its a better idea to toss back the little ones for the population sake and for fun fishing on other days for other folks like kids.

Don't beat me up too much, its just my opinion.

Wassup MAV aka NPH Slayer, long time no see buddy!

I'm sure you already know I got nothin but love for ya and my response is by no means meant as a beat down...so don't take it that way, I just wanted to give you something to think about, ruffle your feathers a little and I'll look forward to your response :Wink:

I am not sure how much catfishing you and Lunker did last season, but 1lb cats were more the exception then the rule....I would be happy to post pics of multiple limits from last season to prove my case. Would I prefer the option to throw smaller fish back? Of course I would, but this rule applied to trout so its not anything new for Vine fisherman like ourselves.

I was wondering why you think there is no skill in catfish tourneys and merely a matter of "being luck of the draw as far as what decides to bite your line"....I mean what type of tourney exactly compliments your skill? I am going to assume you mean a bass tourney, because according to your theory a trout tourney is only a matter of luck too....both are primarily bait and wait options correct? That being the case why is that anglers such as DoctorHook or Big Chris are landing big fish and placing in the money so often...after all they are "just soaking bait" like everyone else, are they really that lucky or is there something else to it? In my opinion it is the latter.

Same thing with catfish....why is it guys like Catmando and Team Trolltoon bring in the big big fish and hefty limits to the scales year after year? Are they "just lucky"...afterall we are all just soaking chunks of mackeral right?

So how about a friendly little wager...you name the stakes. Lets pick a Saturday when Doctorhook, Trollmeister, Pontoon, Mitz the "magic man", and ourselves are on the water....I say all the previously mentioned anglers outfish you and not because of luck! :LOL:

BTW...."good luck" out there this season :Wink:

See you soon MAV,

TD

Fisherman57
06-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Wassup MAV aka NPH Slayer, long time no see buddy!

I'm sure you already know I got nothin but love for ya and my response is by no means meant as a beat down...so don't take it that way, I just wanted to give you something to think about, ruffle your feathers a little and I'll look forward to your response :Wink:

I am not sure how much catfishing you and Lunker did last season, but 1lb cats were more the exception then the rule....I would be happy to post pics of multiple limits from last season to prove my case. Would I prefer the option to throw smaller fish back? Of course I would, but this rule applied to trout so its not anything new for Vine fisherman like ourselves.

I was wondering why you think there is no skill in catfish tourneys and merely a matter of "being luck of the draw as far as what decides to bite your line"....I mean what type of tourney exactly compliments your skill? I am going to assume you mean a bass tourney, because according to your theory a trout tourney is only a matter of luck too....both are primarily bait and wait options correct? That being the case why is that anglers such as DoctorHook or Big Chris are landing big fish and placing in the money so often...after all they are "just soaking bait" like everyone else, are they really that lucky or is there something else to it? In my opinion it is the latter.

Same thing with catfish....why is it guys like Catmando and Team Trolltoon bring in the big big fish and hefty limits to the scales year after year? Are they "just lucky"...afterall we are all just soaking chunks of mackeral right?

So how about a friendly little wager...you name the stakes. Lets pick a Saturday when Doctorhook, Trollmeister, Pontoon, Mitz the "magic man", and ourselves are on the water....I say all the previously mentioned anglers outfish you and not because of luck! :LOL:

BTW...."good luck" out there this season :Wink:

See you soon MAV,

TD

I understand and support Irvine Lakes tourney rules & regulations.....

BUT..... I gotta agree with TD..... my money would be on Art, Terry & Chris!

http://fishinghotpage.com/users/tmp3/IMG_1323.jpg

I remember the night Terry called me about this fish....

ring..... ring..... ring.......

Dana: Hello?

Terry: Hey Dana, whats going on?

Dana: Oh, Wingnut and I are here at the Hill having a couple catfish platter dinners....

Terry: Oh yeah, well I caught a pretty good one tonight.

Dana: Oh yeah, how big?

Terry: I dunno... maybe 45 pounds or so.

Terry: Hello?

Terry: Hello?

Wingnut: Hi Terry, Dana passed out........

http://fishinghotpage.com/users/tmp3/600_add916001.jpg

and I don't think Granny Fish even smudged her nail polish when she landed this titan! LOL!

http://fishinghotpage.com/users/tmp3/grannyfish_127.jpg

Been a lot of great summers at Irvine Lake.....
Good luck! Just givin' ya a hard time Mav.....

