PDA

View Full Version : BIGFOOT SIGHTING! and wild trout DID I MENTION BIGFOOT?!?!?!

City Dad
05-17-2009, 01:58 PM
I owe a great debt of gratitude to my friends on this board who encouraged me to consider “What Bigfoot would do” when I asked for input on how to spend a free morning.
Was hoping to get out last week, but had some business to take care of. This morning however, I made a run for the hills. I wasn’t disappointed.
You know you are in tune with Bigfoot when he shows himself to you – and today I must have been in tune big-time. Check it out… Not only did I see Bigfoot, I got a picture this time!!! Behold
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb225/timmeinhart/CIMG4569.jpg
I hope you can see Bigfoot okay in this photo – my hands were totally shaking!

I could barely calm myself enough to fish… but I managed. Got to the water at about 6am. On the way to my usual stretch I stopped to take a look at a big hole where the bait chuckers like to lounge. Didn’t see any lawn chairs or rolling coolers, but I did see rises. I had to ask myself “Well, City Dad, what would Bigfoot do?” I decided that Bigfoot would hop-scotch through the cast-off powerbait jars and broken beer bottles and fish that hole.
Found a nice little hatch coming off and tied on the closest thing that I had - a #18 white quill parachute. It worked nicely. Feeling lucky, I tied on one the Ritz-winged caddis that TackelJunkie had so much luck with – I’d been itching to try it myself. It drew a few half-hearted swirls but not much more. I figured Bigfoot would have switched back to the little flies, so that’s what I did. Tried a #18 parachute Adams and got a few. Switched back to the white quill and got a bunch more.
It was really slippery and it was all I could do to keep my balance and fish, so I only took two pics. They represent the size range.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb225/timmeinhart/CIMG4565.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb225/timmeinhart/CIMG4567.jpg

The little bug below is one of the reasons this place nice is to fish. They are all over the rocks at the heads of riffles and when the surface action dies down an imitation of these pupa works really well. Today was no exception. Got several more on the nymph and called it a day at around 11:00
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb225/timmeinhart/CIMG4571.jpg
The fly at the far left is my version of the bug above. The other two, a white quill parachute and an Adams parachute are my favorite drys on this stream. I like to tie a few with bright orange wingposts for fishing in the low light of early morning.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb225/timmeinhart/CIMG4574.jpg

All in all, a really good day. Plenty of fish still around and that’s nice to see. Might have to make one more trip out there before summer sets in… and then maybe a couple more after that.
Thanks FNN and Bigfoot!
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb225/timmeinhart/CIMG4577.jpg

tacklejunkie
05-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Great read CD!
Thanks for the pics and the sighting info! :Wink:
That pupa looks like a nano nightcrawler!

bblbasser
05-17-2009, 04:38 PM
I fish baits (lures) that are bigger than those trout 75% (give or take a little) of the time. I get the beauty of the fish/setting thing, but what fun is it to catch for 4 to 6 inch fish? Just talking about the catching part, not the whole experience. Not a dis, just asking.

Troutman65
05-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the nice repprt CD. I think Big Foot would of seen your watch and taken it from you to wear himself.

tacklejunkie
05-17-2009, 05:59 PM
I fish baits (lures) that are bigger than those trout 75% (give or take a little) of the time. I get the beauty of the fish/setting thing, but what fun is it to catch for 4 to 6 inch fish? Just talking about the catching part, not the whole experience. Not a dis, just asking.

Watching them backflip over your surface fly,
Catching wild fish as opposed to something stocked that will eat anything,
The reward of tying your own fly that fools the fish into thinking it's a real bug,
They fight harder than stockers due to their larger fins and tails, (when you do find the big one in the cloud of little ones, it's a straight up creek battle!)
nicer colors and more picturesque,
fun to go hiking and find some fish somewhere, (usually no crowds or people at all!)
you have to sneak up on their pools because half the time if they see you coming they won't touch a thing and run hiding. Most people don't even know they are there. The real meaning of ninja fishing is tossing your fly to actively feeding fat wild trout who have no idea you are there and fooling the bajeesus out of them topwater style so bad they do a cartwheel through the air.

