PDA

View Full Version : one last trip to corona..05/17/09

HelloBendo420
05-17-2009, 09:27 PM
it was dead all day at corona today. got there at 5:30am. rented a boat w/ hopes of finding the last of the trout, but had no success. fished powerbait for two hours at a few diff locations. not even a bite. we usually slay @ corona, but not today. i saw one trout caught the entire time we were there.:Crying::Crying:

switched it up and threw some mac out for the kitties. no love either.
i did manage to get my bro and cuz on some bluegill that were hitting waxworms. we caught about 50 gills total. kept 25 that were the size of my palm. :Big Grin:
i've never eaten gills before. does anyone have a good recipe?

here's the pic

sansou
05-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Sounds like you did well on the bluegill! There's no lack of them at Corona it seems.

My friend deep fries crappie filets after dredging them in finely crushed spicy doritos. Tastes great! I would imagine bluegill would taste good done the same way.

2quikmotorwerks
05-17-2009, 09:39 PM
yea i was there today to actually i was there since last nite not one damm bite the whole time i was there for that matter noone around got a bite nor caught a fish i was so pissed to bad i couldnt get my 60 bucks back or i would have. ive learned my lesson im sticking with the vine

HelloBendo420
05-17-2009, 09:42 PM
corona's usually a lot better. its just too hot. just gotta wait til next season i guess. first time i didn't limit out there all season

2quikmotorwerks
05-17-2009, 09:45 PM
corona's usually a lot better. its just too hot. just gotta wait til next season i guess. first time i didn't limit out there all seasonyea when i do fish it i slay the trout there however i could not get a fish to bite and i threw everything but the kitchen sink at the fish. howeverv i did catch a sweet buzz so i guess it wasnt all that bad

ElementX
05-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the report; sounds like the house won out today.

check out the recipes forum for the panfish thread.

The Angler
05-18-2009, 01:27 AM
yea i was there today to actually i was there since last nite not one damm bite the whole time i was there for that matter noone around got a bite nor caught a fish i was so pissed to bad i couldnt get my 60 bucks back or i would have. ive learned my lesson im sticking with the vine

Where were u fishing? I think i might have been fishing next to you. When me and my Dad got there we overheard someone complaing about being there all nite and didnt catch jack.

2quikmotorwerks
05-18-2009, 06:26 AM
Where were u fishing? I think i might have been fishing next to you. When me and my Dad got there we overheard someone complaing about being there all nite and didnt catch jack.i was in the back fishing by the trees just right of the point

working4golf
05-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Went to Corona on Sat, SKUNK. The trout were floating belly up faster than the lake crew could come by and net them.

I think it got too hot. Would suck to have spent the 60.....I felt robbed for 22.

troutdog
05-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Sounds like Corona is pretty much done....tilap and kitty action within the next month sounds like the ticket

yea when i do fish it i slay the trout there however i could not get a fish to bite and i threw everything but the kitchen sink at the fish. howeverv i did catch a sweet buzz so i guess it wasnt all that bad

That water has got to be pretty darn warm by this point....E&J 2Quick? :Wink:

TD

Fisherman57
05-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Sounds like Corona is pretty much done....tilap and kitty action within the next month sounds like the ticket

TD

The water is certainly warming as is all of Southern California......... it's simply that time of year.

The local pay lakes have been announcing for months that they are gearing up for catfish season as the weather warms and we all know that water temps usually dictate when that happens.

This is a "transitional" time of year for all the pay lakes and we've all seen a drop in trout reports & quanity of trout lately from the local pay lakes as they head towards catfish season. In fact, most of the pay lake websites already have catfish featured on their front pages and have stopped stocking trout and are stocking catfish.

IMO..... targeting trout and expecting a limit right now is at best, going to be harder than it was a few months ago.

My advice is, spend more time researching local reports, use as many sources as you can, not just one. Take the time to make a few trusted fiends on the board (guys that fish where you do) and keep in touch with them for accurate info.

Also make sure to consider the conditions, including water temps, stocking schedules and so on.... and remember, let the season get into full swing and I think you'll see a pattern develop where you can clearly make a good call as to when to go fishing and when to spend your hard earned money.

Good luck out there everyone!

Just my two cents.

BTW..... thanks for taking the time to post the report, I appreciate that!
A "50 Bluegill day" still sounds like fun.... even when they're small and released!

2quikmotorwerks
05-18-2009, 12:05 PM

TD
ok i didnt go to fish trout i was fishing for kittys,as if the trout were really gonna bite in triple digit weather being that the lake really doesnt have any deep spots. now for a lake that suposedly had been stocking cats and not one caught by anyone come on now this place just sucks

boxl0bster
05-18-2009, 12:08 PM
no cats were caught cuz i wasnt there lol. jk good job on the gills man.

Fisherman57
05-18-2009, 12:13 PM
ok i didnt go to fish trout i was fishing for kittys,as if the trout were really gonna bite in triple digit weather being that the lake really doesnt have any deep spots. now for a lake that suposedly had been stocking cats and not one caught by anyone come on now this place just sucks

Again, there are a lot of factors to consider and I would certainly never go fishing based on just an announcement of fish being stocked....