BigBass777
06-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Those guys catch big catfish probably because they have the time on the lake and know it well. Big catfish like wooded brush, and (sandpits) or holes in the lake. They sit in them for some reason. Like others I'm not familiar with Irvine Lakes bottom contour. So yeah!! A 20bler would be cool to catch. I wouldn't want to keep a bunch of 1lb catfish either. The rule is set so everybody has a fair chance in the tourney. They could offset the prize money for big fish with tagging smaller catfish with prizes so anglers keep them. At least an angler is put in a win win situation. Not everyone will get caught tho. It's hard to watch everybody.

Lake Mission Viejo has a new rule system being implemented or in the works. The rules are much like Irivne Lake. Get caught and you'll pay for it big time now. Our trout tournaments also have a strict rule of no releasing of trout. It's about to get even tougher with repeated offenders getting caught. You'll be disqualified, pass be taken away and kicked off the lake for any length of time, and be fined a minimum of $25.00. Catch over 4 fish and it's $25.00 per fish.

troutdog
06-04-2009, 12:02 AM
Those guys catch big catfish probably because they have the time on the lake and know it well. Big catfish like wooded brush, and (sandpits) or holes in the lake. They sit in them for some reason. Like others I'm not familiar with Irvine Lakes bottom contour. So yeah!! A 20bler would be cool to catch. I wouldn't want to keep a bunch of 1lb catfish either. The rule is set so everybody has a fair chance in the tourney. They could offset the prize money for big fish with tagging smaller catfish with prizes so anglers keep them. At least an angler is put in a win win situation. Not everyone will get caught tho. It's hard to watch everybody.

Knowledge/time put in = success, not exactly a novel concept and applies to basically every fish that swims....just like how you knew exactly where the trout were at MVL right? (thanks for putting the kids on the fish that day btw!) regardles I would still take any of the previously mentioned anglers in a rental over "average Joe" on a personal craft with all the high tech electronics available to man. Your theory will be put to the test this year as the lake level is almost twice what it was last season. So there goes "knowing" the lake for now.

I don't think there is any debating this...who wants a bunch of dink catfish for a $22 entry fee, you can follow the dfg trucks to the city park if that is what you want.

You must not have seen the thread when they did exactly what you described...

See you on the water in couple weeks Dave :Wink:

TD

MAVERICK27
06-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Td...no offense taken at all. The biggest difference is...catfish are much much much easier to catch than trout and bass. On a decent day, if you find a decent spot, you can limit in an hour. That is the situation where which fish in that spot bites. Yes skill plays a part, a huge part. But there is no way that you can make the 20 lbr bite versus the 1-2 lbr. If someone knows how to do just that...i stand corrected and want to learn this jedi secret hahaha. My only deciding reason for my post was that trout tourneys dont go from 6am to 2 am. Big difference. I dont like to limit quick and go home. I like to enjoy the lake and relax for the duration of the paid day.

As for making wagers...sorry thats not why i fish. I could care less about bragging or being so competetive that i need to snag or chase trucks. I fish to relax, be social and spend family time. I freely admit i am no pro fisherman. I do fairly well and have a blast. Im happy. 90% of my fishing knowledge came from other people and/or time and testing on the lake.

As for cats, i cut my teeth on cats at the vine, then turned to trout. Gettin nice fish and limiting on cats in season is really not very difficult. I am tired and hope i make sense..but i do not have issues with the rules, i would just rather fish cats on a regular day.

Last point....it takes much more skill for trout versus cats..they are more finicky and line shy and much much more bait and rigging choices. Besides, they are transitory school fish that move alot. So, i take your points and agree with some, but not on that one...is that ok to agree to disagree?

Disclaimer: I love lake irvine and its staff and support its rules and follow them to the letter.....and yes td, i still love you too

p.s. Sorry for the caps, keyboard acting up at work. I'll switch it up later :)

troutdog
06-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Nice response Mav, you make some very good points....and like you I agree with some and others not so much. I truely appreciate a classy response from a fellow FNN member and knew I would get one from you.

Just a little feedback. If you are targeting a double digit vs 1-3lb catfish I think the old adage "big fish big bait" about sums it up. IMO there is more of a "luck" factor to have a 6+lb trout eat your bait than a 1lb dink. The setup is basically the same...that gumball sized powerbait has just as much chance enticing a larger fish as it does a smaller, just as that half inflated crawler/power egg combo is equally effective catching big fish as well as small ones. I agree trout fishing is more of a finesse game and those anglers who make the subtle adjustments while bait fishing are more likely to catch more fish and of course increase the chance of catching a larger fish. I think the same could be said about trolling.

