PDA

View Full Version : help a brother out re: catalina

scubadanster
06-19-2007, 04:44 PM
hey all~

been really learning a lot from this board...thank you ALL.

anyhow, planning on going back to catalina on 6/30.

i would truly appreciate any and all advice.
(ie. best spots to fish for newbies, danger zones/rocks, etc)

so far i've learned to head out early....but just how early?

is it best to take off from the long beach wall towards the north side of the island or should we aim for the avalon area?

thanks, fellas!!

-dan

:wink:

vanillagurilla
06-19-2007, 04:54 PM
I WANA GO lol.. i heard in between bird island and the main island is a good spot. that and any kelp beds.

scubadanster
06-19-2007, 04:58 PM
vanilla!
sure!
you are more than welcome to! but just not the 30th...the boat is 26' and it's already going to be a bit tight w/ a few fellas.

i have a proposition though: we can use my boat as long as you (someone) can teach me some good lessons of fishing so cal waters! i want to visit the horseshoe kelp, flats, etc.

thanks for the pointers, vanilla....maybe you could tag along next round!

-dan

vanillagurilla
06-19-2007, 05:04 PM
sounds like a good deal.. i dont know where or how to get to the spots but i do know how to catch them... been to all the spots though!! i caught a 30lb hali in the long beach harbor inside the break wall. theres islands where big boats come in and out.. we wait for them to come in and pull out then.. right when ther pulling out we drift through bouncing chovies off the bottom to pick up halis.

scubadanster
06-19-2007, 09:19 PM
nice!!!

will try that one day.

vanillagurilla
06-19-2007, 09:49 PM
no problem also you can fish the whole break wall inside and out and catch lots of calicos. i like to use fish traps with 1/2 oz heads with a squid strip on the hook. btw. keep me in the back of your mind next time u plan on going out. im not to far from LB.

DA_Beaut
06-20-2007, 12:36 AM
Catalina has tons of spots to hit up. First try El Galleons in Avalon, then make a run to Two Harbors for a relaxing lunch and oh wait, your talking about fishing spots. My bad.

Best spot to hit up would be the Eagle Rock area near Cat Harbor (Backside of Two Harbors). From there make a move down the island looking for drop-offs and fish both the highs and the lows. Pick yourself up a good map of the island and put the coordinates in your GPS. This forum also has some good coordinates to bring with you. Do a search and you'll find plenty.

Two last things- pay attention to the currents. You'll usually have the best opportunity when the current is moving. Slack tide makes for a slow day. And finally, if your looking to buy fresh squid you'll need to get to the island before 5am. Squids be hard to get and the barges usually sell out fast.

Best of luck and maybe try to buddy up with someone who wouldn't mind showing a newbee a good time. I've buddy'd up with a few folks from here (FNN) and have had a great time. See ya on the water one day!!!

-DA_Beaut (I'll be out there this Sunday)

Brad100
06-20-2007, 07:39 AM
Hey - I just saw this map on another FN report... shows the spots that guys talk about (I was never sure where they were). Good luck.

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/catalinafishingmap1.JPG

DA_Beaut
06-20-2007, 07:49 AM
Good morning Brad. I have a few laminated maps of the island as well as maps of clemente and san diego. I have an extra catalina map that I'll give ya next time we meet up. My wife and I are heading on vacation next week (for two weeks) but when we return let's plan a trip.

scubadanster
06-20-2007, 08:07 AM
you guys are awesome~

thanks for the tips.....

i am so excited about going to catalina...

i will open the boat up for anyone who wants to join in next time..

thanks again.

-dan

DA_Beaut
06-20-2007, 08:37 AM
Good morning Dan. Best of Luck on the 30th at the Island. I'd buddy boat with ya that day but will be vacationing with the wife.

Hit me up if you have any other questions and I'll be more than happy to share with you what know.

Where do you live? If you don't have a map of the island I can make you a copy of mine and mail or meet up with you this weekend.

-Robert

scubadanster
06-20-2007, 08:41 AM
hey rob!
thanks for the kind offer!

i live in long beach....my boat is in a slip....
right near davie's launch ramp....

if you ever want to tag along, you have a seat ready for ya.

as for that map....thanks for the offer....i'll look online first though.

have a great vacation!

-dan