I'll usually read about the stocking and then watch for reports to verify the bite is on ....... then when that's looking pretty good, I reach out to friends who have been there recently and ask for their opinions on .....baits, conditions, locations etc..... and sometimes even that is not enough ...... I still get skunked occasionally! LOL!

Corona had a great trout season and once it was in full swing and underway it was an awesome bite most every week..... I think the same will be true with catfish season, give it time and let the water warm up some more..... just because the lake was stocked doesnt mean the fish will be biting.

Sorry about the skunk Omar. See ya soon!

Fisherman57
05-18-2009, 12:14 PM
no cats were caught cuz i wasnt there lol. jk good job on the gills man.

Hey Ernie.....

Did you have more camping stuff you're selling? I may be interested in some of it. Send me a PM with what ya have!

See ya soon!

Dana

troutdog
05-18-2009, 12:18 PM

Kinda early for the kittys to be biting consistently, plus you were fishing in the heat of the day correct? Fishing the evening session is pretty key while the water temps are still warming imo....did you bust out your light sabre rod? :LOL:

I'll call you when it is time to slay the kittys at the Corona...hang in there Skywalker :Wink:

TD

TD

2quikmotorwerks
05-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Kinda early for the kittys to be biting consistently, plus you were fishing in the heat of the day correct? Fishing the evening session is pretty key while the water temps are still warming imo....did you bust out your light sabre rod? :LOL:

I'll call you when it is time to slay the kittys at the Corona...hang in there Skywalker :Wink:

TD

TDactually i fished the evening as well beign that i did the 24hr session. not to mention you can catch kittys any time of the day or season for that matter, that day night thing is a personal prefence not a fact, and no light sabre just the trusty ugly stick and bait runner

ElementX
05-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Went to Corona on Sat, SKUNK. The trout were floating belly up faster than the lake crew could come by and net them.

I think it got too hot. Would suck to have spent the 60.....I felt robbed for 22.
z

Thats why I didn't bother going even at half price. I've been seeing the trout floating dead for about 2 weeks now. A few of them would of been peronal records for me. From a boat you see them all over the lake. On shore they usually wash up around the docks or around that area.

The Angler
05-18-2009, 02:59 PM
z

Thats why I didn't bother going even at half price. I've been seeing the trout floating dead for about 2 weeks now. A few of them would of been peronal records for me. From a boat you see them all over the lake. On shore they usually wash up around the docks or around that area.

Yea when me 7 my dad got a motor boat half way through the day went kept seeing trout floating all over the lake some look like they been dead for awhile.

I dont know if there just reporting stocking cats or what but since last month they have been claiming they have been stocking 20+ pound cats & stocking twice a week ? So far i havent seen any reports on this site about anyone catching ANY cats. From my perspective is that the lake should be sworming with cats all over if they have been stocking 2 times a week since last month. But hey thats just my opinion.

The Angler
05-18-2009, 03:04 PM
i was in the back fishing by the trees just right of the point

From the pay booth to the right is where we went there was i belive 2 tents up in the area . Not the damn area when we got there we were fishing next to 2 black woman maybe u guys were the Black dudes next to them?

2quikmotorwerks
05-18-2009, 03:08 PM
From the pay booth to the right is where we went there was i belive 2 tents up in the area . Not the damn area when we got there we were fishing next to 2 black woman maybe u guys were the Black dudes next to them?i was between the black guys and the tents, i left around 11:30

crappie stalker
05-18-2009, 08:06 PM
Sorry to hear about the skunks on trout and kitties..
Should have gotten the cats.. they are starting to go on the chew..

Better luck next time..

CS

HelloBendo420
05-19-2009, 12:36 AM
"Corona had a great trout season and once it was in full swing and underway it was an awesome bite most every week..... I think the same will be true with catfish season, give it time and let the water warm up some more..... just because the lake was stocked doesnt mean the fish will be biting."

Corona had a great trout season for sure and that's why I can't really complain. I kinda expected the trout to be slow, but still had some hope that we'd find em' and slay em'. Can't wait for the tilapia to be stocked. One stick on kitties and the other on tilapia sounds like a good time to me.

The Angler
05-19-2009, 11:45 AM
"Corona had a great trout season and once it was in full swing and underway it was an awesome bite most every week..... I think the same will be true with catfish season, give it time and let the water warm up some more..... just because the lake was stocked doesnt mean the fish will be biting."

Corona had a great trout season for sure and that's why I can't really complain. I kinda expected the trout to be slow, but still had some hope that we'd find em' and slay em'. Can't wait for the tilapia to be stocked. One stick on kitties and the other on tilapia sounds like a good time to me.

I agree with you about the trout. I have never caught so many trout like i did this year at corona good times.:Cool:

The Angler
05-19-2009, 11:46 AM
i was between the black guys and the tents, i left around 11:30

ok where u the guys with the long hair? Or the dude yelling at every boat coming by about having your line out right there? that **** was funny every time i heard that person yell.

2quikmotorwerks
05-19-2009, 02:25 PM
ok where u the guys with the long hair? Or the dude yelling at every boat coming by about having your line out right there? that **** was funny every time i heard that person yell.i was the guy yelling at all the boats too close to shore,lol

troutdog
05-19-2009, 03:01 PM
i was the guy yelling at all the boats too close to shore,lol

"Outside the buoy line guuuuys"....oh yeah wrong lake :ROFL:

TD