PDA

View Full Version : Releasing carp?

hughpam
05-18-2009, 09:43 AM
I have always taken the side of not releasing carp. We have all heard that they do damage to the beds of other desirable fish, and breed like germs.

Whats your take? Release or not?

boxl0bster
05-18-2009, 12:37 PM
i think it depends on the lake. like elsinore id kill them all.

FishermanStu
05-18-2009, 12:56 PM
release them to the trash can

bassinnut
05-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Use them as fertlizer

Cangler
05-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Release ... at least they dont fight like wet paper bags ....

jimmy951
05-18-2009, 01:54 PM
release them to the trash can

amen brother!

bass assassin#23
05-18-2009, 04:02 PM
i dont release carp because the are a problem and some times permanently damage a lake or river. such as lake the mohave, that place is over run with carp. hate them think there a threat to good lakes.

bass assassin#23

troutdog
05-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Seems wrong to take them out of the small local city park lakes....yet makes sense to rid them from lakes like Mojave, Big bear etc, but it always seems a shame to kill anything if it is not going to be put to some sort of use.

TD

Fish Dog
05-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Title 14 Section 1.87 California Code of Regulations. Waste of Fish.
It is unlawful to cause or permit any deterioration or waste of any fish taken in the waters of this state.

Now, question is, is burying a carp in your garden "waste"? I don't think anyone would debate that tossing one in a trash can could be considered "waste". Seems to me I remember reading something years ago about waste of fish and at that time I remember something along the lines of "...must be utilized or buried" but I couldn't find that any more. They must have changed it over the last few years.

TShaffer
05-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Keep them in the riverbed. They're the only thing besides catfish that lives in there. Anywhere else convert them to fertilizer.

Liteliner
05-18-2009, 05:14 PM
I keep my share of carp whenever my folks feel like eating some from the local lakes. I wouldnt catch them just to killem and trashem though...

PokerFish
05-18-2009, 05:21 PM
I pretty much catch & release everything I fish for unless I'm going to eat it.

I'm an avid bass fisherman (caught hundreds of bass this year alone) but I think carp have their place in certain lakes. I realize that carp can be detrimental to other fish, bass in particular, but I believe that carp are a legitimate game fish. More importantly, many of our inner city lakes will not support large amounts of big bass but hold lots of huge carp. Pound for pound, they fight great.

ElementX
05-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Anyone seen that program on Discovery where they have that lake somewhere in the USA where they do carp catching events? Thing is.....they don't fish for them. The carp are so overrun that they are constantly jumping everywhere so basically everyone is on boats with nets. They really don't need to do anything because the fish just jump onboard.

At the end of the day, they showed how they dumped all those fish into a big hole in the ground and cover it up! I'm talking like thousands of pounds of carp.

ElementX
05-18-2009, 06:06 PM
Found it...Illinois river...Asian Silver Carp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb8OmEr7VqI

joe man
05-19-2009, 06:07 AM
Now, question is, is burying a carp in your garden "waste"? I don't think anyone would debate that tossing one in a trash can could be considered "waste". Seems to me I remember reading something years ago about waste of fish and at that time I remember something along the lines of "...must be utilized or buried" but I couldn't find that any more. They must have changed it over the last few years.

Although you are pulling this from the Regulations (I assume) I think there are exceptions. It is also in the regulations that some fish MUST be destroyed if caught. I agree that fertilizer is a none wastefull use of carp.