Personally I think it would be great to be able to catch and release smaller grade cats especailly when you can fish for 20 hours. I have thrown catfish in the bottom of the boat and had them live all day long, so I can't be convinced shaking a dink cat off the hook is going to kill it...I hope one day the "Vine Brass" would consider this. With a fragile trout I can understand, but lets face it this is a business and Irvine is in it to make money and having anglers buying a 2nd pass is certainly a way to do so.

Like you I got nothing but good things to say about the Vine staff and support their rules.

Thanks again for the respectful response Mav, now come on....I'll bet you a cup of coffee I land a bigger cat than you next weekend! :Wink:

See you on the water buddy,

TD

LunkerLover
06-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Personally I think it would be great to be able to catch and release smaller grade cats especailly when you can fish for 20 hours. I have thrown catfish in the bottom of the boat and had them live all day long, so I can't be convinced shaking a dink cat off the hook is going to kill it...I hope one day the "Vine Brass" would consider this. With a fragile trout I can understand, but lets face it this is a business and Irvine is in it to make money and having anglers buying a 2nd pass is certainly a way to do so.

TD

well said ... I have MAD respect for Irvine and its staff.

It's just a bummer that a 14-hour tournament could end-up costing me not only my reg. fees but over $100 for all the cats I bring in. Just wish the dinkies could be released and we could cull the top 5.

Oh well....

troutdog
06-04-2009, 12:10 PM
well said ... I have MAD respect for Irvine and its staff.

It's just a bummer that a 14-hour tournament could end-up costing me not only my reg. fees but over $100 for all the cats I bring in. Just wish the dinkies could be released and we could cull the top 5.

Oh well....

I agree with you on both fronts, thanks for the feedback LL.

TD

saintarv
06-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks again for the respectful response Mav, now come on....I'll bet you a cup of coffee I land a bigger cat than you next weekend! :Wink:

Don't bet TD. Last time we had a bet I lost a gate pass. :ROFL:

Santa Fe Eric
06-04-2009, 01:40 PM
I bet that no one on FNN makes better home made cookies than Troutdog! Anyone who thinks they can prove me wrong, you show up with those cookies. I'll eat them and make my decision, but I know TD makes the best....and luck has nothing to do with it!:Razz:

No Mav! We are not going to have a cutest twins contest just so you can win something:Razz:.
You would win, hands down.

I wish that all of the debates on FNN could be done with as much respect!

Santa Fe

Rooster
06-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Mav for the WIN! Cya when Trout season begins :Shocked:

Troutman65
06-04-2009, 08:28 PM
I don't think it would be wise to bet Troutdog. He has mad skillz.:Envious:

ghetto dad
06-04-2009, 09:18 PM
fiver on TD to win....lol

have fun everyone....

GD

KittyKiller
06-05-2009, 06:47 AM
This is something I'm interested in 4sho

BingJr
06-05-2009, 08:36 AM
LET THEM GO! LET THEM GROW!

Love mav, Love Td but...

Cats much much tuffer to catch that trouts!

I fish 1/2 lb leader when I am catting and the 1lbrs always break my leader. So keeping dinks hasn't been an issue as to date!

MAVERICK27
06-05-2009, 11:03 AM
GREAT POINTS AS WELL TD!! BRAVO. AND BINGER IS JUST INSTIGATING :)

I MAY JUST TAKE THAT BET....NOT TO BE BOASTFUL OR ANYTHING....JUST TO BE ABLE TO SAY TO TD 9NOT IN PUBLIC OR ON THE NET...."My cat is bigger than yours, BUT CRVZ's cat is bigger than both of ours" HAAHAHAHA!!!

Either way, always a pleasure fishing with you on the lake!! Maybe we can even get Binger out there!!

SFE...you crack me up...What if I use the babies as bait...then how big would the cat be???? :)

Santa Fe Eric
06-05-2009, 12:55 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

BingJr
06-05-2009, 01:13 PM
:LOL:

How did CRVS cat get brought in to this?

:ROFL:

MAVERICK27
06-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Cuz she out fishes me probably 75% of the time...size wise. And since i out fish td..then hahahaha im kidding

BingJr
06-05-2009, 03:07 PM
So,

My $ is on TURTLE!!!!!:Envious:

MAVERICK27
06-05-2009, 05:19 PM
hahahahahaha...great inside joke!!