lots of different reasons. They may not fight like a fat belly bass, but they do fight much better than stockers and you actually have to put in some work to get them so it gives you a better sense of accomplishment. They fun just like feisty bluegills can be at times. ;) Some are also very picky like bass, but others will eat anything on a good day.

bblbasser
05-17-2009, 06:34 PM
I'll buy that. I make/pour and paint some of my own lures/swimbaits as well and it is satisfying to catch fish on em. Some of my paint jobs are really ugly and seem to get bit just fine too.

tacklejunkie
05-17-2009, 07:28 PM
There's a real patience required for the fly rod.
Sometimes you'll spend the whole day busting off leaders in the trees and losing spiffy flies that you spent hours tying and not catching any fish.
Other times you'll walk up on the fish feeding on flies all over the place and you could throw in just about anything for a bite. Pretty cool to come up on them chowing down on flies left and right from a fresh hatch. Sometimes I'll just sit back and watch what they do in their tiny little pools for a bit. Helps you learn more about how they feed, rest, act and you can spot the largest ones and watch what they want to do. Interesting little creatures to observe and catch. They look different from different traits in just about every different stream you visit too.

DCCTrouserTrout
05-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Those are some nice looking flies you got there. I started tying my own last October and the fish won't touch them. Guess I need to keep practicing. Oh yeah, cool dog you got there...

sansou
05-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Bigfoot strikes again!

Nice job on the creek trout. Great colors. We need to see more of these Bigfoot reports....too few and far between.

You say "Pupa", I say booger.

City Dad
05-18-2009, 07:20 AM
...oh, and one more thing... poison oak is actually not a myth! Who'd a thought...

hughpam
05-18-2009, 08:16 AM
As a fly fishing addict and a bass fishing addict, I have to say that there are upsides to both. Catching a wild trout, who has survived because they are smart and stealthy is awesome. It's a real challenge. It's ten times better when it's with your own fly, tied by you.

Bass fishing is great. To catch one that is huge is awesome. I still get a thrill to catch one that is not a fingerling, since that is all I could catch for years as a kid.

I have to get to the sierras again.

troutdog
05-18-2009, 09:50 AM
WTG City Dad....nice looking trout on the fly!

Do you anticipate a bigfoot museum opening in So Cal anytime soon?

TD

Skyler
05-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Ha ha ha. Good to see you out there again. When you gonna come out this way and check out the I.E's local bigfoot scene? I got a few spots you'd love.

Fisherman57
05-18-2009, 10:46 AM
Nice report Tim!........ I see Bigfoot perfectly in that pic!
(Then again, I see crop circles in my curly fries)....

Nice report man.... awesome photos.

Dana

Wingnut
05-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Hey Tim, I have a smaller version of BigFoot running around in my house. :LOL:

I need to place an order for a couple of 4-5" Smelt/Sardine pattern Streamers and some 3" Clousers... almost time to hit the surf with my fly gear and go after some Flatties. :Wink:

BTW - Catching a 5 inch Trout will put the same smile on my face as catching a legal Halibut. If people don't get that... don't bother explaining it to them, they wouldn't understand anyways. :Wink:

City Dad
05-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Hey Tim, I have a smaller version of BigFoot running around in my house. :LOL:

I need to place an order for a couple of 4-5" Smelt/Sardine pattern Streamers and some 3" Clousers... almost time to hit the surf with my fly gear and go after some Flatties. :Wink:

Dude, one condition; you gotta take me to the spot where you stuck that 28" hali. (I've sent a memo to my boss... er I mean wife requesting... I mean demanding and all-day pass at some point this summer.) I don't think most people realize what a feat you pulled off on that one. IMHO that's, like, the fly fishing equivilant of a walk-off grand slam!

Wingnut
05-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Dude, one condition; you gotta take me to the spot where you stuck that 28" hali. (I've sent a memo to my boss... er I mean wife requesting... I mean demanding and all-day pass at some point this summer.) I don't think most people realize what a feat you pulled off on that one. IMHO that's, like, the fly fishing equivilant of a walk-off grand slam!

It's a deal Tim! I actually invited you a couple of times last year to come and fish that area with me. But you turned me down. :LOL: Halibut are fun to catch on the fly... but what I really want is to get my first Corbina on the fly. :Twisted: Let me know when my order is ready, take your time. :Wink: